Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States
Nage vs Tori?

Hello! I am writing an ethnography for my cultural anthropology class on Aikidoka. Primarily it is going to be on the culture of my own organization, but I also wanted to include some general Aikido information as well. We only use the word nage, but I have heard people here refer to the person performing the technique as tori. Could someone please give me a literal definition of both of those words, and possibly explain why one would be preferred over the other in your own style/dojo? Or even better, if someone uses both, but in specific circumstances.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Old 09-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
robin_jet_alt
Australia
Re: Nage vs Tori?

Nage = thrower
Tori = performer

I use them interchangeably, and I don't think there is any particular meaning to it. Sorry to disappoint.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
niall
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Japan

Robin is right nage comes from throw so it would not really be technically accurate to use it for immobilization techniques.

Shité is used in some dojos. It means something like the main protagonist or leading rôle.

Tori is the active partner or the one who seizes control. Only tori and uke are used in judo kata terminology.

we can make our minds so like still water, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life
w b yeats

aikiweb blog|wordpress blog
Old 09-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States

Quote:
Robin Boyd wrote: View Post
Nage = thrower
Tori = performer

I use them interchangeably, and I don't think there is any particular meaning to it. Sorry to disappoint.
No disappointment at all! Thanks so much!
Old 09-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Tom Verhoeven
Dojo: Aikido Auvergne Kumano dojo
France

The way this was explained to me long time ago by several of my sensei was that nage and uke described a situation of something that has happened. So if we look at a contest we do not know in advance who is nage or uke. Only after the contest can we say mr. A was nage and mr. B was uke.
In a kata we already know who will take which part. So it is determined in advance who is nage and who is uke. Even though we do not have real formal kata in Aikido, the techniques do tend to have a fixed form and we do know in advance who is taking the role of nage or uke.
But if we leave that approach behind and practice more free, then we can no longer say in advance who will be nage of uke. It depends on the outcome - there may not even be a throw or immobilisation in the end.
In that way of training the words Shite and Aite seem to be more appropriate. The words come from the Japanese theater (Zeami - the Japanese "Shakespeare" emphasized them) and express equality of both opponents (in and yo). It is said that O Sensei preferred Shite and Aite instead of Nage and Uke.
Tom
Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

From my research on the Japanese language: nage/uke (throw/receive) shite/tori (do/grab). All the words are truncated or changed according to the language rules.

nage/nageru
uke/ukeru
shite/suru
tori/toriru