Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-10-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How inspired do you feel in your aikido training currently?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of February 10, 2008:

How inspired do you feel in your aikido training currently?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Extremely inspired
  • Very inspired
  • Somewhat inspired
  • Not very inspired
  • Not at all inspired
Here are the current results.

Cast your vote at the top right of this page.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:56 AM   #2
Avery Jenkins

Dojo: Litchfield Hills Aikikai
Re: Poll: How inspired do you feel in your aikido training currently?

I don't know about the rest of you, but life keeps getting in the $%^&*! way. Oh to be single, childless and with a 9-to-5 job again...

Avery Jenkins
Author of Dark River, to be released in Oct. 2020
www.averyjenkinsauthor.com
Old 02-10-2008, 06:22 AM   #3
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Quote:
Avery Jenkins wrote: View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but life keeps getting in the $%^&*! way. Oh to be single, childless and with a 9-to-5 job again...
That's really a complaint about aging, isn't it?

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 02-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
Ryan Sanford
Dojo: Northwest Aikido
United_States

Quote:
inspired
adj : of such surpassing excellence as to suggest divine
inspiration; "her pies were simply divine"; "the divine
Shakespeare"; "an elysian meal"; "an inspired
performance" [syn: divine, elysian]

According to that definition, I don't feel very inspired at all in my Aikido training.

"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self." - Aldous Huxley
Old 02-10-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

As I integrate aikido more and more into my daily life, I am very inspired to continue. There is the ongoing study of ki-musubi, the ongoing study of omote and ura, the ukemi of nature... Endless inspiration all around.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 02-11-2008, 03:27 AM   #6
Rolf Granlund
Dojo: Shinsuikan/Genoa, Ohio
United_States

For the moment I am very much inspired as I will be testing for 1st kyu next weekend. But beyond that I had answered somewhat inspired as I am just beginning to understand or see how aikido can affect me outside the dojo. It's like walking past a restaurant and catching a whiff of the steaks grilling inside. Not quite enough to make you go in but you realize that something good is going on.

Perhaps I am too focused on the test right now. But I know that a seed has been planted.

With Respect,
Rolf Granlund
Old 02-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
GrazZ
Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkai Canada

honestly, recently i haven't been inspired at all, i've pretty much given up on aikido being any sort of practical self defence. It works in theory but to actually use it in real life its pretty much pointless. After i became a 1st kyu in Nov. i really started to think about exactly what was going on with the techniques we do and how we do them, and i really see a massive problem with it.

Ok heres the deal with Aikido as i see it these days:

I've been doing Yoshinkan Aikido for the last 4.5 years now. Aikido in general, as an art, can be devastating, the problem is it is nearly impossible to pull off in a real fight against someone who knows another martial art or in general really. Unless you are a GOD with your timing, the odds of you catching someone are very slim. There are like a handful of people in the history of Aikido who were ever that good. It also depends on the style of Aikido as well, i've trained some Aikikai and I actually had some guy try to "ki" me to the ground with 2 fingers....it was the most pathetic thing i have ever seen and some people DO give Aikido a bad name.

It is definitely largely theoretical tho because most of the stuff you do on a regular basis is based on very specific forms of attacks with no real variation on how that attack is delivered. 99% of people practicing Aikido have no idea how to throw a punch nor what to do against someone who is actually good at something else. What happens when the Muay Thai kickboxer throws a hard leg kick to your lead leg in basic stance, grabs you behind the head in the clinch or even throws a jab out and snaps it back instead of following through like we are "supposed" to do in aikido? or the grappler who shoots in at your legs and you end up on the ground? as aikidoka we are screwed. Why? because we are never exposed to these situations.

Reason being is that no one trains the way Aikido is supposed to be practiced i.e. with someone fully committing to an attack. Back in the day they could, because there was the whole "uchi deshi" idea where basically all you do is Aikido all day every day and so you got the timing and skill required to do things properly.

That being said no one WANTS to throw a real punch at someone who knows what they are doing because the harder you throw the harder you *get* thrown, so most people just take the easy way out. Its a big problem with Aikido and it is one that anyone who practices the art these days and isnt completely blind should admit to. Problem is everyone has to get up and go to work the next day and no one wants to get injured.

Its great as an activity, but to sit here and debate aikido as a meaningful martial art technique wise, i think, is a joke. All the principles are there and work, but the application is not. Although Ueshiba sensei's idea of "no competition" sounds nice, in reality it is a MASSIVE blow to the effectiveness of the art since it takes the sense of urgency out of what you are doing. And even if someone is to commit to an attack, who the hell is going to run at you head down and grab your wrist in real life, then follow you around in a nice circle to complete the nice tenkan (ni) technique? Or even better, is going to come up to you, grab your wrist and then stand there waiting for you to do an irimi (ichi) technique???

