Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
Dwarkyzidez
United_States
How would aikido fare in an actual fight?

I know, I know. Aikido isn't suppose to be competitive. I think so too, but I am 110% sure I'll end up having to spar with my friend to see who's the better fighter. We've already done sword fighting, so yeah. Well, now I am questioning if Aikido would be good for a friendly fight. I've seen videos, but mostly they were fake/acted or the aikido person...sucked. I mean, the ones I saw didn't compare to what I know is 'good' aikido. Bad form and stuff.

So I am curious is Aikido would be good against a person in MMA. I cant describe his actual style. He's self-taught, he says. He's quick, and kicks alot. He's tried to use some tripping techniques on me...but they're weak. In swordfighting, he can either take you out fast and early, or get beat later. So he gets tired quick. Thats really as much as I can describe. I'll ask him what style he takes.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:27 PM   #2
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States
Re: How would aikido fare in an actual fight?

You've lost already.

It's not about Aikido, either.

Stop fighting, that's not the point.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Dear Evan,

I think you need to stop, take a breath, and formulate your thoughts; then construct a question.

If you want to find out if you can beat your friend in a fight, then all you have to do is fight him. You will find out very soon. If you want to know if Aikido people can beat up other people. It depends on who's doing the beating.

Fighting, is fighting. Styles are styles. They are apples and oranges, and cannot be compared in the manner you are attempting.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:13 PM   #4
Dwarkyzidez
United_States

Yeah you're right. I actually was thinking over asking this because of that point.

But I was really just curious. Guess I'll learn in a year or two. But I might as well put this topic to use. Anyone have any real aikido videos? Not demos.

*change of subject. works*
Old 02-19-2007, 11:14 PM   #5
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

As a MMA/BJJ guy.

If this is your concern, go study MMA/BJJ. Aikido is good and based on sound principle as pracitced by most, however there are better ways to train if you are concerned with actual fighting and becomeing effective in this realm.

Also before starting a new thread like this, you may want to check out the search feature on Aikiweb.

There are many, many threads out there already that address this issue. Check "off the mat" category for many threads.

Also look directly below this thread at similar threads.

Good luck and welcome to aikido and aikiweb.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #6
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

what would you define as a real aikido video?

Old 02-19-2007, 11:31 PM   #7
Dwarkyzidez
United_States

eh its not really a big deal for me. I'm really in it because I am into philosophy (reading I-Ching now if you care) and martial arts, so its a good mix. Plus when I see people who train in aikido, they look calm and stuff. I'm going through some mental issues so it might help alot.

And by real videos I mean videos of aikido techniques being used/fights that arent demonstrated or acted.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:35 AM   #8
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

You seem to be wandering in the wilderness. Find a dojo, a teacher, and commit yourself to ten years of practice. That is the best place to begin.

In gassho,

Mark
Old 02-20-2007, 03:56 AM   #9
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

I think the answer I wrote in this link applies to you too:
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=17
In short - Aikido will fare great, simply because it will be you and not Aikido in this sparring!

The knowledge of Aikido is rather problematic for application in sparing situations. One should be very good and practice a lot in order to utilize this knowledge correctly against a person who knows something about Aikido.
Further, one should practice in a Dojo where similar attacks are common (as I mentioned in that post, many places stick to ritual base attacks since those suffice for the principle). Having practiced often against similar attacks will help you in the first step of utilizing the Aikido principles to such a situation: Identifying the attack and line of attack in time and knowing how to use your techniques on those attacks.

Still, from my own experience in friendly sparring (with another M.A. student), most people rarely commit to an attack in such situations, which makes using Aikido very difficult. If you are any good, you will likely find yourself using much more irimi then is usually the case (at least this is what happened to me in friendly sparring, my Aikido became very offensive as my sparring mate kept retreating all the time).

Amir
Old 02-20-2007, 05:58 AM   #10
DaveS
United Kingdom

Quote:
Evan McDonald wrote: View Post
And by real videos I mean videos of aikido techniques being used/fights that arent demonstrated or acted.
If you search for (say) shodokan tournament on youtube you'll find some shiai randori clips. Most styles don't do this sort of training and it's not a 'real fight', but it is aikido techniques being used on an opponent who's doing everything they can to stay standing.

But yeah, I'd echo pretty much everyone else in saying that there's a lot more to gained by practising aikido than just the ability to make people fall over.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #11
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

the problem you run into with video of real fights are that in real fights people do just that...fight. The techniques you see can be seen in aikido, but they are not exclusive to aikido as it is designed to teach principles.

People clinch alot of times in real fights, not something you practice often in aikido, but I would say it is no different than a very close irimi and ikkyo if you get a underhook and spin to his back.

You don't catch punches in mid air, you don't get the shionage out right typically, and you don't get kotegaeshi, but there are some videos our there that show various forms of kotegaeshi. Not sure where anymore, but they are there.

Fights are not pretty, and I have never seen one that artistically and stereotypically looks like, smells like, and moves like aikido in a dojo. however, the same underlying principles apply.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #12
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada

Don't see how you can spar in Aikido Evan, sorry. Aikido is just a set of principals and concepts...no one is going to baby-guide you on where to apply them.

Just my opinion based on pre-Aikido experiences. Fighting a BJJ/MMA guy is a whole new level, which is something I've never thankfully had to do!
Old 02-20-2007, 12:19 PM   #13
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

I would not say it is a new level, just a different perspective of the same principles.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #14
Aristeia
New Zealand

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post

Also before starting a new thread like this, you may want to check out the search feature on Aikiweb.

