Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-25-2007, 04:29 AM   #51
Ritchie Martinez
Dojo: Makiling Aikido International
Philippines
Re: a filipino aikido teacher

Hi Guys,

I myself have been trying to find out how Aikido really started here in the Philippines. A lot of info have been coming out, thanks to the net! Let's just all hope that one day all Filipino Aikidokas would gather under one common lead, so that all question would be answered.

Cheers...
Old 02-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #52
carlo pagal
Dojo: iloilo aikido dojo
Philippines

greetings filipino aikidoists!

The students of the Iloilo Aikido Dojo would like to inform you that Sensei Francisco Valencia passed away december last year. We hope that the facts we shared about our Sensei's history helped you in your search for the roots of philippine aikido. Pls. visit www.aikiloilo.bravehost.com. If you got questions pls email us. good day!
Old 09-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #53
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Carlo Paul Pagal wrote: View Post
Hello aikidokas,

I've seen hard copies of old authentic certificates, old Instructor's Idenification Cards, old clips original copy of Guam local newspapers and old photographs of persons who started Aikido in Guam. Harry Eto Sensie, who started the Guam Aikido Club under the umbrella of Hawaii Aiki Kwai, as early as 1956, and Kalama Sensie and Sasaki Sensie were the 2 top ranking Insructors of Guam Aikido Club as reflected in the Rooster of Hawaii Aiki Kwai of 1965
Hello Carlo,

I too was a student of Kalama Sensei on Guam during the mid to late 70's. Do you have any more history or information on Kalama Sensei or the Guam Aiki Kwai that you can pass along?

Thanks
Greg Steckel
Old 09-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #54
adriangan

Dojo: Jitsuyo Bugei
Philippines

Quote:
Alex Padilla wrote: View Post
Steven,
"... and the point is? You do not need to be IYAF affiliated to be considered a Yoshinkan Aikido affiliated school. It is my understanding that the Black Panther group has relations with Takeno Shihan, Yoshinkan 8th dan. Therefore, there is no need for IYAF affiliation. End of story!"

-i already answered this one in advance.
"I am not digging for any answers here just relating a story."

The purpose of my questions was for Philippine Aikido History only, as I will again reiterate I am not into politics.
I asked Romuel about the BP because he seems knowledegable about early history, there is nothing attached to those questionings.
Hey guys,

Just want to share what I know...the BP group is not recognized by the Yoshinkan Hombu dojo, this is according to Romy Ballares Shidoin.

Regards,

Adrian

"Masakatsu Agatsu"
Old 09-12-2007, 02:24 AM   #55
Vincent Munoz
Dojo: None
Philippines

Hello Guys,
In my opinion, he can promote but not under the name of Aikikai anymore where he is no longer affiliated(if i'm not wrong). Of course, defending on the by-laws of his current affiliation.

The best thing that we could do.. is honor sensei valencia to his contribution to aikido in the Philippines. All of us filipino aikidoka must be proud of him no matter what he is now. I vow to your sensei bro Carlo.

I just have one question, where can we put Sensei Max Tian of Ki Society Cebu in history? Just curious. I have practiced with him for a month i guess before I transfered to Aikido Centrum Cebu which lasted also for maybe less than 3 months(not sure). Max Tian have claimed that he have practice with Tohei Sensei as well. I don't know if for a long period or in a seminar only.

domo,

shiete
Old 03-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #56
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia

Quote:
Adrian Gan wrote: View Post
Hey guys,

Just want to share what I know...the BP group is not recognized by the Yoshinkan Hombu dojo, this is according to Romy Ballares Shidoin.

Regards,

Adrian
Who cares?
Old 04-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #57
vencer
United_States

No they are no longer listed in the IYAF dojo page but they used to be listed as of last year. At least 2 of the Azarcon brothers were accepted to the Senshusei Course but had to drop out because of what I am assuming is financial problems.

