Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-24-2004, 10:34 AM   #1
akiy

Receiving and Performing Techniques

What is your least favorite technique to receive as uke?

How well can you perform that technique as nage?

Do you think there is any correlation in the above for you?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-24-2004, 11:46 AM   #2
BC
Hard for me to choose, but I think right now it is kaiten nage. I love the feeling of being a human bowling ball.

As far as how WELL I can perform that technique, I'll have to get back to you in a few more years, when I might feel entitled to inserting WELL into that statement.

Robert Cronin
Old 03-24-2004, 12:25 PM   #3
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Sankyo. Mainly because I had an instructor seriously injure my wrist tearing all the ligaments. I perform it well but cautiously.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
Sharon Seymour
Dojo: AikidoKIDS! & Katsujinken Dojo, Prescott Arizona
At the moment, iriminage -- I have a stiff ankle that makes the quick, big turn hard to take. I can feel myself stiffening as the turn starts.

Challenging throws as nage, though, seem more situational. Depends on my partner, which version of which throw, whether I am at a seminar trying to get something new or in class teaching kihon waza. If I had to choose, ikkyo and iriminage remain the most challenging to work with overall.

Interesting question!

-----
There is more to balance than not falling over.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:49 PM   #5
frankfer
I take horrible ukemi for iriminage (I always seem to not keep the ukemi tight and am far away from nage and it's not nage, it's definately me!). Ironically as nage, I can be in the proper position, but tend to loose uke when time to complete the technique.

So yes, I do think there is definately a correlation!

How can I change my ukemi to stay closer to nage? Bad habits are hard to break.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:01 PM   #6
Kensai
Ohhh, well the worst of a bad bunch would probably be Kaiten-nage. I'm alot more consious of forward Ukemi, I'm going for quiet and strong but its taking more work than i thought....lol

And my worst throw is Kaiten-nage, poor jigatai and enterance...

"Minimum Effort, Maximum Effciency."
Old 03-24-2004, 01:23 PM   #7
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
A tie between ganseki otoshi and some of the kubinage.

I am much more careful with my partners in the techniques (and others) based on my experience that the ukemi can be difficult.

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 03-24-2004, 01:51 PM   #8
Brehan Crawford
Nikkyo (and Sankyo to a lesser degree for the same reason).

I have a tough time telling how much tension is in my wrist and I end up waiting too long to tap or go down. Nage has to work harder, sometimes goes too far, and it makes for a lot of pain!

I seem to be able to do Nikkyo fairly well. Sankyo I sometimes have a little more trouble with, depending on the variation. Likely because we don't practice it as much.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:56 PM   #9
Patrick O'Regan
Australia
I've got to say Jiyu Ji Garami tops my long list. I find it hard to relax into the roll/breakfall once the arm bar goes on. If uke holds on to your top arm to long then you really have to do one of those armless rolls.

I haven't done it that much, but it is in my next grading so it looks like I am going to start giving\receiving it more often!

Paddy
Old 03-24-2004, 05:15 PM   #10
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States
Shihonage-osae. Definitely. (That is, shihonage to a pin, rather than extending to throw uke into a roll). I'm probably going to build up a reputation as 'that Yoshokai guy who won't stop talking about how they change the light bulbs in their dojos', but I should explain by noting that our ukemi for shihonage-osae is to go back without bringing the hips down - kind of a 'limbo' feel, so that shoulders impact first (along with a slap with the free hand).

Best tip for that ukemi? Sensei told me to remember to keep the slapping hand way up high until it slaps. Absorbs much more force that way; makes a huge difference. I still get jostled. Also, lately I tend to lift my heels up for the ukemi, which is bad form, I believe.

As for correlation between my ability to perform that technique and my ukemi...hmm. I actually like shihonage quite a lot. I sometimes forget to really turn the wrist down to complete the torque, and placing it properly with respect to my center is tricky. (We ideally do it with a cut right down our center, so that uke is acutally turned to the side, but sometimes I turn uke's arm rather than his/her body...)
Old 03-24-2004, 06:06 PM   #11
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai
I don't like irimi nage. I feel completely out of control.

I'm sure I DO it better than I take ukemi for it, but not by much.

Jeanne
Old 03-25-2004, 01:30 AM   #12
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
juji garami/juji nage, sometimes i don't know to decide whether to flip or just roll without hands. by the time i made my decision it's already too late...
Old 03-25-2004, 04:39 AM   #13
justinm
United Kingdom
If I have got time to think, then anything that results in a breakfall/flip. Always been a fear for me, and something I have to confront every time I walk on the mat. Not sure why this is such a problem - there must be some history there somewhere but nothing specific I can recall.

The strange thing is I do them ok, and often get asked to uke for a visiting teacher.