There are many, many threads out there already that address this issue. Check "off the mat" category for many threads.

Also look directly below this thread at similar threads.
tee hee- nice attempt there Kevin

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 02-20-2007, 06:31 PM   #15
Avery Jenkins

Dojo: Litchfield Hills Aikikai

Here's an "aikido in real life" vignette for you.

http://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index.php?topic=520.0
Old 02-20-2007, 08:27 PM   #16
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Avery Jenkins wrote: View Post
Here's an "aikido in real life" vignette for you.

http://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/index.php?topic=520.0
The most amazing example of skill in that story was that he was able to count the teeth while fighting. Now that is skill.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 02-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #17
Roman Kremianski
Canada

Now that's awesome. Except the part where he gets charged. But worth it!
Old 02-20-2007, 10:49 PM   #18
Dwarkyzidez
United_States

oh man Im just gonna quit while I'm ahead. I'm just talking about sparring against another person that does Martial Arts. Like those competitions. I know Aikido isn't competitive, but if it is...yeah. Also ends up I'm not going to fight my friend using Aikido since he's an idiot. Ended up fighting over an airsoft gun, he tried to trip me but I stood and he thought I was already taking aikido...

So if you all still think I'm one of those 'lol I learn aikido 2 kick ppls asses', I'm not. As said, Im in it for the philosophy really and hopefully help my mental situation.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #19
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Quote:
So I am curious is Aikido would be good against a person in MMA. I cant describe his actual style. He's self-taught, he says. He's quick, and kicks alot. He's tried to use some tripping techniques on me...but they're weak. In swordfighting, he can either take you out fast and early, or get beat later. So he gets tired quick. Thats really as much as I can describe. I'll ask him what style he takes.
To be honest, sparring outside the box can be fun and one can learn quite a lot about oneself from it, but it must be taken in its context and should not be seen as vindication of any super martial skill but as an expression of how well one understands and is able to apply the principles of Aikido in that format.

As said by others it matters not how Aikido works against other MA. The fact that you do Aikido has nothing to do with how you approach training in Aikido. If you train Aikido with the goal of effectively dealing with an MMA stylist like your pal then it will work for you, but only if you do what is required through your own mindset towards training and desire to truly understand the scope of abilities that can be trained in Aikido. Imho Aikido is best designed to work where one gets to step in and cut down the enemy with a clear and empty mind, as expresssed in traditional swordsmanship. The problem is that this sort of expression is very difficult to show in a sparring match or some other friendly format. It's not about fighting at all. Also, the vast majority of dojos do not train towards this end, so you will have a challenge if you plan on developing this sort of level. However I can't say that it is impossible if one approaches Aikido training with the correct mindset and has like minded people to assist along the way.

I hope you find a place with people that can help you in achieving your training goals. For now I'd say train hard, study harder and always ask questions but keep in mind how everything you learn may be applied to the situation you identified at the beginning of this thread and practice it with willing partners.

Gambatte.
LC

Last edited by L. Camejo : 02-21-2007 at 11:11 AM.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 02-21-2007, 12:47 PM   #20
Guilty Spark

United_States

Quote:
Ended up fighting over an airsoft gun, he tried to trip me but I stood and he thought I was already taking aikido...

So if you all still think I'm one of those 'lol I learn aikido 2 kick ppls asses', I'm not. As said, Im in it for the philosophy really and hopefully help my mental situation.
Am I the only one who finds something really weird about this?

He triped you so you stood up and he thought you were taking aikido and umm, what?

Help your mental situation??

Dude what are you talking about?

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 02-21-2007, 12:48 PM   #21
Kevin Leavitt

United_States

Damn Fooks you are perceptive and don't miss a thing!

Old 02-21-2007, 01:58 PM   #22
Roman Kremianski
Canada

I'm so lost now.

Quote:
I know Aikido isn't competitive, but if it is...yeah.
Sorta like telling someone "I know you're really not stupid...but you are"?

Quote:
Also ends up I'm not going to fight my friend using Aikido since he's an idiot.
The principals of Aikido only work on intelligent people?

Quote:
I am 110% sure I'll end up having to spar with my friend to see who's the better fighter.
I'd recommend some kid's classes...and possibly some new friends!
Old 02-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #23
Dwarkyzidez
United_States

By the tripping thing, I mean he was trying to trip me using some of his moves or something. But he failed and I stood, so he thought that Aikido taught me not to fall like that. Hard to explain.

And we mean friendly sparring, but contact. I don't wanna kick his ass up and down the floor, or the other way around.

And Im thinking of not using Aikido since, as it seems, its not for fighting (or what you guys are saying). So I'll give the art respect in not using it in something I have seen that it is against.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #24
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

Quote:
And Im thinking of not using Aikido since, as it seems, its not for fighting (or what you guys are saying). So I'll give the art respect in not using it in something I have seen that it is against.
Evan, I'm thinking you're still misunderstanding things. Check out this link:

http://www.newschoolaikido.com/faq.php

under the part about handling karate or jiu jitsu attacks. It illustrates the point pretty well, I think.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:52 AM   #25
Cyrijl

that school made me cry.

melior est canis vivus leone mortuo
Bog svsami!!!