Pinoy Politics aside, To say that they are not Yoshinkan or imply that they do not teach Yoshinkan is intellectually dishonest. They were sponsored by IYAF to come to japan and they did start the instructor course. At least one student of the Azarcons' did end up going to japan and got a nidan from Yoshinan Hombu Dojo. Just speculation but there are other reasons why they are no longer affiliated with IYAF.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 PM   #58
carlo pagal
Dojo: iloilo aikido dojo
Philippines

our website is temporarily not accessible. we might make a new site for the iloilo aikido dojo club. we'll keep you guys posted. if you want to know more about Sensei Valencia you can email me at carlopagal@yahoo.com. and by the way, we have a new dojo at st. joseph school along diversion road. you can contact bonbon for more info @09067777785. thanks!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #59
Mannix Moya

Dojo: Quezon City Aikido Club
Philippines

Quote:
Jack Tentia wrote: View Post
you are right raul if you leave aikikai you cannot promote students in aikikai standard because you are bounded by akikai policy, but does it matters? what is imporant is that we practiced aikido religiously and deligently, for me these all that matters. what we learned from our sensie is only a fraction of what we should know in aikido, the rest is up to us to practiced and improved what we learned. certificates are just pieces of papers.
jack sensei,

two thumbs up!
Old 06-30-2008, 05:38 AM   #60
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Dojo: Yuugou Aikido Kaisho
Philippines
Lightbulb Re: a filipino aikido teacher

Quote:
Mannix Moya wrote: View Post
jack sensei,

two thumbs up!
My respects to you Jack.

Thumbs up from me as well.

One-Aiki

Iking
Old 10-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #61
pietroignacio
Dojo: Cebu Ki Society
United_States

Quote:
Kenneth Baņares wrote: View Post
Where does Cacoy Caņete fit in? i know he is a Sandan...
i studied under sir Cacoy's doce pares system for a while and i also studied under Max Tian Sensei from 1990 up to present. as far as i know, sir Cacoy was awarded his dan ranking in ki aikido by Max Tian sensei. Likewise, Sir Cacoy awarded Max Tian Sensei his dan ranking in Cacoy doce pares system.
Max Tian Sensei is the founder of the Cebu Ki Society and is the only Instructor, Lecturer and Examiner recognized bu Ki no Kenkyukai in the Philippines. At this time, Max Tian Sensei is in his 80s and teaches Ki Aikido at the Baseline Gym in Juana Osmena St. in Cebu City.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #62
pietroignacio
Dojo: Cebu Ki Society
United_States

Quote:
Vincent Munoz wrote: View Post
Hello Guys,
In my opinion, he can promote but not under the name of Aikikai anymore where he is no longer affiliated(if i'm not wrong). Of course, defending on the by-laws of his current affiliation.

The best thing that we could do.. is honor sensei valencia to his contribution to aikido in the Philippines. All of us filipino aikidoka must be proud of him no matter what he is now. I vow to your sensei bro Carlo.

I just have one question, where can we put Sensei Max Tian of Ki Society Cebu in history? Just curious. I have practiced with him for a month i guess before I transfered to Aikido Centrum Cebu which lasted also for maybe less than 3 months(not sure). Max Tian have claimed that he have practice with Tohei Sensei as well. I don't know if for a long period or in a seminar only.

domo,

shiete
i am a student of max tian sensei since 1990. here is what i know of his history with aikido. sensei max started aikido when tohei sensei was still master general of aikikai. i have personally seen his shodan and nidan certificates with o'sensei's signature mark on it. i am told that he also got higher dan gradings while o'sensei was still alive but that these certificates were lost in a fire that claimed max tian sensei's home in cebu.
after tohei sensei established the ki society and when tohei sensei decided to separate from aikikai, max tian sensei went with him and established the cebu ki society. as for his training, max tian sensei was a one on one student or uchideshi of koichi tohei sensei. his personal training under koichi tohei sensei was full time from sun up to sundown. as of this writing, the cebu ki society and max tian sensei are the only recognized affiliates of ki no kenkyukai in the philippines. max tian sensei teaches ki aikido at the baseline gym in cebu city.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #63
Teena Inayan
Dojo: Iloilo aikido
Philippines

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...ype=1 &ref=nf