Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-06-2002, 06:57 PM   #26
[Censored]

I think what Chris, and many of the people are saying in this thread is pretty much: "Whatever floats your boat."

If you want comfort, float your boat.
If you want transformation, sink your boat. But make sure you can swim first.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:04 PM   #27
shihonage
United_States
Quote:
Originally posted by ca

I am sooooo disappointed there is no picture with this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	32  

Last edited by shihonage : 02-06-2002 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:18 PM   #28
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: ccdbc9d0
Anonymous User
Straight Face

I think Aikido IS different. When I studied Judo the objective was sport, and winning matches. Those who studied Judo seriously spoke about another ultimate objective of self mastery; but it wasn't the focus of what I was being taught. When I fenced I was taught to be an effective foil wielder and to score points; those who took it seriously saw lessons in it that applied to their lives and pointed towards another ultimate objective; but it was not required and really wasn't what my lessons were about; they were about winning bouts.

In Aikido I'm taught that my technique is a vehicle, that I must be relaxed and in harmony with my attacker if I am to succeed in my throws. That ultimately my protection is from being in harmony with my attacker; not tense, not afraid not 'strong' as I understood strength from my youth. I'm taught that that attitude works at all levels; that it's not easy to develop it that it's worth pursuing it.

This has nothing to do with other martial arts that I know of. So the content is different; and I don't get the same feel at the local "Green-Cobra/Flying-Bear" super kickboxer karate Mc Belt and Trophy shop.

I don't know about the politics of Aikido.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:45 PM   #29
"Unregistered2"
IP Hash: ccdbc9d0
Anonymous User
people don't think so or do they

quoting from Mr. Pranin : Aikido Journal editorial 1995

"...The answer lies in the nature of aikido as a martial art. Aikido bills itself, so to speak, as a martial art with a spiritual core. That is, beyond self-defense skills, aikido promises its followers a path through which they may "polish" their spirits in order to become better people. Doshu Kisshomaru Ueshiba even goes so far as to state that the main relevance of aikido in modern society is as a vehicle for developing better members of society more so than as a martial art, If one accepts this view--as I have come to over the years--then the character, integrity, and conduct of individuals, rather than their level of technical mastery, become the true measure of their stature in the art. ..."

[emphasis mine]

I think Aikido is about being better person, not better figher.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:36 AM   #30
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Superior Aikido?

There is no one martial art that will protect you.

Aikido will teach you how to more effectively use your movements.

Many Aikidoka have experience in other MA. Why? Because Aikido was not the base of MA but a later synthesis of arts, given to the general public as a safe training method. If you can blend it into other arts, so much the better for you. But, you statement of it being expert above other arts, or use of guns, bombs, or other variations of death to protect you against death? It was never meant to be that.

Nearly anyone can learn to shoot an arrow from a bow, but can you do it without thinking, instinctively hitting the target? In human terms, that is the simple explaination of learning Aikido, to go from using mechanical force, to understanding the instinctive forces you naturally posess to accomplish what you visually see.

Sometimes, we never get there, but when you can snap shoot an arrow by the feel in your belly, Tan tien, then you never forget it ... even if you only accomplish it a small percentage of the time? Practice, practice, practice ... never being satisfied, no matter how good it looks to someone else?

When you hit the bulls eye, without sights with a reflex bow ar fifty yards, then that is the beginning of learning? At least, I think it is? As far as miracles of Aikido training ... what did you see? That is what it was.
Old 04-09-2002, 03:21 PM   #31
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 9990101b
Anonymous User
Aikido definately has the best discussion forums I have ever seen...