Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-15-2002, 03:14 PM   #1
aikido_fudoshin
Is Aikido a grappling art?

Do you think Aikido should be considered a grappling art? Personally when I think of grappling, brazilian jujitsu, and wrestling come to mind. Aikido doesnt really seem to fit in the same category since there should never be a struggle between uke and sh'te. Its about redirecting, and blending not about who can muscle the other one out, or struggle until an opening comes about. I feel Aikido is an art unique to itself, in that it doesnt really fall under any other category. What do you think?
Old 10-15-2002, 03:38 PM   #2
stoker
Dojo: Dallas Judo & Jiu Jitsu
You should be able to blend on the floor as well as standing. What good does it do you to land on the ground and have to give up?

dave stokes
Old 10-15-2002, 05:29 PM   #3
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
I think that some people practice aikido as grappling, however, in my opinion, it is more of a "cutting art".

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 10-15-2002, 05:30 PM   #4
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
I do agree with you Siekierko-san. It is an art that studies the principle of Aiki, how one applies it, it is up to each person. Although Aikido do use JuJutsu techniques in its technical application, one could apply it in anything, even in a non-technical martial arts way.

Basically, Aikido is non-technical martial arts. That's why it forms differently with each practitioner.

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 10-16-2002, 07:16 PM   #5
Evie Pond
I have Wresaled In hischool and at the uneverstey. I have made it to the natnals and internatinals. having had pratised Wresling for 6 years and aikido for somwars betwean 13 and 15 years it is reailley serprising about how simailler theay are.

theay dont look alike at first glance but at closear expechen theay are vearey close. wresling youses alout of gowing with the atack. and seprising alout of wresling moves and aikido tecknecks are the same you just haf to change a fouwthings. likt in wresling thear is no joint locks it is just to dangreas. but the feling of the teckneack is the same like sentering and extenchen.

the front had seareys in wresling is vearey simlear to maney hipthrouws in aikido.

I think theay have halped me inprove in the othear. so yoe i think aikido is vearey mouch a grapling art wean you can see how vearey simelear it is to wresling

Mouse
Old 10-17-2002, 08:19 AM   #6
SeiserL

United_States
I train with a man who was a wrestler. Some of his background helped him, some didn't. I usually think of "grappling" as more muscleing and taking it to the ground. IMHO, Aikido has much in common with many arts. If you have a background in another art, you will be able to see the similarities. Also see and appreciate the differences.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 10-18-2002, 04:25 AM   #7
Evie Pond
i agreay totley with that, but not all wresling is musiling. yes Greco Romin is vearey vearey musiling wich i hate. I dont have the size or strangth for that.but free styeaill can be vearey flowing and not mosculer at all. Thankgoodnes for that or i woudent be abeal to dow it. I ame not even 100 pounds and ame in the featherwate categeray. wich is vearey hared to geat pepeaill in that wate. i have wreslaed in 2 wate catergoreys up from mine wisc is banton and light wate, yes i hzave goten hert feom being in a to hie wate but that is becos you youse your wate insted of your mousels. wean wocheng a wresling match it may look as if theay are yousing nousels but in fact thear is vearey little. thear is alout of poushing and pouling traying to make a opertunety to dow a move. it is vearey techneaill mo so tham most realise if you dont stick to tecknecks you now than you can get in trobal both on tha mate and bay the coch. we pratis moves over and overagen like in aikido class and the coch cane be vearey persistent on you geting it rite just like aikido =).

Mouse