Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-16-2006, 06:11 AM   #26
Amelia Smith

Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club
Re: Using your centre during training

There's a video, and if you google Saito, suburi, and maybe kumitachi, you might come up with a website or two which lists and describes them, but the description won't do much good without having a basis in it already. Really, you should get someone to show you. Ask around at your local dojo, or maybe check out a Saito-lineage seminar, where they might be covered.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:35 AM   #27
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Justin you can find info at www.budovideos.com The seven suburi are in Volume 1 of Traditional Aikido by M. Saito. And are also shown on a dvd . Good luck
Old 04-17-2006, 03:53 PM   #28
justin
United Kingdom

cheers mark been searching all nite for these they dont come cheap there is one guy selling a double boxset on amazon for £400 gulp !

i will just have to train harder in class to remember them !!
Old 04-17-2006, 07:54 PM   #29
Amelia Smith

Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club

You could try this source: http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...39&cat=&page=1
At 57 euro and change, it's not exactly cheap, but it's no 400 sterling, either. Yikes!

That said, it's probably better for your martial training to just pay attention in class, and work harder there. In class, you can practice "stealing the technique" instead of getting lazy and hitting rewind on the video.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:04 AM   #30
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

I´ve heard lots of good stuff about Hoa Newens dvds :http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...50&cat=&page=1

And there is always the Aikiken/Aikijo-dvd by Saito sensei himself:
http://www.aikidojournal.com/catalog...php?code=dvd02
Old 04-18-2006, 02:14 AM   #31
Saw Y. C. Naw
United_States

Quote:
Stephen Adams wrote:
HI,

I've been training in Aikido for a couple months and I know that your centre is very important in Aikido, but how do you concentrate on centre when training.

I find that when I'm trying to perform a technique if I try to concentrate on my centre my either my footwork suffers or my arms flap around.

So what techniques do you use to focus on your centre while training, do you try to suck in and tense up your centre before starting a technique?

Stephen
I've been doing Aikido for barely eight months, so please anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

When sensei tells you to "use your center" or "move with your center", a common thing I feel my partners do is move their center as an isolated part of their body. This is why your footwork suffers and your arms flop around, since thinking of and moving the center by itself results in merely dragging the rest of your body along with it.

The better thing to do is to use your center as the focal point of the body -- the hub that connects and powers every other part of the body. Energy comes from the center, but when performing a technique, it is merely raw energy unless a connection from the center to the arms and hands is established.

You've been training for two months, so I guess you've done a number of Tai no Henko (basic blend) from a mirror-image hand grab. At the very start of the technique, nice and slow, as your fingertips point downward and your arm begins to descend, imagine a wave of energy flowing out from your center to your arms and out your fingertips. Maintain this feeling until the end of the technique. You might get a distinctly different, more comfortable feeling of the technique. This is how it feels to have moved with "ki".

Like several other people have mentioned, do this and every other technique very slowly at the start because it's much easier to feel your center and your ki when you're focusing on those and not the speed of your movement. Also, don't suck up the stomach and tense at all -- that makes your ki get very angry . It likes to live in relaxed parts of the body.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:42 AM   #32
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

Quote:
James Kelly wrote:
I would suggest not concentrating on your center. In the early days I would worry about the footwork and arm position and all that good stuff and eventually, your center will get behind the technique.

I agree, you can learn to use your center after everything else has run its course.