Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #26
davinderbath
Dojo: London Aikikai
United Kingdom
Re: Female shihan, or more accurately...lack thereof?

Quote:
John Riggs wrote: View Post
We have two different types of shihan: organizational shihan (such as in the Birankai) and aikikai shihan. They may be different or they may be the same. The aikikai promotes to shihan and it seems the only ones in America that are shihan designated are 7th dan and above. Currently, there are no females I know of in the aikikai at 7th dan and since 1995 or 1997 (Seagal was one of the first) only a few males-more recently. Not true in Japan where many 6th dan are shihan as well. As to Japanese shihan there is one on staff at hombu to my knowledge, I believe this is the person although I may be wrong: Mariko Takamizo (I think Mariko is a female name but I could be wrong). I know the female shihan has done seminars outside of Japan in the past.
Quote:
Alex Megann wrote: View Post
Dee Chen in the UK is a shihan with the Birankai, though it's not clear whether that is the same as being an Aikikai Shihan.

Dee Chen

Alex
All current 'Birankai Shihan' ARE Aikikai Shihans. Birankai itself is affiliated to Hombu Dojo and all Shihans hold Shihan certificates issued by Aikikai Hombu. This includes Dee Chen Shihan.

Technically of course it is possible for Shihans from any Aikikai group, at a given time, to be awaiting official sanction from Hombu Dojo. However at this point in time all Birankai Shihans are fully ratified Aikikai Shihans. We at London Aikikai are of course very proud of the achievements of our Chief instructor, Dee Chen Shihan as well as those of the USA based Shihans Coryl Crane, Lorraine DiAnne, Elizabeth Lynn, Gloria E. Nomura, and Kristina Varjan.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:25 AM   #27
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Thanks for the correction. I had not seen anything published showing shihan being awarded to anyone outside the hombu under 7th dan. Many of the organizations have shihan not all are recognized by the aikikai was my point.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:21 AM   #28
Pierre Kewcharoen

Dojo: Aikido at NJIT
United_States

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
If you are independent, who is going to "allow" or "disallow"? Rank really has to do with credibility and Mary's is very high. Mary's teacher was Hikitsuchi Sensei, now deceased. For quite a long time she was not promoted as she had no affiliation. Saotome Sensei arranged for her to get 6th Dan, which in his day was Shihan and was all the credibility you needed.

Things are a bit different now... 6th Dan isn't what it was; there are lots and lots of them. But folks should be aware that there are the "old Rokudans" and the "new Rokudans". I am Rokudan but Mary is so far my senior that the ranks don't mean anything... I trained with Mary when I was a Nidan; she was Godan then.

A teacher reputation is what gives their rank credibility. For most people, if Mary says someone is 6th Dan, that's good enough for them. Would their ranks have more credibility if some authority in Japan, someone who had never even seen these two teachers, rubber stamped the promotion? I personally do not think so.

In the old days, rank was never the issue. It was "who is your teacher"? And "how long have you trained"? We could add now, "how long have you been teaching"? Mary has been teaching for longer than I have been training. The students she promoted have been training for well over 30 years and have taught for over 20. I don't think that having some additional over-seeing issuing authority makes that any more meaningful.

Mary got her "authority" the old fashioned way... she earned it.
Almost thought no one was going to mention Mary Heiny sensei for a second.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #29
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

I am a 7th Dan in Tomiki Aikido and 1 of my instructors, not counting Tomiki Shihan or Hideo Ohba Shihan, is Sunday Penagoupoulous of Greece. She is also a Tomiki 7th Dan but has time in grade on me.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:06 AM   #30
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

??

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #31
Alex Megann
Dojo: Southampton Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Mr Megann,
I would suggest you check your facts before commenting on Dee Chen 6th dan Dan Shihan 's status.Chen Sensei received her Aikikai Shihan Certification in August 2007 in London.
The presentation was made by Chiba Sensei,8th dan Shihan, Technical Director ,Birankai International.
I also sent you a email to your dojo.Unfortunately the mail did not get through .
Yours Sincerely,
Joe Curran .6th dan President , British Birankai.
Dear Joe,

Now this thread has resurfaced, I have just noticed your comment. Please understand that I meant no disrespect to either Chen Shihan or to the Birankai - I was only referring to the fact that Birankai awards its own yudansha documentation and shihan certification, as stated on the Birankai webpage. I certainly wasn't implying that any Birankai qualifications were not recognised by the Aikikai Hombu Dojo.

Best regards,

Alex
Old 04-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #32
jimbaker
Dojo: Aikido of Norfolk/ Aikido Society of Memphis
Antarctica

Linda Lee Vecchio, Aikido of Cleveland, is an Aikikai Shihan with the USAF.

http://usafaikidonews.com/certified_...structors.html

Jim Baker
Aikido of Norfolk
Old 04-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #33
John Longford
Dojo: Cambridge Aikido, Cambridge UK
England

Sensei Pat Hendrix (San Leandro) and Sensei Bernice Tom (San Diego) are both 6th. Dans of long standing, awarded by Saito Sensei
Old 05-29-2009, 06:42 AM   #34
uzeial
Dojo: River City Aikido
United_States

Three words:

Pat Hendricks Sensei
Old 05-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #35
Carl Smith
Dojo: Northern Alberta Aikikai
Canada

Cyndy Hayashi of Aikido West and the CAA is also 6th Dan. She's taught 3 wonderful seminars here in Edmonton so far with a third scheduled for September.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:48 PM   #36
akiy

As far as I know, Pat Hendricks sensei, Bernice Tom sensei, and Cyndy Hayashi sensei are, indeed, all 6th dan -- however, none of them have been conferred the "shihan" title/certification from Aikikai hombu dojo as of yet.

Does anyone know for sure?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!