Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom
Smile Getting back on the tatami again

Hi all,

This Friday I'm getting back on the tatami again after 2 years and 7 months off, following a car accident which messed up my lower back.

Sensei and his most senior student talked with me about the practicalities, and I've been assured that I can roll out of all techniques (I cannot take high falls without risking further damage)

Of course I will be taking things slow and steady for a while, re-gaining my confidence, and getting back into training in an Aikido dojo again.

I'm afraid I will not be attending seminars as the risk of being sent flying by a tori who doesn't know my limitations is too high

Just before I had to stop, I was exploring all the subtleties of Aiki, so I'm really not bothered about going hell-for-leather again as that is not where my interests lie - been there got the T shirt etc

Please wish me all the best for Friday, and a big HELLO to everyone who remembers me from Aikido-L and Aikiweb

Ruth
Old 05-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Getting back on the tatami again

All the best, and welcome home!
B,
R

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 05-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
Peter Wong

Welcome back and good luck!!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States

And I've been hemming and hawing over a brusied rib and strained shoulder tendon! Glad that you are getting back to the art - very inspirational. Best wishes for your training.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Welcome back Ruth!!

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 05-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Janet Rosen

Ruth WELCOME BACK!!!
I began a similar journey back a little over a yr ago and have been very pleasantly surprised with the progress I've been able to make. I know many young, eager and healthy students would feel I'm not practicing "fully" but I'm kept totally engaged every time I'm on the mat exploring one or another of the puzzles and subtleties aikido has to offer, and grateful for each day I can train.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #7
akiy

Hi Ruth,

I hope that your re-entry onto the mat proves to be a satisfying and joyful one. Welcome back.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Yay for you! I had a 2 year hiatus from training (nothing major like you had) and I truly missed it. Have fun!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 AM   #9
ruthmc
United Kingdom

Thanks everyone

Great to hear from you again Pauliina, Janet and Jun - I have missed participating in the online discussions!

I'll let you know how I get on after class

Ruth
Old 05-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

I believe that when you will be stepping on this mat again, O Sensei will be smiling.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Hey, I came back after 10+ years (and no major injuries) recently. I'm sure as long as you watch what your body tells you you'll be fine!

Good luck on Friday and DON'T break a leg!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #12
TomasCruz
Dojo: Košava
Serbia

Quote:
Greg Maroda wrote: View Post
Hey, I came back after 10+ years (and no major injuries) recently. I'm sure as long as you watch what your body tells you you'll be fine!

Good luck on Friday and DON'T break a leg!
Hello everybody! This is my first post, I didn't know what to say in "Introductions Forum", so I didn't.

I, like Greg, "came back after 10+ years". In my case, it's 14 years, and I never made it to 6th kyu, but Aikido got into me... and never let go

But, unlike Greg, I did have a major injury. But, no point in whining in my first post

Anyway, good luck Ruth, and welcome back to learning this wonderful art!
Old 05-15-2009, 04:12 AM   #13
ruthmc
United Kingdom

Quote:
Toma Krstić wrote: View Post
Hello everybody! This is my first post, I didn't know what to say in "Introductions Forum", so I didn't.

I, like Greg, "came back after 10+ years". In my case, it's 14 years, and I never made it to 6th kyu, but Aikido got into me... and never let go

But, unlike Greg, I did have a major injury. But, no point in whining in my first post

Anyway, good luck Ruth, and welcome back to learning this wonderful art!
Thank you Toma!

Wow - 14 years is quite some time

Congratulations on your return also, and welcome to the forum

Ruth
Old 05-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #14
Bobby Cottle

Dojo: 心和会 in 飯田橋
Japan

14 years is nothing! I was out for... let's see, carry the 1... Okay, only about 16 years. :-p

No injuries, just returned to the States and lived in a very awkward place to find Aikido. The one dojo I found quickly got on my nerves for being right-handed only, but I really quit because it was just too far to drive after a full day of work.

But I'm back in Japan now and there are actually choices! Wow. (I chose cheap and close, but it's still great fun.)
Old 05-16-2009, 05:36 AM   #15
ruthmc
United Kingdom
Thumbs up Re: Getting back on the tatami again

Yay I survived!

