Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-16-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
Janet Rosen

Exercise before breakfast

Today's NYTimes site reports interesting research. Folks were fed a high fat, high cal diet and then put into a control group (no exercise) or a group exercising after a big breakfast or a group exercising before a big breakfast.

The workout was intense.

The folks doing the workout after a big breakfast did gain weight, half as much as the sedentary group, but also showed signs of insulin resistance - not a good thing. per article:
"Only the group that exercised before breakfast gained almost no weight and showed no signs of insulin resistance. They also burned the fat they were taking in more efficiently. "Our current data," the study's authors wrote, "indicate that exercise training in the fasted state is more effective than exercise in the carbohydrate-fed state to stimulate glucose tolerance despite a hypercaloric high-fat diet.""

I don't like training in the early morning and have trouble esp. when its dark...but I do try to get on the exercise bike before breakfast. Nice to know I'm doing something right! Link here
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/1...ore-breakfast/

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Exercise before breakfast

Janet:

I use to get up and put in 1-2 hour work out before breakfast when I competed in highly competitive sports. Getting up between 4-6am. was simply what was done. The beauty of no longer training like that is that I have adapted my routine to a highly refined exercise program.

1) Get out of bed and put on the bath robe.
2) Turn on my expresso machine, walk outside to the end of the driveway and get the NY Times and walk back inside.
3) Make a perfect mug of cappuccino (8 shots of expresso with a little wet foam).
4) Read the paper cover to cover while drinking my morning cup.

This anaerobic and aerobic regiment works well for me!

Marc Abrams
Old 12-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
dps

This reminds me of a study done on Wisconsin dairymen ( in the seventies) who would get up at 4 am and work (physical labor) until 8 am. They would then consume a large breakfast with high carbs, fats and of course dairy products and then back to work.

The results of the study showed that the diet was not detrimental to their health at all.

Hard physical labor is what is missing in many people's lives today and the lack of it is the reason for many health problems.

dps
Old 12-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Thanks for that, Janet. I've always found all sorts of excuses not to exercise in the morning. But now... Seems like it is the one time I could do it regularly and now it appears that it would be a very good thing given the medical issues I'm looking at given I'm on the downward part of the trajectory...

Old 12-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
2) Turn on my expresso machine, walk outside to the end of the driveway and get the NY Times and walk back inside.
3) Make a perfect mug of cappuccino (8 shots of expresso with a little wet foam).
LOL!!! I do the walk to the end of the driveway for the NYT, which mercifully IS delivered in this small town - then - (sigh) read the first section while pedaling on the stationary bike.
Someday I hope to achieve your level of...of...um.... happiness !

Janet Rosen
Old 12-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
JW

Thanks for the heads up.. another interesting thing to follow up on. But depending on what they looked at in that study I may be confused now. I expect to gain weight (muscle weight) if I eat a lot and exercise. So if the before-breakfast group did not gain muscle I will be worried.

Can't argue with the glucose-tolerance part though!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:21 AM   #7
Janet Rosen

I believe you have to be doing some pretty serious working out to actually put on wt from added muscle mass.
And - don't know your age - for most middle aged folk pretty rare to do so for physiological reasons

Janet Rosen
Old 12-17-2010, 07:04 AM   #8
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Janet:

I use to get up and put in 1-2 hour work out before breakfast when I competed in highly competitive sports. Getting up between 4-6am. was simply what was done. The beauty of no longer training like that is that I have adapted my routine to a highly refined exercise program.

Marc Abrams
I laughed out loud at that one; perfect.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

This is the schedule for PT in the military...and we all know that it works.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #10
Cliff Judge
Japan

I would have liked to see a more detailed description of the actual training regimen. All I read was that it was four days a week, 90 minutes on two of those days and 60 on the other two, and that it was endurance training. I doubt weight training benefits by doing the workout in a fasted state but its not clear from the article.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
Walter Martindale
Canada

There used to be a t-shirt logo that said "Rowers do more before 8 AM than others in a whole day"
Another good source:
http://www.amazon.ca/Spark-Revolutio.../dp/0316113506
W
Old 12-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #12
Amassus

Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
New Zealand

Had that research mentioned here in little ol' NZ news.

Some points to consider...
Experts believe this is not a healthy way to start the day if you expect high energy output later in the day as it can sap reserves.
The tests were done on fit, healthy 28 year old males. So doesn't give any reassurance for women or unfit older males.

Useful information but it needs to be put into context.

Dean.

"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
Old 12-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

Working out on an empty stomach does not work for me. I gives me a nasty headache. Of course, a booked solid stomach is not a good idea either: it gives me a stitch.
As a result, I wake up at four in the morning when I have 7am practice during the week end, and eat before I shower. After class - between nine an ten - I have to eat something before I take a bite out of someone.
I'm a bit plump. Am I doomed to stay that way?