Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-15-2005, 06:47 AM   #1
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia
Yoshinkan folks pls come in

Hello Yoshinkan folks,

Does Yoshinkan has doing spiritual & shinto excersice? I heard that Yoshinkan is realistic and going to no religion, is it just simply normal warm up excersice and waza practice?

OSU!

KamiKaze
Old 05-15-2005, 08:25 AM   #2
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan
Re: Yoshinkan folks pls come in

I've always trained it in the way you've heard.
No clapping, etc. Just Osu!
Old 05-15-2005, 06:09 PM   #3
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Q: Does Yoshinkan has doing spiritual & shinto excersice?

Typically, no. However I'm sure there are individual dojo's in this world that may do just that.

Yoshinkan is the development of the mind and body through the repetitive practice of the basic movments and techiniques, as handed down to us by O'Sensei, via Gozo Shioda Kancho.

I wonder, what is the real question you are seeking? Your website indicates you've had various Aikido instructors including Yoshinkan teachers.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:01 PM   #4
maikerus
Dojo: Roppongi Yoshinkan Aikido / Roppongi, Tokyo, Japan
Japan

Quote:
Anthony Wong wrote:
Hello Yoshinkan folks,

Does Yoshinkan has doing spiritual & shinto excersice? I heard that Yoshinkan is realistic and going to no religion, is it just simply normal warm up excersice and waza practice?

OSU!
Hey Anthony,

I wouldn't say "simply" anything. I would also stress that exercise and waza lead to more than just more exercise and waza...I wouldn't call it religion, but it certainly is self growth and personal development.

My few yen,

--Michael

Hiriki no yosei 3 - The kihon that makes your head ache instead of your legs
Old 05-15-2005, 11:12 PM   #5
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Quote:
Anthony Wong wrote:
Hello Yoshinkan folks,

Does Yoshinkan has doing spiritual & shinto exercises? I heard that Yoshinkan is realistic and going to no religion, is it just simply normal warm up exercises and waza practice?

OSU!
Hello Anthony,

No shinto nor spiritual exercise emphasis in my dojo. Religion is also not mentioned at all in class. Yes, our class start with normal warm exercise then proceed with waza practice and end up with randori session.

There is no religious, quasi-religious, nor spiritual emphasis in our dojo. What you'd expect are study of kineaslogy, bio-mechanical and its manipulation to achieve realistic martial application. We also use bio-feedback (feelings) to help us learn how to effectively apply the techniques. So pretty down to earth, hard practice. Ki or religious study are up to individual; but outside mat time on your own effort.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:30 AM   #6
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

Quote:
Steven Miranda wrote:
Q: Does Yoshinkan has doing spiritual & shinto excersice?

Typically, no. However I'm sure there are individual dojo's in this world that may do just that.

Yoshinkan is the development of the mind and body through the repetitive practice of the basic movments and techiniques, as handed down to us by O'Sensei, via Gozo Shioda Kancho.

I wonder, what is the real question you are seeking? Your website indicates you've had various Aikido instructors including Yoshinkan teachers.
I do mean funakogi, furitama, kodotama, etc.................

KamiKaze
Old 07-28-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
Kevin Temple
Dojo: Jinbukan
Canada

In my classes, there is no mention of spirituality or religion, nor is there ever any mention of this "ki" stuff, it is simply repetition of techniques and learning how to use both your body mechanics and your opponents
Old 08-12-2005, 06:50 PM   #8
ad_adrian

Dojo: Yoshinkan Brisbane Dojo
Australia

i do yoshinkan...and i beleive it can be as spiritual or un spiritual as you want it to be
Old 10-20-2006, 01:22 AM   #9
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

Quote:
Adrian Stuart wrote:
i do yoshinkan...and i beleive it can be as spiritual or un spiritual as you want it to be
I have return to Shudokan Dojo in Seri Kembangan since half year ago, Ramlan Sensei doesn't teach Shinto things around there. Christians can practice Yoshinkan Aikido without any nervous as i have to watch, he never bows to shomen or kamiza evenly keiko starts and finishes. We're just bow with sensei or each others, nothing with Shinto or Omotokyo like what did O Sensei teach about.

KamiKaze
Old 10-20-2006, 05:34 AM   #10
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane

Quote:
Anthony Wong wrote:
Hello Yoshinkan folks,

OSU!
I'm not Yoshinkan, but I resent the idea that you think aikido has a religious aspect. Ueshiba stated specifically that what he is teaching is not religion and that his religion is his own! Ki development might be related to spiritual exerices, but surely aikido techniques are supposed to be ki practise as well?

The real practise IS the spiritual aspect, surely? I would have nothing to do with anyone who considers aikido to be religious. (I'm not referring to yourself, but to instructors who would say this) - maybe its a translation thing, but in the UK at least there is a big difference between religion and spirituality.

Last edited by ian : 10-20-2006 at 05:36 AM.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 10-20-2006, 08:05 AM   #11
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

This can be a very interesting, and somewhat contentious issue in some quarters.

I have to agree with the majority of posters when they say that Yoshinkan aikido does not overtly teach religeon. Self development and spiritual issues are left up to the individual to treat as they wish. But...to say that there are none of the types of exercises specifically referenced "funakogi, furitama, kodotama", etc., might not be strictly accurate. In that one viewpoint of exercises like these is that they are exercises to develop certain body skills, and not just religeous rituals, I think it would be a mistake to dismiss them. I have seen "the rowing exercise" practised in yoshinkan dojo, and our warm ups are standard enough in Ki_society dojo that a 6th dan from that school remarked "those are ki exercises". Now, of course, they have never been referred to as "ki exercises" to me by any Yoshinkan instructor. It is worth noting however, that chinkon kishin, which has it's roots in esoteric shintoism, is a part of those warm ups, and has also been described as a form of marital qi gong.

