Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-21-2002, 03:37 PM   #1
JPT
Dojo: trad
Steven Seagal Films

Jun
Can we have poll to find out which is Steven Seagal best film ?.

My vote will go for "Marked for Death"
Old 02-21-2002, 03:44 PM   #2
Brian Vickery
Dojo: Aiki-Buken Aikido
United_States
Thumbs up Re: Steven Seagal Films

Quote:
Originally posted by JPT
Jun
Can we have poll to find out which is Steven Seagal best film ?.

My vote will go for "Marked for Death"
...I vote for "Executive Decision"! ;^)

...AWESOME ukemi!!!

Last edited by Brian Vickery : 02-21-2002 at 03:54 PM.

Brian Vickery

"The highest level of technique to achieve is that of having NO technique!"
Old 02-21-2002, 04:01 PM   #3
shihonage
United_States
Re: Re: Steven Seagal Films

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Vickery

...I vote for "Executive Decision"! ;^)

...AWESOME ukemi!!!

Last edited by shihonage : 02-21-2002 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2002, 04:06 PM   #4
Erik
Alright, a Steven Seagal thread.

My Giant!
Old 02-21-2002, 04:43 PM   #5
shihonage
United_States
Out for Justice - best bar scene, best reality self-defense in the very last scene of the film. Overall, I think this is the best Seagal film, partially because of the villain and partially because of, well... its actually entertaining.

Undersiege 2 - uh, best one-liner. At least it's better than "I'll take you to the bank, senator. A BLOOD BANK."
Also features a big-breasted acting school reject as Seagal's niece, who uses a nikkyo, and a comic-relief black guy who learns the said nikkyo after having it applied on him once, and later on, of course, he applies it successfully on a highly trained mercenary.

Above the Law - some dojo scenes in the beginning, baseball bat fighting, a guy gets his hand cut off by a knife which was held by another guy who was kotegaeshi'ed.
Excellent store fight sequence.
The film has absolutely no value as a standalone film, however.

Undersiege 1 - probably worst Seagal film I've seen so far.

Exit Wounds - the first film with Seagal using wirework, has a nice bar scene where a giant bouncer forces himself out of an ikkyo.

Hard To Kill - good premise, and Kelly Lebrock is pretty. Cough. There's a good store fight sequence in the beginning, and an in-house fight sequence in the middle, featuring people flung off balconies, knives, shotguns and broken limbs.
Has Seagal's worst ever one-liner (see above).
Old 02-21-2002, 05:33 PM   #6
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
"The English Patient" was mature, layered, and sophisticated. It presented reality in shades of gray. It was an overwhelming popular success.

Why is it assumed that martial arts movies have to be trash--yes I mean Seagal*--to play in Peoria?

(Chanel surfing, I heard his name mentioned on Howard Stern's show and stopped for a listen. It seems a Stern interviewer had ambushed Take-san, and asked him some inane questions which, subject to the vagaries of memory, I relate below:

HSI: Can you beat up Jackie Chan?
SS: You should ask him.

HSI: How come none of your movies have won an Oscar?
SS: (snort) Because they're sh**!

HSI: Is it true you've settled out of court on sexual harrassment cases?
SS: What is this?! Who are you?

HSI: I'm from the Howard Stern show.
SS: Oh, no wonder!

Howard Stern: Wait a minute. What did he mean by that?)

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 02-21-2002, 05:38 PM   #7
lt-rentaroo
Hello,

Personally, I'm a fan of "Fire Down Below". It wasn't a big box office smash (are any of Seagal's movies?), but it was entertaining. OK, the plot was a little goofy, but it has some good scenes. I particularly like the scene where Seagal uses a piece of handrail as a Jo. "This is no good, I'm damaging my lumber for the porch; guess I'll have to use my hands" (or something similar).

Of course, Seagal is NOT a country music singer

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 02-22-2002, 02:39 AM   #8
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
I haven't seen all of his films, but there is little doubt in my mind.
Under siege 1 is the best picture he's ever made. Tommy Lee Jones is GREAT as the semi-psycotic ex-CIA. The other bad guy is really great too (his name escapes me at the moment), and the girl playing the part of the playmate has got some outstanding qualities.

Under siege 2 is definately the best comedy Seagal has done. It's so macho and unrealistic that I can't watch it as anything but a hilarious comedy. The part where he runs through the train as it falls allmost vertically down from the bridge and narrowly escapes through the door in the end of the train - all without even looking a bit tired or even getting his clothes dirty is such a laugh. I don't know if it was intended to be a funny movie, but I think it is. The 'token-negro' and his shake-and-bake nikyo mentioned in an above post was a great scene too.

Let's face it. Seagal might be a great martial artist - I have never seen him 'for real' so I don't know, but hi's definately not the best candidate for an Oscar in my book.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 02-22-2002, 05:01 AM   #9
Stocko
Dojo: Ei Oh Kan
I gotta agree with Jay on this one...