Sorry this was along post, but yes, not very inspired these days.

Last edited by GrazZ : 02-11-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:04 AM   #8
MarkDole
Guadeloupe

Hi Andrew

Aikido is long and SLOW way. You are at the very beginning of it just as I am after 9 yrs. Why the hurry? Are you often attacked by muay tai fighters or others? Effectiveness will come if you are patient and diligent. If you are you will get much more from aikido than just that. If not then you are right, it doesn't worth a penny. But it's not aikido then which doesn't worth it. It's what you achieved instead of it.

Last edited by MarkDole : 02-12-2008 at 03:09 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:00 AM   #9
barron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai
Canada
Talking Re: Poll: How inspired do you feel in your aikido training currently?

Inspiration missing………………… then you must be in expiration! We can't expect to continue to inhale . At some point we have to use what we have taken in to that point and exhale; then inhale again (find new inspiration).

I'm continually breathing.

On the point on effectiveness and functionality of aikido for "fighting" I'd say my last fight was in grade school and I'm almost retired at this point in my life. I know those Karate and Thai Boxers are tough but the "real" ones I've met, are nice people. The other ones I avoid or give them my wallet!!!!!!

Our Sensei is giving a seminar at the end of the month on "fighting/self defence" and as he has said to us , and I paraphrase, " this will not be Aikido this will be self defence."

I can't wait to fight dirty for a weekend and then go back to what I love, and that is the art of Aikido.

Cheers

Andrew Barron
Old 02-13-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
Dieter Haffner

Dojo: Tai Wa Lokeren, Budokai Mechelen
Belgium

So many things for me to learn.
Even more things I will need to learn that I am not aware of at the moment.
And so little time to do it in.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:23 PM   #11
jxa127

Hi all,

Yeah, I'm not that inspired at all right now. And, I'm not sure what I need to do to get inspired.

I definitely need to train more, but the quality of my training and my specific goals are all in question. I'm supposed to test for my black belt, but I haven't been training regularly since I took time off last spring to finish my master's thesis so I could graduate on time.

I think my first step will be simply training more often. Then I'll figure out what I really need to work on and start focusing on what I need to do to improve.

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames
Old 02-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #12
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Missed you this past weekend Drew! I was counting on doing sumo with you!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 02-14-2008, 05:49 AM   #13
jxa127

Hi Ron!

I've lost 41 pounds since September, so I'm not quite as formidable as I used to be. :-D

Seriously, though, I think a seminar or camp would help me get back into the swing of things. Sometimes it's good to go beyond one's own dojo for training partners. I probably should have been there. I'll keep my eyes open for the next opportunity.

Next time, drop me a note when you're heading this way. I'll be sure to be there.

Regards,

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames
Old 02-14-2008, 07:45 AM   #14
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Kool! Now at least I have a chance at sumo with you! If I'm lucky...

I hope to be up that way more, the Itten dojo guys are really strong...makes for good keiko.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 02-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #15
GrazZ

Quote:
Balázs Magyar wrote: View Post
Hi Andrew

Aikido is long and SLOW way. You are at the very beginning of it just as I am after 9 yrs. Why the hurry? Are you often attacked by muay tai fighters or others? Effectiveness will come if you are patient and diligent. If you are you will get much more from aikido than just that. If not then you are right, it doesn't worth a penny. But it's not aikido then which doesn't worth it. It's what you achieved instead of it.
Aikido is fundamentally a MARTIAL art. Honestly the whole argument you hear of "ohhhhh well we study aikido to NOT get into fights" is complete garbage, im sorry. I used to think the same as you "effectiveness will just...come" like one day it would just show up or something. Do you seriously believe that? You honestly think with the training you get now you can you can reach this magical invincible plateau when we are taught that uke has to follow and we need to be in harmony? Its nice in the dojo but in the real world...i dont think so. The point is not "how often are you attacked by x or y" the point is from a MARTIAL point of view i think Aikido is severely lacking, unfortunately what we do have is a LOT of this hippy "aikido is the martial art of love" bullshit which ruins it imo.

