Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-02-2002, 12:03 PM   #1
Cessna
Marking weapons?

I'd be interested in marking my weapons. I just aquired a very nice bokken and jo when Sensei brought back several from Japan - but they're the same as everyone else's nice, new bokken and jo from Japan!

What would be an appropriate way of "marking" mine, so they don't get inadvertantly switched with someone else's?

I was considering having my name in Japanese applied with a wood burning set, using small characters. Would this be appropriate?
Old 07-02-2002, 12:09 PM   #2
akiy

I usually just use a black permanent marker and put my name or somesuch on the end of the jo/bokuto.

I think it's smart to put your name on your training equipment. I don't know how many times I've heard people who are "missing" their weapon after a large seminar.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-02-2002, 12:32 PM   #3
BC
I use a woodburner to mark my initials on all of my weapons. I found a nice little woodburner at a local arts and crafts supply shop. Plus, with the woodburner came an offer to purchase a three-letter monogram. I got one with my initials and one for the dojo where I practice. The woodburned monogram adds a nice clean touch to the weapons, instead of just making an "X" in magic marker on the weapons, like what the dojo used to do.

Just my two cents...

Robert Cronin
Old 07-18-2002, 08:27 AM   #4
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
personalizing items

With the advent of large populace at seminars, and training with any number of partners in the room, having an easy means of identification for your sticks not only makes sense, but makes it less hectic to find those little pieces of wood in a jumble of simular pieces of wood.

Many times, the burning of identification, or an addition of a particular mark is enough.

John Stevens, author and teacher, was doing caligraphy but he forgot his signature marker for caligraphy, so he offered to fingerprint the caligraphy's or Aiki-ken/Aiki-jo (weapons not being the proper identification in our modern world, because we no longer use them as weapons.) This was a once in lifetime opportunity, so two Aiki-ken, and one Aiki-jo got the treatment. Very cool!

Being an old boat guy, I have added string whippings to my sticks ... they don't detract from their look, and it helps me to feel where I am with the Aiki-jo as the whipping on that piece is in the center. I have seen other people who are having trouble with different areas of grasping these pieces of wood either add colored pieces of tape, or placement of engraving to help their practice.

I guess the fingerprint by John Steven will look like a big red dot, but as all things fade, even when coated with varnish, this too will fade with time, as all things do.

I would think that so long as your personalization of your Aiki-ken or Aiki-jo are for practical purposes or hold personal references to your training, without being ostentaish, go ahead ... do it.

Don't forget the old baseball bat rule though, never hit the ball on the label because it is the weakest point on the bat.

Yeah, engraving does have its weak points too.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:48 AM   #5
SeiserL

United_States
I put my initials on the end of mine, burnt it in. In the Filipino martial arts, we would take a blow torch and lightly burn a pattern into the sticks.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-18-2002, 02:04 PM   #6
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
I've been told the boken should be marked on the flat end of the tsuka, but not the jo. Since you are generally thrusting the end of the jo at someone, that would generally be marked along the side, not on the ends.

For what its worth...

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 07-26-2002, 03:04 PM   #7
Cessna
Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
I've been told the boken should be marked on the flat end of the tsuka, but not the jo. Since you are generally thrusting the end of the jo at someone, that would generally be marked along the side, not on the ends.

For what its worth...
Interesting!

Both my Jo and Bokken are from Iwama - the nice white oak versions. As it is, they've got a mark already burned in - on the grip of the bokken, and about 6" from the end of the jo. I was going to put my name - in Japanese, if I can find it - under these marks. Hmmm...
Old 07-29-2002, 01:00 AM   #8
DavidM
Dojo: Aikido of Tucson
I have the "Bushido Code" (Justice, Courage, Loyalty, Truth, Courtesy, Self-Control, Kindness) on the handle of my bokken.....I did it myself and it turned out very nice....Not burned in though, I think it'd make it weak....
Old 07-29-2002, 01:02 AM   #9
DavidM
Dojo: Aikido of Tucson
OHHHH Scott, here's a nice website with Names in Kanji, http://www.abuilttolast.com/kanji/symbols.html
Old 07-29-2002, 04:25 PM   #10
Cessna
Cooooool. Thanks!