So....no, no overt religeous tones, but there are elements that have had religeous tones in the past, that are kept because of their application to physical aspects of training, in my opinion.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-21-2006, 06:08 PM   #12
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
This can be a very interesting, and somewhat contentious issue in some quarters.

I have to agree with the majority of posters when they say that Yoshinkan aikido does not overtly teach religeon. Self development and spiritual issues are left up to the individual to treat as they wish. But...
Yes, Ron. I find it interesting that Shioda sensei chose the name "yo-shin-kan". The "yo" is the same as in "yoseikan," meaning "to cultivate." But the "shin" is the same as in "shinto"--meaning "kami" or "god." So "yoshinkan" can be read as "the place to cultivate god (or "the gods")".

For what that's worth.

Best wishes.

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 10-22-2006, 03:42 AM   #13
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

Quote:
David Orange wrote:
Yes, Ron. I find it interesting that Shioda sensei chose the name "yo-shin-kan".
While he obviously thought "Yoshinkan" was a suitable name for his dojo, I thought he didn't so much choose it as 'inherit' it in honour of his father.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #14
Adam Huss

United_States

This is true, Sean. Shioda Sensei took over his father's dojo, the Yoshinkan. The method of aikido that he taught was named after that dojo.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 10-22-2006, 12:54 PM   #15
Steven

United_States

Shioda did not "take over" his fathers dojo. The original Yoshinkan Aikido dojo was financed by a business men and they placed Shioda in charge, hence the title of Kancho. The name Yoshinkan was the same name his father used for his kendo and judo school. The shin, as translated by the Yoshinkai Foundation is "spirit", or House to cultivate the spirit.

This is all documented at Aikido Journal/AikiNews as well as in the prologue of Total Aikido where Shioda Yasuhisa says "to cultivate mind and spirit" as the translation.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/...highlight=1954

Last edited by Steven : 10-22-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:48 AM   #16
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Steven already corrected the misunderstanding (Hi Steven!). Best to all the yoshin orcs on the thread!

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 10-24-2006, 10:28 PM   #17
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

Quote:
David Orange wrote:
Yes, Ron. I find it interesting that Shioda sensei chose the name "yo-shin-kan". The "yo" is the same as in "yoseikan," meaning "to cultivate." But the "shin" is the same as in "shinto"--meaning "kami" or "god." So "yoshinkan" can be read as "the place to cultivate god (or "the gods")".

For what that's worth.

Best wishes.

David
Dave,

It's incorrect, Yo Shin Kan means house or hall of cultivate spirit not gods. It's seishin not kami as you said about. "Shin" has other varation and other than religious, such as you are strong spirit, tired or sleepy. It's other than religous of "shin character", not "reikon".

KamiKaze
Old 10-24-2006, 10:35 PM   #18
KamiKaze_Evolution
Malaysia

Ramlan Sensei had share with me briefly about ki concept of Yoshinkan Aikido, that is timing and energy not "chi" as peoples consider about. If i wanna practice "chi", he says i rather practice "qigong" than martial arts. So, anybody can share with me furtherly?

KamiKaze
Old 10-27-2006, 06:34 AM   #19
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
Steven Miranda wrote:
Shioda did not "take over" his fathers dojo. The original Yoshinkan Aikido dojo was financed by a business men and they placed Shioda in charge, hence the title of Kancho. The name Yoshinkan was the same name his father used for his kendo and judo school. The shin, as translated by the Yoshinkai Foundation is "spirit", or House to cultivate the spirit.

This is all documented at Aikido Journal/AikiNews as well as in the prologue of Total Aikido where Shioda Yasuhisa says "to cultivate mind and spirit" as the translation.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/...highlight=1954

Steve,

Just to clarify, Shioda Gozo's Yoshinkan dojo and Shioda Seiichi's Yoshinkan dojo were at seperate locations?

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 10-27-2006, 07:32 AM   #20
Ron Tisdale
United_States

I believe that is correct, seperate locations.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 10-27-2006, 10:50 AM   #21
MM
United_States

Quote:
Adam Huss wrote:
Steve,

Just to clarify, Shioda Gozo's Yoshinkan dojo and Shioda Seiichi's Yoshinkan dojo were at seperate locations?
Hello Adam,

That's my understanding of it, also. The elder Shioda's dojo was built in the early 1900s, I believe. The article at Aikido Journal (link below) mentions the younger Shioda's dojo being constructed 1954-55.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/article.php?articleID=71

Mark
Old 10-27-2006, 11:05 AM   #22
Steven

United_States

Quote:
Adam Huss wrote:
Steve,

Who's Steve?

As stated above, that is correct.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:21 PM   #23
Adam Huss

United_States

Quote:
Steven Miranda wrote:
Who's Steve?

As stated above, that is correct.
Osu!

Sorry about that Miranda Sensei. Belive it or not that was a typo! Thanks again for the clarification....I was under the wrong impresison (beware of 4-inch knowledge!).

Osu!

~Adam

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 10-27-2006, 08:37 PM   #24
Keith R Lee
United_States

I hear you have alot of knowledge about things 4 inches long Adam...

How are things in....where are you now???

Last time we saw each other was almost a year ago? I think you said you were looking to be transferred. PM if you want.

Keith Lee
Old 10-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #25
Steven

United_States

Quote:
Adam Huss wrote:
Osu!

Sorry about that Miranda Sensei. Belive it or not that was a typo! Thanks again for the clarification....I was under the wrong impresison (beware of 4-inch knowledge!).

Osu!

~Adam
No problem Adam. And please just call me Steven.

Cheers ...