I dunno maybe its the old pre-war Yoshinkan style O Sensei in me talking.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #16
Joseph Madden
Canada

Andrew,
You make some valid points regarding aikido. To often the atemi used in some classes is insincere. In other words, there is NO force behind the punch. And since atemi is 70% on any fight, its rather useless to practice something that has no "weight" behind it. When I first started aikido a couple of years before you, I got cracked in the head, nose and chin a couple of times. They weren't huge hits, but it taught me enough to remember to block. And for those times that I didn't I took it. Chris Johnson even bloodied my lip once and I kept going. Of late, to many students are either to nervous and/or reticent about hitting or being hit. In the past students like that would leave if they didn't have it or couldn't take it. As the owner of a dojo Sensei must be cognizant of the fact that he has to have so many students to keep his dojo open. Some of them are gonna be, for lack of any other word; wimps. If you are in a class where it seems like some much "dancing" and your not feeling threatened then maybe it is time to seek other avenues. I know that I will use my abilities as best I can if the need ever arises. I may take some lumps. I also know that I will give as good as I get. That's all apart of taking care of yourself. I feel that Sensei has given me the tools to protect myself. How I use those tools is strictly up to me. Whatever road you decide to take I know you will succeed. Best of luck.

Joe

Last edited by Joseph Madden : 02-15-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #17
GrazZ

oh i'll still be around, i just feel the need lately to snap out of being complacent with the way we train, im considering telling all my ukes from now not to actually do the attack, if i catch someone going through the motions they will a) get smacked or b) the tech just wont work

as a senior i also feel the need to accurately represent Aikido when im in the dojo, not a caricature of what we are supposed to be doing
Old 02-15-2008, 07:39 PM   #18
Joseph Madden
Canada

Do it man. Smack them around. And don't be afraid to snap some wrists if the need arises.

Joe
Old 02-18-2008, 02:16 AM   #19
MarkDole
Guadeloupe

Quote:
Andrew Lang wrote: View Post
Aikido is fundamentally a MARTIAL art. Honestly the whole argument you hear of "ohhhhh well we study aikido to NOT get into fights" is complete garbage, im sorry. I used to think the same as you "effectiveness will just...come" like one day it would just show up or something. Do you seriously believe that? You honestly think with the training you get now you can you can reach this magical invincible plateau when we are taught that uke has to follow and we need to be in harmony? Its nice in the dojo but in the real world...i dont think so. The point is not "how often are you attacked by x or y" the point is from a MARTIAL point of view i think Aikido is severely lacking, unfortunately what we do have is a LOT of this hippy "aikido is the martial art of love" bullshit which ruins it imo.

I dunno maybe its the old pre-war Yoshinkan style O Sensei in me talking.
Hey, Andrew. I didn't tell you, that I don't have effectiveness I told you that you would have some too, if you practice properly. The martial part of a martial art is as important as the art part. So we must concentrate on every aspect of aikido of course. This is not a plateau but a mountain. You will get things step by step not by a jump. If you want to. If you want to fight before you are prepared then go and fight. But I don't recommend aikido for that, because almost everything is easier to learn than that. You are impatient and far from being a senior with ikkyu. Someone (maybe Tamura sensei) said shodan means that you are not a guest in the dojo anymore... So what are we talking about? Revise your goals and find another dojo or martial art if needed. But I think it's better to find other goals.

Last edited by MarkDole : 02-18-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:41 AM   #20
dbotari
Canada

Quote:
Andrew Lang wrote: View Post
oh i'll still be around, i just feel the need lately to snap out of being complacent with the way we train, im considering telling all my ukes from now not to actually do the attack, if i catch someone going through the motions they will a) get smacked or b) the tech just wont work

as a senior i also feel the need to accurately represent Aikido when im in the dojo, not a caricature of what we are supposed to be doing
Andrew,

I can understand your feeling regarding the effectiveness of Aikido. I'd point out that your dissatisfaction may not be with Aikido per se but rather the way in which we train Aikido at the dojo. As Joe has pointed out and Sensei has often said, if he makes the training too hard no one shows up. So this creates a bit of a problem for those of us who search for the "martial" effectiveness.

A solution could be to train outside of class with like minded people in a more "active" scenario based way. Put on some gloves and work with a boxer, karate guy etc. There are many threads on this board that discuss this type of training possibility.

Lastly, regarding your thoughts on the effectiveness of Aikido as a means of self defence, I suggest you talk to Reg about his experiences. He has used and continues to use Aikido in his work place. If you get the chance speak to him and ask his thought on the "martial effectiveness" of Aikido. He may even have some suggestions as to incorporate a more "martial mindset" into everyday training.

Chin up, we all have our doubts about this from time to time. Just keep training, talk to your seniors (maybe even to sensei) and the answers will come.

Hope this helps,

Dan