Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-17-2003, 01:52 PM   #1
Seth Jackson
Kokyu dosa / Tips for extension

Our Sensei usually ends up class with a Kokyu dosa session. I would like to get some input from you guys on what is going on with you during this practice. Now as far as ki extension it is completely obvious to me when I uke for my sempai and when I uke for a student closer to my own level. With the other students I am grabbing onto an arm, feels like an arm. With our instructors on the other hand its like latching on to an iron bar hooked to a hydraulic press. In kokyu dosa practice we are working on this extension and I could really use some ideas as to what is going on physically and mentally when you practice extension. Sometimes I get uke's center and then when I try to duplicate it its a no go. I have have been told to think of holding a ball and moving it over, think of moving my bones but I am still not getting anything I can duplicate. When it does work its so random I cant find the common thread. What did I do that time which was different? Seems to depend on my uke as well. On the bright side I guess I am a good uke at this since everyone seems to be able to trow me around like a rag doll ( even my girlfriend that dosent even do aikido. DOH!)

So what do you do mentally and physical when extending. Tips like the ball thing are good but what are tricks like that actually doing?

--Seth
Old 07-17-2003, 02:01 PM   #2
shihonage
United_States
Since I'm relatively tall, I try to maintain upright posture to concentrate the gravity-generated energy into the center, from which due to lowered shoulders and non-tense forearms, it gets transferred up into the arms, and then trickles it's way around the uke's resistances.

Its very different with every uke.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:19 PM   #3
jxa127
Seth,

First, I think of taking a drink, with both hands, from a big bowl. If you pantomime that motion, you'll see that your elbows go out and your wrists come in. If you add some extention to that motion, you've got a good kokyu movement.

Then, maintain that position with your arms while you rotate your hips.

I could show you the way we do it much better than I can explain it in words, but I hope this helps.

Regards,

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames
Old 07-17-2003, 02:25 PM   #4
Seth Jackson
Thanks Alek and Drew for the fast responses. Yes every viewpoint helps alot, just hearing somone describe thier movements gives me a better idea of what others are doing.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:37 PM   #5
Janet Rosen

Hi. I think you are already on the right track, recognising that there are several "visualizations" or metaphors, and that not each person responds to the one commonly used in his or her dojo!

Besides the beachball, I've also heard "water coursing through your arms and out your fingertips", "give the person behind your partner a big hug" as well as various practical tips like focus on the triceps, open the hands out and so there is physical contact between the backs of your palms/fingers and uke's wrists, relax and extend outward so uke's elbows rise then shoulders....if uke resists strongly, relax totally on that side and let them fall *that* way instead of where you "wanted."...

one thing I love about kokyudosa is how its never the same twice if you keep playing with it....

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-18-2003, 12:46 AM   #6
Adrian Smith

Our sensei grabs a big rubber ball from a nearby rack (the dojo on the Navy base is also used for other aerobic activities during the daytime), wraps his arms around it, then proceeds to throw us all over the room when we attempt to grab his wrists, elbows or shoulders... <grin>

-drin
Old 07-18-2003, 12:17 PM   #7
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: Kokyu dosa / Tips for extension

Quote:
Seth Jackson wrote:
...input from you guys on what is going on with you during this practice.
Check Saotome's The Principles of Aikido. There's all the flow and ki and water in a hose stuff, but he's got some nice nuts and bolts stuff about how to move when people grab you from above or the side or below.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/