Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-18-2001, 01:30 AM   #1
AskanisoN
Dojo: USA Martial Arts
Talking Quality Iaito that won't break the bank?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can find a good quality Iaito that won't break the bank? There seem to be a lot of cheap "off the shelf" options out there, but none that look to be of good quality. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. ??? I realy like the one from Bu Jin Design, but its 1,300 dollars. Ooouch!

This would be my first Iaito, and I'd like to get somthing that will last for a while. How much should I look at spending? Are there other considerations that should be taken into account?

Thanks for your help!

Scott
Old 08-18-2001, 03:07 AM   #2
ze'ev erlich

Dojo: Masatake Dojo - Israel Aikikai
Israel
Re: Quality Iaito that won't break the bank?

Hello,
Five of my students bought their Iaito at Tozando.com

they are very good.
tozand

Ze'ev from Masatake Dojo Rehovot
www.aikikai.org.il
Israeli Aikikai

Old 08-30-2001, 12:52 AM   #3
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Originally posted by AskanisoN
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can find a good quality Iaito that won't break the bank? There seem to be a lot of cheap "off the shelf" options out there, but none that look to be of good quality. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. ??? I realy like the one from Bu Jin Design, but its 1,300 dollars. Ooouch!

This would be my first Iaito, and I'd like to get somthing that will last for a while. How much should I look at spending? Are there other considerations that should be taken into account?

Thanks for your help!

Scott
An adequate iaito can be had for about three hundred. That's about the starting point for anything decent. Nicer ones are around $700 - $900 and the can go over a thousand as in the one from Bu Jin. My assistant Chief Instructor has the Bu Jin one and I'm jealous. Kiyota Company in Baltimore, MD has a selection of iaito. You should call and talk directly to Mr. Kiyota so that you can get the proper information. He carries the Tozando line I believe. You can check that out at:
http://www.tozando.com/index.html

Last edited by George S. Ledyard : 08-30-2001 at 01:03 AM.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 08-30-2001, 07:12 AM   #4
Estproph
Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for your help!

For a good starter model, you might want to look at Paul Chen's "Practical katana". It's not a folded blade, so it is heavy, but it is well-tempered enough to hold an edge. Pretty durable too. I got mine off

Scott
Ebay but there's also internet shops like The Armory that carry them for under $200.

Poorly socialized, overeducated geek
Old 08-30-2001, 09:02 AM   #5
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Quote:
Just wondering if anyone knows where I can find a good quality Iaito that won't break the bank?
Scott,

I've owned and used iaito from Tozando and Meirin and both are fine pieces of equipment.

Tozando, however, has changed hands in the past few years and I don't know what sort of prices or qiuality or customers service they offer these days.

I got the Meirin iaito from Peter Boylan's Mugendo Budogu -- http://www.budogu.com/

I've handled and swung several models of iaito from Meirin and have found them all to be decent. And Peter is a fine fellow who goes splat real well and can swing a mean (if terribly ZenKen) sword.

cg

Old 09-02-2001, 05:52 PM   #6
AskanisoN
Dojo: USA Martial Arts
Thanks everyone for all the help!!