Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-10-2001, 06:43 AM   #1
Dave Curran
Dojo: Bicester Shintaiki Akido Club
Smile Short Intro and question.. newbie!

Firstly, hi all.. just registered, and I'm about to begin Aikido.

I'm 22 and am planning on going to my first class on Monday at my local Dojo and am interested on other peoples thoughts and tips for what will happen. I've been told best thing to wear is tracksuit bottoms and a t-shirt, any particular footwear recommended for off the mat?

I've read the beginners guide at http://home.clara.net/aikido/ which has a lot of useful info, and finally found a site describing how to sit seiza(!) with other basic information, but does anyone have any personal tips or thoughts for a complete newbie, what to expect, terms etc? Are there places to change generally, should I bother taking any clothes to change into or just wear the jogging trousers / tshirt there and back.. excuse my ignorance.

Thanks in advance, wish me luck
Dave
Old 05-10-2001, 01:14 PM   #2
CraigJamieson
Dojo: Ki Federation of GB
Cool Just Enjoy it

Dont worry so much. Im sure your future sensei would be happy just to get a new member, likewise his students. Just go along and enjoy the class. One thing that will help, if sensei asks for a volunteer, get up there! it might be a good thing!!!And youll get to feel your senseis aikido first hand.
Hope you keep practising!!!!
craig
Old 05-10-2001, 01:14 PM   #3
Shipley
Dojo: UBC Okanagan Aikido Club
Canada
Hi Dave,

Footwear in the dojo is usually optional. You take off your shoes just as you come in the door at most dojos, then some people like to have a pair of sandals that they wear when off of the mat, and others (like me) just tramp around barefoot. There's almost always a place to change, and it is generally not a great thing to wear your training clothes outside anyways as it brings dirt into the dojo. You probably won't be training long before you are wearing a gi anyhow. The sweat pants are a must to keep you from getting raw spots on your knees.

Some things to expect first off.

1. You probably won't have a clue what everybody is doing for the first couple of classes, just follow along as best you can with the bowing in and such. This is especially true if the new class doesn't all start at the same time so you would be training with people ranging from zero to three months of experience.

2. For most people, seiza is something that you get used to over time. It really does get more comfortable after a while.

3. When in doubt, bow. Works for lots of situations .

Hope you have a great time starting your aikido training!

Best of luck,

Paul
Old 05-10-2001, 03:28 PM   #4
guest1234
if it's a rather formal place with a lot or rules, then there will undoubtedly be a senior student assigned to show you the ropes when you arrive. If it's a more relaxed kind of place, and no one offers to show you some basics you can always ask anyone you see...but i wouldn't sweat not knowing in a place that relaxed (if they thought it was REALLY important, someone would tell you). If you are training with someone and there's a fall involved that you don't know how to do, tell them BEFORE they throw you (they might not know you are new).
Have fun!
Old 05-11-2001, 10:25 AM   #5
Daniel Trottier
I just started AIKIDO myself and this is something that might help you. When observing a tehchnique do not just look at the execution of the attack (I know I am using the wrong terminology...I just started myslef). Also look at the way the fall is executed (this will help you on the first day). I was mostly concentrating on the hand movements and forgot to observe the foot work.
Another thing:
Expect to be completely lost its normal!

___
Dan