Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Voices of Experience

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-19-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall
Does aikido teach enlightenment?

I have always believed that although Aikido is not everyone's answer, it is a real answer. I would be interested in hearing what others think. In gassho
Old 09-19-2005, 06:41 PM   #2
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Re: Does aikido teach enlightenment?

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
Does aikido teach enlightenment?
I my opinion, no more than does soccer, rugby, cricket, tennis. And in that sense, the best of the best are enlightened externally - the skill that we see - in their prime. Internally is anyone's guess but the reality is that craving or relishing in fame gets the better of them.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
aikishihan
Dojo: aikido academy/alhambra,california
United_States

It is my humble opinion that "Aikido" is essentially a concept, made real, tangible, and accessible by the efforts of the Founder, Morihei Ueshiba. As such, I view the "product" of Aikido essentially as a tool with which a committed and persevering individual can find targeted truths that could very well result in epiphanies, or even of "enlightenment".I do not necessarily see that studying Aikido must, should or will lead to some form of enlightenment .Enlightenment may happen, but no guarantees.

In my view, "enlightenment" is a different thing to different people. Much of what a person finds, is determined by what that person is initially seeking for, and ultimately settling for.. It is the sudden granting of a private wish.

Finding enlightenment is a personal success story, and not necessarily connected to any established system of thought or action. To my way of thinking, it is the acceptance by the self, that a personal challenge has been met. That special kind of
joy and profound appreciation probably cannot be shared.

Aikido, as a martial art system, is designed for individuals who are willing to commit unconditionally, for the duration it takes, to literally "grind away" each day in focused training, introspection and single minded concentration on the primary goal of ever increasing understanding, skills development, and the seamless applicability to events and situations in their daily lives.

A key benefit of progression in establishing one's own version of the Founder's Aikido, is that discoveries, skills and proven theories can and should be shared, even as the person's growth process continues. It becomes a living testament to the Aiki principles being both valid and available to anyone willing to pay the price of consistent effort and unconditional perseverence.

This daily dose of joy and sharing is the basis for my love of training with sincere people of Aiki, both on and off the mat.

In Oneness,

Last edited by aikishihan : 09-09-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Rocky Izumi
Dojo: GUST Aikido Club
Kuwait

Enlightenment comes from confusion. Some people find Aikido very confusing. I find it confusing at times. Not enough times though.
Rock
Old 06-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan

I hope it is OK to revive an old thread. I haven't been a member for very long and in this Voices of Experience forum I have found many thought-provoking comments and many interesting threads which perhaps haven't been developed fully. I'm thinking particularly but not exclusively of Francis Takahashi's thoughtful introductions to certain concepts. It's a pity to have left them kind of hanging there sometimes without any reaction. So from time to time I'd like to make a comment.

First enlightenment. I'm with Mark on this. Aikido is a real answer. To classify it in the same terms as a sport is selling it a little short. I don't know any old sportsmen or sportswomen who have true wisdom or some form of enlightenment. I'm sure there must be some but I would think it was because of their personal development as humans rather than because they became good at a sport.

Perhaps an art might be closer than a sport. A great painter or musician or writer or dancer certainly seeks after truth. But there is still a discernible gap between the art and the artist. It might be difficult to argue that van Gogh or Hemingway say had reached enlightenment because they ended their own lives. Or perhaps they had!

They say that there are many ways to the top of the mountain. Aikido happens to be one. For me it is the fastest and clearest way that I personally have found to reach some kind of truth as a human being.

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 05-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
iwamaki

Dojo: Westlake Village Aikido
United_States

Aikido is the way to unite with ki (the spirit of the universe). This IS satori (spiritual enlightenment). The path is through martial arts training which is in harmony with nature and ki.