Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-16-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
lezard39
Dojo: Académie Yoseikan de Montréal
Canada
Demo of aikido in europe by Kancho Mochizuki

Rare clip of the first AIKIDO demo in europe by Kancho Mochizuki Sensei at the vélodrome d'hiver de paris.

http://www.ina.fr/archivespourtous/i...otal_notices=1

Enjoy!
Old 11-29-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States
Re: Demo of aikido in europe by Kancho Mochizuki

Quote:
Olivier Desrochers wrote: View Post
Rare clip of the first AIKIDO demo in europe by Kancho Mochizuki Sensei at the vélodrome d'hiver de paris.
WOW!!!!!

That must be the clip that Mochizuki Sensei described where he took on the champions from the various weight classes at the judo tournament and Nagaoka, the judo master later came to him and said "That was old-style judo." Sensei said he was never able to find that film--it was on a newsreel that was shown in Japanese movie theaters. Fantastic old stuff begins to resurface in this internet age!

That really is a nice clip and Mochizuki Sensei shows some very distinctive movement that is completely characteristic of him. But did you notice anything when he took the chair that the man dropped when he did irimi nage (yoseikan mukae daoshi)? He took the chair and set it on its side at the edge of the mat. Does that little movement remind you of anyone?

Best to you and THANKS!!!

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 11-30-2007, 06:22 AM   #3
Tom Fish
Dojo: McAllen
United_States

Great Clip, as always though, too short. Thanks for bringing it here.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #4
lezard39
Canada

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
WOW!!!!!

That must be the clip that Mochizuki Sensei described where he took on the champions from the various weight classes at the judo tournament and Nagaoka, the judo master later came to him and said "That was old-style judo." Sensei said he was never able to find that film--it was on a newsreel that was shown in Japanese movie theaters. Fantastic old stuff begins to resurface in this internet age!

That really is a nice clip and Mochizuki Sensei shows some very distinctive movement that is completely characteristic of him. But did you notice anything when he took the chair that the man dropped when he did irimi nage (yoseikan mukae daoshi)? He took the chair and set it on its side at the edge of the mat. Does that little movement remind you of anyone?

Best to you and THANKS!!!

David
Yeah a great clip, I was looking for it for a while…

I don't know if it's the clip that Minoru Mochizuki was talking about; I never heard this story of him beating a judo champion, interesting! I read some where that Hiroo saw the clip in the news at the movie theatre and was exited and surprised and proud to see is father in the big screen doing a Shiho nage mixed with a judo technique, the next day he bring all the family to see it.

This presentation was made the 5 or 6 of December 1951, at the VEL'D'HIV of Paris in front of 12 000 spectator, it was the first after war European judo championship. Jean De Herdt of France beat the English Grissom in the final match. Also you can see Kawaishi in the clip.Toshiro Daigo (now 10 dan, and at this time Judo champion of Japan) was also there and beats in a line 10 French judoka and the 10 better Europeans. So maybe Kancho Mochizuki took a match with Daigo…

Humm that little movement reminds me nothing!!! I'm curious; you talk about somebody at the Yoseikan?

Olivier
Old 12-04-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
lezard39
Canada

Kancho Mochizuki said on a interview that the film was made by universal studios. I did a search on the web but I never find anything, I hope some day I will find the entire movie.

On the same site if you search (recherche) for "karate" you gonna find a interview of Hirro Mochizuki made in 1966, it's nice too.

"importé du Japon"

Also, search for "aikido", there a clip by André Noquet. This guy began Aikido with Minoru Sensei but never mention it, but he talks about O Sensei and Tadashi Abe. A lot of political in these years...

Regards

Olivier
Old 12-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
I don't know if it's the clip that Minoru Mochizuki was talking about; I never heard this story of him beating a judo champion, interesting! I read some where that Hiroo saw the clip in the news at the movie theatre and was exited and surprised and proud to see is father in the big screen doing a Shiho nage mixed with a judo technique, the next day he bring all the family to see it.
Olivier,

That's the clip I meant, but I don't know if your clip is the same one. I'm thinking it is. He said that after that demonstration--the one I'm thinking of--he went back to the hotel. I'm thinking Kano and Nagaoka were in the same hotel and that Nagaoka asked Mochizuki "What were you doing out there?" Mochizuki told him, "That was aikido" and Nagaoka said, "That was old-style judo!"

