Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-22-2002, 01:33 AM   #1
bob_stra
Australia
Fun: Aiki computer game?

A friend sent me an email with the following website

http://www.ugfighting.de.vu/

It seems the good folks here are interested in getting martial artists to help / be in their game. I'm not sure of the exact details, but perhaps one of the aiki fiends here would be interested in providing assistance? Don't see much in the way of aikido in computer games so it might be kinda cool
Old 11-22-2002, 02:53 AM   #2
Amin Basri
Hi,

I'm really hoping to play an aikido video game in the near future in case there's one.

Regards,

AB
Old 11-22-2002, 06:11 AM   #3
Ta Kung
Aiki fighters: Both fighters stand still in harmony, waiting for the other to attack. Sounds a bit boring... =)
Old 11-22-2002, 09:06 AM   #4
Josh Mason
Dojo: Ronin Bushido Aikido Club, Winchester Ky
Yeah really Patrik..... that'll never happen.

The new Mortal Kombat game features Aikido. The characters can fight with different styles of martial arts, and the Scorpion character has Aikido as one of his styles. That might turn out to be cool I guess. Being such a violent game, I would think that they would make the character have the Daito-ryu Aiki-jujitsu style.

Those who are skilled at combat do not become angered or afraid. Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win.
Old 11-22-2002, 09:43 AM   #5
Ghost Fox
Dojo: Jikishinkan Dojo
Virtual Fighter 3 has an Aikijitsu prationer, and she is the coolest fighter. I spend half the game calling out techniques she's doing and the other half trying to figure out how to do the ones I've never seen before.

VF3 Rocks.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:30 PM   #6
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Quote:
Josh Mason wrote:
That might turn out to be cool I guess. Being such a violent game, I would think that they would make the character have the Daito-ryu Aiki-jujitsu style.
Ooh! Big grins in aticipation!

Said with such out of hand, casual, confident dismissal!

Wonder if this'll get back to Baltimore...

Don (looking-for-his-asbestos-suit) Modesto

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 11-22-2002, 01:09 PM   #7
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
You beat me to it Don,

No matter how much they get corrected, some people just won't get it. Nothin we can do.

Ron (how's it goin Bud?)Tisdale
Old 11-22-2002, 03:14 PM   #8
shihonage
United_States
I wouldn't be surprised if Steven Seagal ends up as a videogame character...

His career seems to be going downhill...

Entertainment Weekly (or whatever) called his movie "The fat and the furious", and I've also seen him announcing things on USA Network (basic cable).

That's too bad, Exit Wounds looked like he was making a comeback.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:43 PM   #9
bob_stra
Australia
Quote:
Patrik Eng (Ta Kung) wrote:
Aiki fighters: Both fighters stand still in harmony, waiting for the other to attack. Sounds a bit boring... =)
I *knew* someone was going to say that ;-)

Actually (and this isn't 100%), there might be provision for a purely counter-attack / defensive fighter. I have some ideas on how this could work in the context of such a game and will post my ideas to the game creators.

Having said that, I'll be claiming aikido as one of my "styles" (not because I can actually *do* aikido to save my life, but thought it might be kinda neat). Are there any good gif's of moves floating around on the net - the game authors need some ideas of what to animate.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:47 PM   #10
bob_stra
Australia
>I wouldn't be surprised if Steven >Seagal ends up as a videogame >character...

Kensai Sacred Fist features a suprisingly segal-esque character.

>That's too bad, Exit Wounds >looked like he was making a >comeback.

Embarrassed grin - I kind liked exit wounds too.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:41 AM   #11
Josh Mason
Ummmm..... I really would like to know what mistake i've made here.....

I am sorry if I said something not quite right, I am rather new to Aikido, and I don't think that Aikido should belong in such a violent video game. I was thinking that the earlier samurai martial art (Daito ryu aikijujutsu) that was modified by Ueshiba to what we know as Aikido today would be more fitting for such a violent game.

I want to know what it is that I misunderstood. I'm not trying to be an ass, I just want to know more. Thank you.

Those who are skilled at combat do not become angered or afraid. Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:43 AM   #12
Josh Mason
By the way, I played the Game, and it is Kano who has Aikido (Scorpion has Hapkido)

The Aikido in the game is quite inaccurate. More like Judo than anything.

Old 11-25-2002, 12:34 PM   #13
Alfonso
Quote:
Nothin we can do.
maybe a mention that this is a misunderstanding. I think, what most people mean by this is that Aikido has techniques that have a harder expression usually understood as jujutsu.

maybe a lot of teachers have assumed that since Daito Ryu was a base for Aikido m therefore think that Daito Ryu is this "violent jujutsu" style of martial art.

would it be more accurate to say that Daito Ryu and Aikido have different ways of teaching this, and that if you were to see "Technique" the context of a fighting game (which includes pulling out the spine out of the back and chomping on the stil beating heart) it would neither be Aikido nor Daito Ryu?