I've been confronting this fear for 15 years and it's a persistent bugger. Anyway, I just keep training, and hope that repetition is the answer. I figure that one day it will just get bored with not winning and will quit pestering me all the time.

I have no problem as nage, though (any more than any other practice, that is) and see no correlation for me.

Justin

Justin McCarthy
Old 03-25-2004, 05:33 AM   #14
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
Most definitely shihonage. I have been acting like I like it for years (so that my negative attitude about it would change).

I hate the feeling on my wrist when I am uke and often my wrists feel weak when I am nage.

I very rarely use it in freestyle.

Mary Eastland
Old 03-25-2004, 05:56 AM   #15
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States
Because of my bad bad bad breakfall capability, getting thrown koshinage scares the %&^$#& out of me. Although when Gleason Sensei or Ikeda Sensei have thrown me, they seem better able to control my flight!! I know it is my job to control myself and work on it a lot. But....I have yet to learn the fine art of flying sans wings!!

I like to use tenshin nage. Gleason Sensei talks a lot about taking control at first contact. I find that tenshin nage is is excellent training for taking control at first contact. It teaches me to feel Uke's mood and movement, rather than try to just muscle her/him down.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:57 AM   #16
SeiserL

United_States
Koshi-nage.

Used to be bad at falling from it. Sensei threw me many times as fast as I could get up. Couldn't think. Did fine. Better now, but still don't like taking it.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 03-25-2004, 09:12 AM   #17
Chad Sloman

Dojo: Aikido of West Florida, Pensacola, FL
United_States
shihonage into a breakfall; I can do it fine, but I feel like I'm always taking a risk of breaking my elbow everytime I do it

A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:16 AM   #18
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States
Thanks Lynn...I will try that see if it helps
Old 03-25-2004, 11:27 AM   #19
kensparrow
Dojo: Methuen Aikido
If I can turn my head in the direction I am being thrown, then iriminage is my favorite technique to receive. If nage forces my head to turn to the outside it is definitely my least favorite. I don't know if there is any correlation but iriminage is also currently my worst technique as nage. I tend to let uke spin away or else my timing of the reversal is off.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:44 AM   #20
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
Ikkyo irimi from kata tori or katate tori. The senior people in my dojo take the "face-plant" fall like a gently fluttering leaf. I take it like a brick. For some reason we don't teach it, beyond basic advice not to drop onto your knees, and I haven't been able to pick it up by observation.

I don't like being nage either because the footwork seems unnatural, especially if uke is much taller. The tenkan versions seem so much more graceful. And maybe I sympathize too much with uke when s/he thuds to the mat just like me.

So yes, there probably is a correlation, though I wouldn't say that I always have trouble as nage if I have trouble as uke.

Mary Kaye
Old 04-16-2004, 02:20 AM   #21
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Kyokyu nage... especially this one.

Gyaku hanmi Katatedori. Nage either tenkans or irimitenkan, then raises his hand in circular motion, and throw uke forwards. Most of the time, uke loosens his grip on nages hand so he doesn't overbalance, and nage fails to throw the sod.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:48 AM   #22
adriangan

Dojo: Jitsuyo Bugei
Philippines
yonkyo...ouch!!!

"Masakatsu Agatsu"
Old 04-16-2004, 09:46 AM   #23
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Nikkyo Projection, so far its the only technique ive found that bothers me ukemi wise, its very nasty to flip out of before your wrist breaks.

Easy to do if you dont care about your uke's wrist but otherwise i find it very hard to perform it in a controlled fashion.

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:51 AM   #24
akiy

Hi folks,

Please don't forget that this thread isn't just about "which technique do you not like to receive as uke," but meant to try to see if there is any correlation between techniques that you do not like to receive as uke and how well you do that technique as nage.

So, to reiterate the intertwining questions:

What is your least favorite technique to receive as uke?

How well can you perform that technique as nage?

Do you think there is any correlation in the above for you?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-19-2004, 11:56 PM   #25
Largo
Dojo: Aikikai Dobunkan/ Icho Ryu Aikijujutsu
United_States
Re: Receiving and Performing Techniques

Least favorite to recieve- irimi nage. Sensei just changed how he wanted the ukemi for this technique...and it's insanely difficult (or maybe I just need serious work on my ukemi )

I've also always had problems doing irimi nage (ura) because it was hard to get a good feeling of blending. (my ashi sabaki always seemed just a bit off)

favorite to perform- nikkyo. I originally hated nikkyo because I couldn't get it to work on anyone. So I spent hours with every yudansha I could find working with it and tweaking it. It works great now, so I love using it. I still play with it though. Somehow I don't think I'll be satisfied untill I can snap wrists with a twitch.