Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #426
thisisnotreal

Re: Video definitions, "Aiki" and other terms.

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Got to love SNL - they can bring to the surface that which we all yearn to say and display it in a manner that truly shows why it really should stay suppressed - unfortunately, there are things that can tip the scale of good manners and bring out the worst - the important point is to realize that and to move on with a focus in establishing a bi-directional atmosphere of mutual respect and exchange of ideas regardless of preconceived positions and assumptions of what is being discussed - due to the unique nature of things, everyone has a right to express what they feel is what they have experienced and no one can truly question that because they could not have had the same experience since they are not you - do not look down and disrespect that experience, just share what you can for what it is worth to whomever

Greg
yes. it's true.
I'm sorry Mike. Didn't mean to give offense. Just sometimes; about the; `sophisticated troll', but? well,...maybe more like i think you are a deliberate wormhole creator!. To spark the conversation. Like Erick and the shearses. For you, though:: maybe ..more like one of Buddha's Attendant warriors guarding the path. With aiki skills. -Guarding the Path-. Like, in maybe in going so far as misdirecting. Subtly though. i.e....Your site is called QiJin, right? Like as in those 2 things. The + and the - of the Yin Yang. Like how you rated the Chen Silk Reeling vid a 5 out of 10? ...um...like, as in exactly half the story? Like, as in not mentioning the qi bit. Do you -really- want to discuss nuts-and-bolts? I wouldn't blame niether you or Dan, in fact. You guys are serious experts both of you, and doing this seriously.Why would you give it away? Especially when it's hard, and its -so easy- to mis-communicate, nevermind in text to strangers. but: What am I, as a member of the peanut gallery to take from all the -t-y-p-i-n-g- on the screen we see? I think it's neet to see how people could use their bodies. Do you want to talk nuts-and-bolts? No worries, if you don't want to get into it here, as well. But your thoughts would be interesting to hear, that's for sure.
(yes; it's just photons on a screen, almost nobody would get irradiated by your aiki) :]

For instance this<
Anything you could offer about his movement that reminded you of? In any way, is there anything aiki about it? I, honestly could not say; but would guess no. you?
I've never seen a human move so fast. At any point, Is he doing a 'power release', or is it always an external movement?

Truly, it is always interesting,
Best to you,
Josh

p.s. Would you be able to point me to an explanation of silk reeling that would have rated a 10 out of 10?

p.p.s; About the one-legged standing static aiki display? I didn't try to explain it because i didn't know how to explain it in terms that the discussion was going in. I thought you had to use the qi bit to do it. I didn't think groundpath, used as a 'battering ram' (thanks CM) alone would explain it. You basically have to activate your dantien. Float your muscluature about self-rotation. Allow dantien to wind, etc. Then you 'open' your body lines into uke. Somehow (can't type it); you 'get under', and capture uke's dantien. If erick is reading; definitely there is shear involved.

Last edited by thisisnotreal : 04-25-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: ps

Old 04-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #427
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Josh Phillipson wrote: View Post
yes. it's true.
I'm sorry Mike. Didn't mean to give offense. Just sometimes; about the; `sophisticated troll', but? well,...maybe more like i think you are a deliberate wormhole creator!.
Josh:

You have continued to comment about what you think of my personality. I haven't said a word about what I think of you. If you want to talk about your perceived idea of my failings, please come see me. If you check back into the 1990's, you'll see that I have a history of visiting the people who want to veer off-topic into insults.

Would you like to go back on topic, now? And please... don't send me any more private apologies. You're done.

Mike Sigman

Old 04-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #428
thisisnotreal

Ok. I am sorry.

i do want to hear about aiki;

<grumbles>but why oh why does it always get personal? <sorry, for real yo>
Take care. No ill will.
I'm out too.
Josh

Old 04-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #429
thisisnotreal

and, by the way, last thing. just to be specific. I like wormholes. I find them very interesting. They are a source of much interest, education, and enlightenment. Deep science, too. I agree that wormholes are interesting, and I like them too. I agree with the theory.
Good bye, and -apologies- for real.Wishing you the Best.

Josh P.

Last edited by thisisnotreal : 04-25-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:26 AM   #430
Lorel Latorilla
Japan

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
No one said you had to explain anything, Lorel, but you're on a public forum and you've posted to this discussion on "Aiki". Why not toss in a few insights, as they relate to Aikido of course, on Aiki from the perspective of the Aunkai system?

Well, maybe it'd be better to post it to the non-Aikido forum, but I still think your sharp, analytical perspectives would be worth reading.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Mike, not to get personal, but if you think my sharp, analytical perspectives are worth reading, why did you ban me from your QiJin list?

Unless stated otherwise, all wisdom, follies, harshness, malice that may spring up from my writing are attributable only to me.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:13 AM   #431
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Quote:
Josh Phillipson wrote:
For instance this<
Anything you could offer about his movement that reminded you of? In any way, is there anything aiki about it? I, honestly could not say; but would guess no. you?
I've never seen a human move so fast. At any point, Is he doing a 'power release', or is it always an external movement?
Jesus.

I had forgotten how frightening Mike Tyson was. I was a huge Tyson fan in the 80's. Not only was he incredibly quick, but so powerful.

There is no aiki there because he is working in isolation, but I doubt any internal expert could handle what Tyson was bringing, or produce results that are even approaching what he displayed.

And that's not a slight on any one. Tyson has a level of talent, genetic ability that 99.9% of us don't have access to.

That's why Teddy Atlas (the trainer in that clip) brought a gun when he confronted Tyson about his behavioral problems.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki

Old 04-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #432
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post

That's why Teddy Atlas (the trainer in that clip) brought a gun when he confronted Tyson about his behavioral problems.
Strange that weapons comfort a man who is physically inferior...

Old 04-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #433
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
Strange that weapons comfort a man who is physically inferior...
Yeah, right, I guess only a "real man" would be unarmed when he confronts a sometimes psychotic Mike Tyson...

You guys crack me up...

Old 04-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #434
akiy

Thread closed due to too much personal discussions and too little actual content.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Closed Thread