That to actually find AikiDo or Daito Ryu in a game; the fight should end up in something like not a fight?

- PS : I don't study DR , nor does my teacher make any claims about it. I'm trying for clarity's sake to understand what you guys have offered here and in other places, lest this MEME of DR the violent tamed by Aikido continue to cause bad blood.

, just so you know you have been doing something about it
Old 11-25-2002, 09:01 PM   #14
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
Quote:
wouldn't be surprised if Steven Seagal ends up as a videogame character...
if i'm not mistaken there was a game with him as a character back in old super nintendo days, i forgot the title though. but the game is.....like his movies now, sucks!!

Jin Kazama and paul Phoenix from tekken 3 also got some aikido moves, if i'm not mistaken nikyo locks and kokyu nage.
Old 11-26-2002, 04:55 AM   #15
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China
Quote:
Jin Kazama and paul Phoenix from tekken 3 also got some aikido moves, if i'm not mistaken nikyo locks and kokyu nage.
Their moves look more like ju-jitsu, though.

The re-animated woman (Nina?) has aikido

listed as one of her arts, and does a more

ikkyo-looking move.

I think I'm going to have to recored a bunch of .mpgs of me attacking 'innocent bystanders' (i.e. dojo mates) with aikido, to hepl dispel all this "only defensive" stuff...

ObRealAikido (remember ObAikido comments?): A nice exercise to get uke to hold well is to give tori a tanto, who does a short-range tsuki to uke's hara. Uke grabs wrist to stop it, and gives a nice opening to tai no henko/ tenkan. When uke realises that as soon as (s)he release the wrist the knife is coming straight back at them, they hold a lot better.

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)
Old 11-26-2002, 01:20 PM   #16
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Hi Josh,

I guess some of us just get tired of the old "violent Daito ryu" crap. Pardon my french, but there isn't really a better way to say it. As another poster said, in my limited experience in two branches of Daito ryu, there is no ripping out of spinal columns. People should research Daito ryu if they are going to make statements about it. Especially ones like that. Oh, "my teacher said so" is not research. Check out the research done by Stanly Pranin, much of which is available on his web site, www.aikidojournal.com. (pardon the plug Jun, hope you don't mind)

Hi Alfonso,

Its good to know the word is getting out. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Just to give an idea, the six principles of training in mainline Daito ryu are:

Rei

Maai

Metsuke

Kokyu

Kuzushi

Zanshin

Now, that doesn't sound too brutal, does it? I have heard every one of these terms at one time or another in the style of aikido I practise. Their implementation may differ somewhat in Daito ryu, but these are not foriegn terms to most aikidoka.

Ron Tisdale

Last edited by Ron Tisdale : 11-26-2002 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:01 PM   #17
shadow
Dojo: Aiki Kun Ren (Iwama style)
dead or alive 2 on PSII has some aikido moves. one character has a wicked shihonage and jujigiyarame i think it is. another character has the throw that is like koshinage but you go over the shoulders instead.

happiness. harmony. compassion.
--damien--
Old 11-27-2002, 01:33 PM   #18
Don_Modesto
Quote:
Bob Strahinjevich (bob_stra) wrote:
>I wouldn't be surprised if Steven >Seagal ends up as a videogame >character...
He already ended up a movie character. Jim Belushi played him in a Tim Allen movie where the latter wants to beat someone up and so goes to a martial art school with a washed up actor who confesses something like, "Yeah, I got famous, acted like a jerk, and..."

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
Old 12-01-2002, 11:15 PM   #19
Josh Mason
Thanks Don. I'm sorry for my assumptions. I'll research more into Daito Ryu.

Old 12-02-2002, 09:43 AM   #20
Don_Modesto
Quote:
Josh Mason wrote:
Thanks Don. I'm sorry for my assumptions. I'll research more into Daito Ryu.
I hope the research will prove its worth to you as it has for me.

No need to apologize to me, btw, I try to take things more lightly than some of the true believers one finds online.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
Old 12-02-2002, 10:14 AM   #21
daedalus
Dojo: Seiryukan Dojo/Illini Aikido
Quote:
Damien Bohler (shadow) wrote:
dead or alive 2 on PSII has some aikido moves. one character has a wicked shihonage and jujigiyarame i think it is. another character has the throw that is like koshinage but you go over the shoulders instead.
I think I've spotted a sokumen iriminage and a kotegaeshi in DOA3 on XBox. There is also a way to get off the line of all the linear attacks so that they miss their target completely.

Brian
--
http://www.shinjinkai.org/