Marked for death was on tv earlier this week and there are some excellent techniques in it. Especially the part where three bad guys attack him after smashing through the front of a department store. Broken limbs galore
Old 02-22-2002, 12:59 PM   #10
Anne
Dojo: Kiel University/VfL Fosite Helgoland
My Steven Seagal favourite: On Deadly Ground.
Why? Because I like Michael Caine....

Anne

"You have to do difficult things to grow." (Shoji Nishio Sensei)
Old 02-22-2002, 01:49 PM   #11
thomson

Dojo: Sarpy Aikido Club
Thumbs down Deadly Ground

Good Call Anne! I was trying to remember the name of that one, its also my fave Seagal movie. Caine is cool, but its hard to beat seeing R Lee Ermey rise up out of black oil with a shotgun.

Mike

To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself. - Sun Tzu
Old 02-23-2002, 05:14 AM   #12
nikonl
China
Old 02-24-2002, 12:09 PM   #13
Randy Pertiet
Dojo: Tohkon Judo Club
My personal favorite is "The Path beyond Thought" only available on Seagal's website. Demonstrates his Aikido from the 70's through today. Very inspiring.
Old 02-24-2002, 01:23 PM   #14
bcole23
Dojo: Eagle Rock Aikido, Ammon, ID
United_States
The scene at the end of episode 1 - The Phantom Menace when he's fighting the two Jedi. I had no idea he was such a bad @**!
Good makeup job too.
(boy am I kidding on this one!)
Old 02-24-2002, 03:22 PM   #15
shihonage
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Pertiet
My personal favorite is "The Path beyond Thought" only available on Seagal's website. Demonstrates his Aikido from the 70's through today. Very inspiring.
Yes it is. It's a must-own.

Now if they could only cut out most of the comments from his students and just stick to the footage...
Old 02-28-2002, 02:06 PM   #16
Mike Haber
Path Beyond Thought?

Quote:
Originally posted by shihonage

Yes it is. It's a must-own.

Now if they could only cut out most of the comments from his students and just stick to the footage...
What is the Path Beyond Thought like as far as aikido goes? Is Seagal's aikido pretty awesome and different from what you have seen?

Sincerely,

Mike Haber
Old 02-28-2002, 02:30 PM   #17
shihonage
United_States
Seagal's higher ranked students (1st kyu & up ?) apparently deal with multiple kick and punch attacks on regular basis.

He allows kicking and punching during randori as well, although apparently most people stick to grabbing and trying to drag down and immobilize the guy.

This tape has the most REAL randori footage I've ever seen. That is how I want my shodan test to be (many, many years from now).
They just run at the poor nage with all their might, no games or favors here.

Seagal's Aikido is very fast, like lightning.

For me, the tape is a blast. At the times when I am frustrated and my spirits are down, I pop in the tape.

There's several demonstrations of Seagal dealing with punches and kicks, most of the footage is indoors, but there's also outdoors seminar footage, where he does some hilarious randori demonstrations (for some reason I kept cracking up during his kokyunages).

There's also some footage of him dealing with really fast knife attacks...

Some footage from his classes ..
And the tape ends with a bunch of his stuff set to "techno music" as what they call it.
There's a couple of slowdowns thrown in to go with the music.
Old 03-08-2002, 11:10 PM   #18
sceptoor
Dojo: http://ctr.usf.edu/aikido/
I'd have to agree

"The Path Beyond Thought" is pretty cool. It seems like a sort of "advertisement" for "his" Aikido sometimes, but that doesn't bother me, but it may bother some people. That said, I should also say that this video should END all comments I've heard like, "I guess he's pretty good from what I hear.", or any question of whether or not he DESERVES his current rank.

But hey, I'm no shodan....*shrugs*

C. Martin

Old 03-08-2002, 11:21 PM   #19
sceptoor
Dojo: http://ctr.usf.edu/aikido/
My next favorite would have to be.....

Out for Justice....

C. Martin

Old 03-14-2002, 03:32 PM   #20
JPT
Dojo: trad
So Jun
How about it, Yes or No ?
Old 03-14-2002, 11:49 PM   #21
thomasgroendal

Dojo: Hoshu Portland Dojo
United_States
I would have to go for under siege 1, because it is the closest thing to a real movie, or maybe the first one, whatever that was, because of the cool dojo scene.
The Path Beyond Though had way too much butt kissing for my taste, but the techniques are quite good, and it is interesting to ponder why he was balder in 1970 than he is today! In any case, if Seagal Sensei put out a straight instructional video without the ego inflation, I would snap it up.
Interesting enough that everybody refers to him as Seagal, like he is the older kid on the block instead of say Seagal Shihan, or Seagal Sensei... Guess the movies have had an impact there.
Incidentally, i saw him on a cooking show on TV, Japanese TV. Not only is his Japanese very very good, but when lined up with a 120 lb japanese comedian, he provides a great straight man. And also has good taste in food!! Would be worth a laugh if you could see it on the net. He lays a poetic pick up line on the female hostess!

Life is choice.