Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #76
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States
Re: Rude Noises and other offending stuff in class

Quote:
Philip Burgess wrote: View Post
My list was a combination of things I have experienced in going to different dojos and seminars. The dojo I go to now, is small, private, elite, snobby place where good personal hygiene is a demand. I post that after a night of beers after class. Yea, it was crude in subject. But never the less any truer.
WOW

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 04-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #77
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Well...this is where y'all bring out the boffer bats (or the bokken) and start whaling on me and yellling, "Mary, shut UP!" But does "spirit" have anything to do with "spirituality"? I think of "spirituality" as a connection with the divine, whether that be Allah or the kami or Jesus or the god in you. The usage of "spirit" in the martial arts, OTOH, has always given me the sense that it was a translation of a word that referred to a particular attitude and that the original had no connotations of the sacred. So, am I wrong about that?

BTW Alex: "yep". Okay. So only people who incorporate a "spiritual process" in their training can be effective in a real-life self-defense situation. By that reasoning, a genocidaire should be the best thing on legs when it comes to facing an attack, not so?
Umm........yep. Realistically I think it'd be impossible to develop a martial art without a spiritual component. All you can really do is choose whether or not your system acknowleges that training will change you and perhaps try and guide the training so that the spiritual development is positive.

Quote:
By that reasoning, a genocidaire should be the best thing on legs when it comes to facing an attack, not so?
Yep. The problem is that we're talking about a psychopath and societies tend to kill psychopaths whenever possible.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #78
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
What is "spiritual growt"?
Scouse. Its a dialect with a perm.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #79
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote: View Post
Umm........yep.
Except they weren't. Yes, it was a setup question, and the correct answer was "Nope".
Old 04-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #80
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Quote:
...Okay. So only people who incorporate a "spiritual process" in their training can be effective in a real-life self-defense situation. By that reasoning, a genocidaire should be the best thing on legs when it comes to facing an attack, not so?
I'll say YES too,
I'm sure a Rwandan 'genocidaire' with his machete would cope amazingly well with facing an attack whether the outcome was good or bad, y'see his 'spiritual development' thus far would make whatever horrors the attack brought about pale into insignificance considering his genocidal history.

I'm also saying 'spiritual development' isn't necessarily a good thing.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #81
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote: View Post
I'll say YES too,
I'm sure a Rwandan 'genocidaire' with his machete would cope amazingly well with facing an attack whether the outcome was good or bad, y'see his 'spiritual development' thus far would make whatever horrors the attack brought about pale into insignificance considering his genocidal history.
In fact, far from "cop[ing] amazingly well", when faced with attacks from anyone other than unarmed and defenseless people, the Rwandan genocidaires (why the quotes?) did amazingly poorly. So much for the "spiritual process/development" argument.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #82
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:
In fact, far from "cop[ing] amazingly well", when faced with attacks from anyone other than unarmed and defenseless people, the Rwandan genocidaires (why the quotes?) did amazingly poorly. So much for the "spiritual process/development" argument.
Now you're changing the subject, that subject being would someone used to killing large numbers of people by hand be bettered prepared for a fight than the average person?
Old 04-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #83
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote: View Post
Now you're changing the subject, that subject being would someone used to killing large numbers of people by hand be bettered prepared for a fight than the average person?
I'm not really changing it, and the subject wasn't about whether someone used to killing large numbers of people by hand would be better prepared for a fight than the average person. It was about "spiritual process" and "spiritual development", remember?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:25 AM   #84
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

I wouldn't allow anyone, regardless of rank, to train on my mat if they had personal hygiene issues. No excuse at all for body and/or gi odor or any other type of odor. We all want to train, not pass out because someone can't keep clean. Zoris off the mat are required, esp. going to the john!!!! Common sense has to take a role and as an instr. I have to set the example.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #85
Guilty Spark

United_States

At my dojo we're not supposed to ask for water or to use the washroom.
I find it annoying. I'm an adult, I'm 30, I'm training pretty heavily physically. I'm also paying for the classes. If I wanna take a piss I should be able to take a piss so long as I'm not disrupting the class going every 5 minutes.
If I want some water because I'm really giving it then same thing.

The explanation I got was that it's some kinda toughness training. Not taking a piss or drinking for water for an hour or two in my opinion isn't really training, it's just annoying.

But since it's not my school it's either shut up an deal with it or leave.

If you're hungry, keep moving.
If you're tired, keep moving.
If you value you're life, keep moving.

You don't own what you can't defend
Old 04-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #86
Grant Buhr
Dojo: Yoshinkan Aikido Buseikan Dojo
Canada

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote: View Post
That's insane. By comparison, we're downright relaxed at my dojo. Good thing, too -- I need to rehydrate frequently.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:41 PM   #87
Buck
United_States

Quote:
Grant Wagar wrote: View Post
I find it annoying.

The explanation I got was that it's some kinda toughness training.
I too would have to agree. That isn't good. I guess you could plan your liquid intake, and not have to pee during class, and limit dehydration. But the idea of it being tough is ridiculous. For one, dehydration can play all sorts of havoc on the body, i.e. a real big one is heart attacks, they can result from dehydration. Holding your urine can cause problems like bladder infections and damage the body in other ways too.

If you are going to the restroom don't go in bare foot and then walk on the mat. No one wants their face in urine or feces tracked in by bare feet. And if you have a bowel movement take off the gi pants so they won't touch the dirty floor, so they don't collect around the ankles on the dirty bathroom floor. No one want to have their face in feces and urine rubbed off the pants of the gi. And wash da' hands for the same reason.

Last edited by Buck : 04-16-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #88
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada

Where in Hell (litterally) do you train. If a bathroom is so filthy you get urine and feces on your pants because they're down at your ankles, then you need to have a serious talk with whoever is in charge of cleaning it.

Jonathan Olson
Old 04-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #89
Rivka Gates

Quote:
I'm not prone to them myself, but that's not what I have been told a "panic attack" is. AFAIK a "panic attack" is a period of heightened anxiety that is sudden and that either has no cause, or is all out of proportion with whatever caused it (e.g., a panic reaction at not having enough quarters for the laundry, or something like that). It doesn't have anything to do with your response to a situation of real threat.
I am prone to them - and that's about right. And frankly for me it's less about anything spiritual and more about frankly stubbornness.

I tend to have panic attacks related to new things. I was planning on visiting a new dojo while I was visiting my parents in CA. I knew that was likely to cause panic. I built in the time before I left and stubborned out the leftover anxiety. I knew it wasn't rational. No amount of spiritual training is going to stop my body from increasing my heartrate, sending my thuoghts racing and everything else that happens.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #90
Kristina Morris
Dojo: Kannagara Jinja

Hey Phil,

Why not include the list of offenses as part of the expectations for students? Just write it in a more polite form. Right off the bat, when someone starts training, let them know what is not tolerated. The instructor sets the rules for their dojo. Sometimes accidents do happen, but repeat offenders of body odor and dirty gi's should be sent off the mat.

Cleanliness is also part of a person's behavior pattern. Let the student know that being clean is part of the training.

If someone passed gas on me, I'd tell them loudly "You are disgusting." And then I'd walk away. I've been married 37 years and I still run from my husband. He's lethal!

Kristina
Old 04-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #91
Sarah Lothmann

Dojo: Glendal, AZ
United_States

A clean body helps foster a clean and clear mind?.... Philip, some of those were really icky!
I wonder what George Carlin would say on the matter if he were still around!

The universe is infinite with blessings.