Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-20-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
Boontom
United_States
Talking Corpus Christi?

Any chance any Seminars gunna be held in Corpus Christi? My Sensei and I could attend it or a seminar in San Antonio, either city would be okay. From what I understand, its just like a big Aikido class with famous sensei's teaching and multiple dojos gathering to learn right?

Last edited by Boontom : 06-20-2006 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
Jerry Miller

United_States
Re: Corpus Christi?

What about Houston

Jerry Miller
Old 06-20-2006, 10:49 PM   #3
Boontom
United_States

Couldnt make a trip to houston on a regular basis, would only be able to make 1 seminar at least.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:03 PM   #4
Jorge Garcia
Dojo: Shudokan School of Aikido

David,
Hiroshi Kato Shihan, 8th dan has been going down to give a Seminar in Corpus Christi the last two years twice a year. This year, he won't be going because he will be in Midland Texas instead followed by Houston. The guys from Aikido by the Bay under Sensei Joel Molina will be coming to Houston for the weekend this time. Maybe you could hitch a ride with them and split the cost of a hotel room.
Where are you training? If your teacher is Hector Chavez, he was my Sempai many years ago. He would certainly be an honored guest at our Seminar if he came here. Tell him that a guy from Kansas City named Terry was looking for him. He'll know who it is.
By the way, don't hold your breath waiting for another Shihan to go to Corpus. That's not likely to happen in the near future.
Best wishes,

"It is the philosophy that gives meaning to the method of training."
Old 06-20-2006, 11:08 PM   #5
Boontom
United_States

Thank you, I will tell him, could you give me a way to contact those guys from Aikido by the bay?
Old 06-21-2006, 03:20 AM   #6
Jorge Garcia

Quote:
David Jackson wrote:
Thank you, I will tell him, could you give me a way to contact those guys from Aikido by the bay?
Aikido by the Bay

Address: Sunrise Mall, Suite 97; Corpus Christi, TX 78411
Instructor: Joel Molina, 2nd dan, Aikikai
Phone: (361) 882-5088
Schedule: Tu 7:30-8:50pm; Th 6:30-7:30pm, 7:35-8:50pm
E-mail: JMO@prodigy.net
Place: Asian Academy of Martial Arts
Suite 97, Sunrise Mall
Corpus Christi, Yexas

Old 06-21-2006, 07:21 AM   #7
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

David,

Don't miss this chance to train with Kato Sensei. I've only seen video and heard others write about him, but from that, he is not to be missed if he's in the same state.

Best,
Ron (yah, I know, Texas is big...)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-21-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
Boontom
United_States

I will try to go, I really wanna go to seminars. Learn all I can in Aikido. If I could, I would never stop training. When I am training at my dojo, I do my best to listen, pay attention, learn, perform what I am learning as best I can. I dont try to be the best, because I know there will always be someone better and its immature to try and be the best, so I try to be good at Aikido and learn fast.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:12 PM   #9
Michael Young

Dojo: Alamo City Aikido

Hi David,

We had Hiroshi Ikeda Shihan back in February (we should have him back in another year or so) and we have at least 3 seminars a year with high ranking instructors in San Antonio. We are going to have George Ledyard Sensei (a frequent contributer to both these forums and the columns) for his 3rd annual visit to our dojo in October 13-15th. William Gleason Sensei and Kevin Choate Sensei are both scheduled for next year already. For dates and details, see our "Events" page on our website at:
www.alamocityaikido.com
You are most welcome at any of our seminars.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:17 AM   #10
Boontom
United_States

Oh, Im going to attend every Seminar I can, my boss will let me take off days as long as I inform her in advance. I have a few questions
Is there a fee to attend these seminars? Also, does Seagal Sensei ever hold any seminars? At a Seminar is it like a big Aikido class, do we learn like new techniques, etc? Are there Gi's, bokkens, katana, jo, etc. for sale at the Seminars?
Old 06-22-2006, 05:20 AM   #11
Jorge Garcia

There are fees which can run from a low of $60 to a high of $100 or more for the weekend. You also have travel fees, hotel, gas, entertainment and food so all that has to be considered. Sometimes there are T shirts for sale and occasionally, maybe weapons and supplies at a larger Seminar like the Aiki Expo. It sounds to me like the Aiki Expo might suit you best because of all the teachers present, the booths and the high level of activities. The smaller seminars are more about training and seeing old friends.They all cost money so save your shekels!

I don't think that Seagal Sensei is much into public seminars anymore. All his previous ones were organized by Larry Reynosa who has separated from him so I think he is only supporting a few students in the U.S. but I doubt he will do any seminars around here anymore. Your teacher will know. He has been to plenty of Seagal seminars and has met and talked to him many times. I would guess the style of Aikido you are learning is in fact "Seagal style".

Best,

Old 06-22-2006, 08:15 AM   #12
Boontom
United_States

I was watching a Steven Seagal movie last night, to see his Aikido, and it is more brutal than the style Hector teaches, but he does teach somethings from seagal, like in Jo, when striking at the head then stepping forward and striking on the other side, you move the Jo to the other side to strike while making a block with it as you move it so no one behind you hits you. Thats not the only thing from Seagal.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:14 PM   #13
Boontom
United_States

Well, I talked to Hector, we will be going to the Seminar in Midland
Old 06-22-2006, 11:01 PM   #14
Jerry Miller

United_States

Well it is farther. There are a good bunch of aikido geeks up there (in Midland) I do not know what there is to do outside if the dojo. Some else could elaborate on that.

Jerry Miller
Old 06-23-2006, 07:48 AM   #15
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Aikido geeks! I resemble that remark.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:08 AM   #16
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

David. Were you referring to the Kato Sensei seminar in October? Drop in and train with us in San Angelo when I do mini-seminars there (you get me though and not Kato Sensei for those once a quarter-4 hours).

Gerald-if you are referring to what there is to do in Midland outside of aikido, well, let's see. Umm. Uh. Geez this is hard. Watch oil derricks pump. Watch mesquite grow. Look at the sky (not many clouds). Some night life (very conservative here-GWB territory). Watch TV. I lived in California for 25 years and this area is somewhat "different".

I probably should have said "we" resemble that remark-at least a few of my students do (we train 6 days a week here). We have our "core geeks".