On arrival I met Sensei in the car park, and he asked if I'd be ok with suwari-waza I said yes, as it's less far to fall but was wondering how my knees would cope, having done very little on them since my last class in '06...

Fortunately my legs, feet and ankles remembered what to do and moving about was ok, although seiza felt harder to maintain at first as the blood drained out of my legs instead of circulating as it should

Sensei took pity on us all and we also did some tachi-waza Ai-hanmi iriminage was my worst technique - it's partly a style change thing, I know perfectly well how to do it UKA style but my body still tries to default to previous versions! My favourite was a moving ai-hanmi nikyo - uke virtually puts the technique on himself

Halfway through class my hakama started to fall down Next time I must remember to tie the tapes much tighter, as they do slacken off once I start moving!

Today I ache (not unexpected) but it's a good ache, not an injured one Everyone was great in the class and I really enjoyed it

Looking forward to the next one!

Ruth
Old 05-16-2009, 06:27 AM   #16
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Welcome back and good luck. I have never had to take two years off, but operations on knees and a wrist required some time off. There was a BAF summer school in Nottingham (this was around 1976, before the split between the UKA and the BAF). Chiba Sensei was the guest instructor. I was BAF Secretary and so was technically the organizer, but I still had crutches from a recent knee operation.

I mention all this because I looked at the website of your club, via the BAB website. What caught my eye was were the photographs of courses taught by Peter Brady and Steve Parr. Now that took me back a bit. I used to train with Peter Brady on occasional visits to the West Midlands.

Anyway, all the best for future training.

PAG

Quote:
Ruth McWilliam wrote: View Post
Hi all,

This Friday I'm getting back on the tatami again after 2 years and 7 months off, following a car accident which messed up my lower back.

Please wish me all the best for Friday, and a big HELLO to everyone who remembers me from Aikido-L and Aikiweb

Ruth

P A Goldsbury
Old 05-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #17
ruthmc
United Kingdom

Thanks Peter!

Yes, Wokingham Aikido makes a point of inviting guest instructors, and the Peter Brady Sensei course was one of the last ones I attended before the car accident.

Some of the photos show me taking ukemi for Sensei, which was always great fun Uke has to be on the ball for him!

Glad you enjoyed the photos and the memories they brought back

All the best,

Ruth
Old 05-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #18
GMaroda
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Awesome news, Ruth! Minus the hakama issue! D'oh!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #19
Janet Rosen

Ruth, I'm just thrilled your first day back on the mats was safe and fun!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #20
Bobby Cottle

Dojo: 心和会 in 飯田橋
Japan

Quote:
Ruth McWilliam wrote: View Post
Halfway through class my hakama started to fall down Next time I must remember to tie the tapes much tighter, as they do slacken off once I start moving
I don't know how you tie yours, but in my dojo some (not all) people have a slightly different style. I had the same problem with my hakama falling down halfway through, but using this style makes it stay up no problem. Saves me a lot of embarrassment.

Basically, fold the front part down the inside, wrapping it over your belt. The front straps will have to be threaded through as well, but that's quickly done.

Generally, nobody notices any difference, save your pants don't show and you might not trip as much.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:38 AM   #21
ruthmc
United Kingdom

Thanks everyone

The aches have finally subsided today, and my tube of arnica cream has come in very useful too

Quote:
Robert Cottle wrote: View Post
I don't know how you tie yours, but in my dojo some (not all) people have a slightly different style. I had the same problem with my hakama falling down halfway through, but using this style makes it stay up no problem. Saves me a lot of embarrassment.

Basically, fold the front part down the inside, wrapping it over your belt. The front straps will have to be threaded through as well, but that's quickly done.

Generally, nobody notices any difference, save your pants don't show and you might not trip as much.
Hi Robert,

I do tuck the front of my hakama down inside my belt, and this has always helped a lot I think it was a combination of the suwari-waza and my not remembering how tight I needed to tie it on in the first place that caused the problem

This is my second second-hand hakama (I've never owned a new one!) and is probably just a little too long for me, but it's in reasonable condition so I'll stick with it for now

Ruth
Old 05-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #22
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

ruth...so good to hear of your experiences.
mary
Old 05-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #23
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

I am glad we don't wear the hakama in Tomiki very much. Gets in the way when we do ground work. :-)