Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #51
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: "The Future of Aikido"

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
I like what Mr. Dean has to say, but I dislike the language suggesting that Aikido is dying or dead.
At least he didn't pulled a Tadashi Abe.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #52
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Aikido Journal readers should gander at this thread for a more detailed view of the above comment.http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19776

Motto tsuyoku
Old 04-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #53
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
Well something tells me I would enjoy Roy Dean's company a lot more than Tadashi Abe's.

Quote:
Igor Vojnović wrote:
I honestly don't understand why he wants to go on Joe Rogan's show, it's ridiculous.
My guess is because he respects his opinion and wants to offer a more comprehensive view of Aikido than the other guest was able to give...particularly considering what he had to say about Pranin Sensei's efforts to make Aikido more easily understood in general.
I personally like Joe Rogan (as much as I can like a person I essentially don't know at all). He's dedicated a serious portion of his life to his practices and seems to make a sincere effort to get at the truth of things.
Arguably, if someone were to try and generate more dialogue and interaction between the Aikido world and other martial arts, it makes sense to speak about it on a platform many people listen to. Roy Dean and Joe Rogan both share a BJJ background from which to explore the relevancy of Aikido.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 04-07-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 04-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #54
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Serbia

Quote:
He's dedicated a serious portion of his life to his practices and seems to make a sincere effort to get at the truth of things.
Well that's the problem, he doesn't. Back in the early days of his rise to fame he claimed how he was a Taekwondo, open weight of some sort, US Open "Grand champion" which has since then been disputed because there newer was such a format held at an official US Open tournament.
Then it was speculated whether he was an ITF Taekwondo practitioner and whether the tournament he participated in was some sort of "open weight" format tournament under an ITF organization or an "open martial arts tournament" of some sort. The problem is that there are several ITF organizations and a myriad of open martial arts and full contact tournaments so it's hard to corroborate his story. Also he claimed he was trying to get into the Olympic team, so he had to be a part of some WTF affiliated club or organization but again there is no such information. Now it's all basically just down to speculation, which Rogan doesn't intend on clarifying off course. Looking at the the way he talks about martial arts and everything else i just don't see the reason for Dean going on his show.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:57 PM   #55
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
Igor Vojnović wrote: View Post
Well that's the problem, he doesn't. Back in the early days of his rise to fame he claimed how he was a Taekwondo, open weight of some sort, US Open "Grand champion" which has since then been disputed because there newer was such a format held at an official US Open tournament.
Then it was speculated whether he was an ITF Taekwondo practitioner and whether the tournament he participated in was some sort of "open weight" format tournament under an ITF organization or an "open martial arts tournament" of some sort. The problem is that there are several ITF organizations and a myriad of open martial arts and full contact tournaments so it's hard to corroborate his story. Also he claimed he was trying to get into the Olympic team, so he had to be a part of some WTF affiliated club or organization but again there is no such information. Now it's all basically just down to speculation, which Rogan doesn't intend on clarifying off course. Looking at the the way he talks about martial arts and everything else i just don't see the reason for Dean going on his show.
Interesting. You seem to have done more research on him than I have. I can only add that the handful of things I've seen of him lends to a more positive impression, but I suppose that's all beside the point. Mr. Dean seems to think having a more comprehensive discussion would at least be beneficial on some level; maybe it's more about the platform itself and not the man who runs it?

Gambarimashyo!
Old 04-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #56
MrIggy
Serbia

Quote:
Interesting. You seem to have done more research on him than I have. I can only add that the handful of things I've seen of him lends to a more positive impression, but I suppose that's all beside the point. Mr. Dean seems to think having a more comprehensive discussion would at least be beneficial on some level; maybe it's more about the platform itself and not the man who runs it?
I hope so. If it comes to it we shall see what happens.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:33 AM   #57
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States

The research doesn't include some of the highlights like his running the remake of the Man Show, or Fear Factor, or his being skeptical of things like the moon landing. I remember a barbecued deer penis contest that he got to give the commentary on.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #58
MrIggy
Serbia

Quote:
John Hillson wrote: View Post
The research doesn't include some of the highlights like his running the remake of the Man Show, or Fear Factor, or his being skeptical of things like the moon landing. I remember a barbecued deer penis contest that he got to give the commentary on.
I was sticking to the martial arts part, but your contribution is valid.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:59 PM   #59
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States

If Neil Degrasse Tyson couldn't convince Rogan the moon landing was real, then Dean has his work cut out for him if he is to have any chance of changing Rogan's mind about Aikido.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #60
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
John Hillson wrote: View Post
If Neil Degrasse Tyson couldn't convince Rogan the moon landing was real, then Dean has his work cut out for him if he is to have any chance of changing Rogan's mind about Aikido.
Oh my! Indeed.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 04-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #61
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

https://youtu.be/otaDcixjPUI

i think for most of us, we could replace 'jiu jitsu' with 'aikido' and the video kind of rings true

Last edited by ramenboy : 04-10-2017 at 12:23 PM.

practice hard
Old 05-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #62
mjhacker

Dojo: Renshinkan
United_States

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
Doshu's son Mitsuteru will have an even bigger problem.
I recall a conversation between my first teacher and another person back when Mitsuteru-san was still young a child and hadn't started training yet. They gist of the conversation was that they thought he (Mitsuteru) should be sent to Saito, Shioda, and Tohei for a few years each before assuming his responsibilities within the Aikikai. Who knows what might've come had their advice been followed.

Michael Hacker
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Renshinkan
http://renshindojo.com/
自由心流合気武道 - 鍛心館

The Language of Aikido
http://thelanguageofaikido.com/
Old 03-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #63
JLRonin

United_States
Thumbs up Re: "The Future of Aikido"

[quote=Demetrio Cereijo;350535]Politics, poor training methods, poor teaching methods, pseudo-philosophical ramblings, cultish behaviors, abusive behaviors, sub-par martial performance... the list would be too long.[/QUOTE

Bravo; Right On!
Old 03-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #64
JLRonin

United_States
Cool Re: "The Future of Aikido"

Aikido will not die if You Personally Love the Art, Practice seriously and truthfully, Take It to Heart without any personal interests in boasting or ranking or promotions or egos.