Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
elizondo
Scott Shaw, Samurai Zen book? Any good?

I was wondering if anyone has read his book samurai zen?

I found the waking up exercises to be good but his techniques with the sword were awful and not correct. So before I try his other breathing and meditation exercises, I wanted to know more info on the guy and if its any good?

Thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #2
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Scott Shaw, Samurai Zen book? Any good?

Quote:
Kourosh Ward wrote: View Post

I found the waking up exercises to be good but his techniques with the sword were awful and not correct. So before I try his other breathing and meditation exercises, I wanted to know more info on the guy and if its any good?

Thanks
Not read it. Conventional wisdom is: "Run away, run away!"

Judging from pics of Shaw and his histrionic face-menace machine, I agree.

(Not to mention all the academic stuff refuting the oft-repeated identity of Zen and martial arts...)

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 08-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Run away is an understatement... You'd need a rocket car to get away fast enough... But if you must Samurai Zen is on Amazon. And if you look more closely you'll see you can buy used copies for under 1 dollar... I suppose that shows others were similarly unimpressed. I guess selling them for under a buck is better than just throwing the book in the fireplace, but not much... Frankly if I had a dollar bill burning a hole in my pocket I'd rather save it to use as toilet paper in a pinch than to buy his book.

Just one guy's opinion... YMMV.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
TomW
Dojo: Kodokan

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Frankly if I had a dollar bill burning a hole in my pocket I'd rather save it to use as toilet paper in a pinch than to buy his book.

Just one guy's opinion... YMMV.
I dunno, you could spend the dollar, then you'd have 50 some pages of toilet paper.

Tom Wharton

Kodokan Aikido - Puttin' the Harm in Harmony,
Old 08-13-2008, 10:09 PM   #5
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
Tom Wharton wrote: View Post
I dunno, you could spend the dollar, then you'd have 50 some pages of toilet paper.
But I'd feel dirtier afterward than if I just used the dollar...

Seriously IMHO the guy is a loon.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Hey, be nice, fellas. Mr. Shaw was one of the most prolific writers for the MA magazines back in the '80s, when his domain was mainly taekwondo and that kind of thing.

Give the guy credit for reaching out into new areas of MA far beyond his scope! A man's gotta let his reach exceed his grasp in order to keep growing.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #7
Buck
United_States

Quote:
Kourosh Ward wrote: View Post

Thanks
Being critical isn't a bad thing with stuff like this. You get bad information and the result could be harmful. Or you get up looking foolish.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #8
Keith Larman
United_States

Quote:
Cady Goldfield wrote: View Post
Hey, be nice, fellas. Mr. Shaw was one of the most prolific writers for the MA magazines back in the '80s, when his domain was mainly taekwondo and that kind of thing.

Give the guy credit for reaching out into new areas of MA far beyond his scope! A man's gotta let his reach exceed his grasp in order to keep growing.

True. And on that note let me get back to writing my book "Zen and Self-Applied-Neurosurgery." Now, I wonder if titanium drill bits will work or if I'll need the cobalts... Only one way to find out!