Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-31-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
New Seigo Yamaguchi DVD from Aikido Journal

Posted 2009-10-31 16:44:47 by Jun Akiyama
News URL: http://www.aikidojournal.com/blog/20...great-on-sale/

Aikido Journal has announced the first DVD with Seigo Yamaguchi sensei. More information on this new DVD may be found on their website here.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #2
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: New Seigo Yamaguchi DVD from Aikido Journal

Hi,

did anybody already watch this DVD? How about the quality?

The snapshots shown in the advertisment of aikidojournal are a little blurry(rigth word?).

Anyway: I'm looking forward to find it in the letterbox.

Carsten
Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
bernardkwan
Dojo: Aikido Doyukai Hong Kong
Hong Kong

Yes the quality leaves a lot to be desired. Also the subtitles are a little distracting, by reading the subtitles I am missing what is going on. There is a lot of material there, but it is hard to see what he is doing internally.

I am on my second viewing - I think I will need another 2-3 more before I can get something really concrete out of it to apply to my Aikido
Old 12-10-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Even if the video were very very clear, it would be hard to tell exactly what Yamaguchi is doing.

Quote:
Bernard Kwan wrote: View Post
Yes the quality leaves a lot to be desired. Also the subtitles are a little distracting, by reading the subtitles I am missing what is going on. There is a lot of material there, but it is hard to see what he is doing internally.

I am on my second viewing - I think I will need another 2-3 more before I can get something really concrete out of it to apply to my Aikido
Old 12-11-2009, 02:14 AM   #5
Carsten Möllering

Germany

Ahhh I enjoy this DVD very much!!!
Even if the quality is not optimal.

Footage of Yamaguchi Sensei is so rare that I'm really thankfull to have this seminar alltogether in one movie. And also to have the translation of his explanations.

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote: View Post
Even if the video were very very clear, it would be hard to tell exactly what Yamaguchi is doing.
Well I think it can be very well understood if you are familiar with and compare it to what Endo Sensei teaches or Christian Tissier. (Or what my teacher does.)
So I found a lot of interesting explanations and also "roots" of their technique in this video.

I can imagine that it is very hard to understand, what Yamaguchi Sensei is doing if you don't share this background.
Do you practice with a teacher who was a student of Yamaguchi Sensei?

Carsten

Last edited by Carsten Möllering : 12-11-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
I can imagine that it is very hard to understand, what Yamaguchi Sensei is doing if you don't share this background.
Do you practice with a teacher who was a student of Yamaguchi Sensei?
I've taken classes with Yasuno, Endo and Kuribayashi of Hombu Dojo, all of whom were close to Yamaguchi; in Manila I attended a seminar by Miranda Saarentaus, 6th dan of Finland, a student of Endo. And of course, elements of Yamaguchi's kind of waza do emerge among the younger teachers in Hombu, such as Ito and Namba. And i have DVDs of teachers like Endo and William Gleason.

The point I really want to make that I had to take ukemi from Endo and Kuribayashi to understand (even faintly) what Yamaguchi meant: "The arms fall of their own weight." "In aikido there is no pushing or pulling." And so on. The videos do not capture that.

Last edited by raul rodrigo : 12-11-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
Carsten Möllering

Germany

Hi
Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote: View Post
I've taken classes with ...
Please excuse me!
I wasn't aware of your practice and your experiences.

Quote:
The point I really want to make that I had to take ukemi ... to understand ...
The videos do not capture that.
Yes, I think I get your point.
You have to have experienced it, to have felt it, for beeing able to "see" it in the video.

Greetings,
Carsten
Old 12-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
raul rodrigo
Philippines

No problem, Carsten. I had been watching the main Yamaguchi demo video (the one in Meiji University circa 1990, I think, where Yasuno, Mimuro and others take ukemi) for several years, but I didn't have any real clue about what was going on until I took ukemi for Endo. It was a real eye opener; it seemed that he would barely touch me and yet I had no power, my balance was broken, even if I was going all out. Since that day, Endo is the shihan whose movement I study the most. Germany is lucky to have him and Tissier as regular teachers.

best,

R