As for his beating a judo champion, he has a very interesting story about a French judoka who kept coming to his classes to watch but didn't participate. Then he showed up at Mochizuki's apartment one day and demanded a match right there, on the spot--they were standing on the sidewalk. So Mochizuki said, "Okay, let's do it," and they started right into judo randori. He said the guy had good rhythm, good timing, good technique, good speed. I'm thinking he was trained by Feldenkrais, who taught in Paris until the Nazis invaded. Anyway, the guy couldn't get a good technique on Sensei, but when Sensei saw an opening, he entered and executed uchi mata gaeshi, took the guy off his feet and over Mochizuki's shoulder with such force that Mochizuki threw himself and landed on top of the guy: ON the SIDEWALK! Both of them came down right on the Frenchman's hip and the Frenchman couldn't get up. So Mochizuki hoisted him up on his shoulders and carried him three flights up to his apartment and put him in the bed, where he treated him with his massage techniques. He had to nurse the guy for something like three weeks and all the French judoka wondered where the guy had gone. Sensei said a rumor was going around that he had killed the guy!

When the Frenchman did recover, he became Sensei's close friend and remained his student for decades afterward. Don't know who the guy was. I think the story is told in Japanese in "Nihon Den Jujutsu: kuroi obi aikido," Sensei's big book.

I'm under the impression that the ukes in the video clip were the winners of the various weight classes in that tournament, but some of these stories get mixed.....I could be wrong.

Quote:
Kancho Mochizuki said on a interview that the film was made by universal studios. I did a search on the web but I never find anything, I hope some day I will find the entire movie.
That's the clip I'm referring to. I've searched for it, too. I think it will surface one of these days. Hope you find it!

Quote:
Also, search for "aikido", there a clip by André Noquet. This guy began Aikido with Minoru Sensei but never mention it, but he talks about O Sensei and Tadashi Abe. A lot of political in these years...
I remember reading somewhere that Nocquet mentions training with Mochizuki Sensei. He said that Sensei tended to break the techniques down into elemental movements and described him as "Catesian," as compared to the wholistic, organic Morihei Ueshiba.

Best to you.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 12-05-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
MM
United_States

Anyone notice the Daito ryu techniques?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:10 PM   #8
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Anyone notice the Daito ryu techniques?
Do you mean the four-on-one attack?

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 12-07-2007, 09:39 AM   #9
lezard39
Canada

Hello David,

Thanks for the story, I never heard about this one, very interesting like always… It’s a good thing that you’re there to tell us story about Kancho and Yoseikan!

If you have more information about the French man it could be help. There a lot of French peoples who train with Mochizuki Sensei at that time.

It could be Jim Alcheik (judo 3 dan at that time) who was assassinate in a commando mission in 1962, exactely a decade after there met but I think it was when Sensei was in Tunesia in 1952.

Maybe Mr. Luc Levannier, when Mochizuki went to Europe Mr Levannier was already a 3 Dan and technical director of the judo French federation. Mochizuki Sensei talks about him once in an article about the Kodokan Judo... They were friends, shared the same idea about Judo.

Dr. R. Marti who wrote the preface of Kancho book “ma méthode d’aikido jiu-jitsu”

If it was somebody at the demo, it could be Guy Cauquil, Michel Dupré or Bernard Pariset who was a great Judoka.

Thanks again

Regards

Olivier
Old 12-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #10
MM
United_States

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
Do you mean the four-on-one attack?

David
The two person shiho nage and the following multiple attackers, yeah.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
David Orange
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
The two person shiho nage and the following multiple attackers, yeah.
Yes, Mochizuki Sensei liked those techniques. But I think they're fairly common in aikido in general. One of my pictures on my "gallery" is of me throwing three ukes at the old yoseikan hombu in Shizuoka.

Sensei included a number of those techniques in his book, Nihon Den Jujutsu.

David

Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 12-10-2007, 08:17 AM   #12
lezard39
Canada

Hi,

Got an other clip of the same demo but from a different movie company “Movie Tone” We can see on this one a great demonstration of kenjutsu combine with ashi wasa.

http://www.movietone.com Search for Ju jitsu European championship.

There is also video archives of the demo at Gaumont-Pathe and at the British Paramount but unforgettably you nead to be in the "movie industry" to be able to see it.

Regards

Olivier