Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-10-2007, 05:31 AM   #1
kenny lee
stitched hakama

whilst we are on the subject of the bujin hakama , or any other for that matter , i would be interested to know what everyone has to say about the stitched pleats idea ? good , bad , ugly , should be seen , should be hidden , you know that kind of thing .
kenny lee.............
Old 07-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #2
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States
Re: stitched hakama

I love stitched pleats.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
United_States

Since I fold both stitched and non-stitched on a regular basis, I can safely say that the non-stitched takes about 3-7 minutes longer to fold properly than the stitched, unless the non-stitched is a *really* heavy material. If the non-stitched is a thin polyester blend (read Century brand or that ilk), it can take up to 15 minutes longer depending on when it was last washed, how neatly it was folded the last time, etc. The downside to the stitched pleats, especially when they are newer, is that they tend to stick out like little pointy things rather than hanging in a graceful curvy wave.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:57 AM   #4
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

I like the tetron hakama from e-bogu with the stitched pleats. Theirs has only the inner pleats stitched so you don't get that "pointy" look that Lori mentioned.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 08-02-2007, 06:32 AM   #5
dragonteeth
Dojo: Elkton Ki-Aikido
United_States

Ooh wish I had known that Bronson! All of the hakama wearers in our dojo have the full cotton Bujin ones...what does their Tetron fabric feel like - lighter/heavier/softer?

Still it would be hard for me to give up that comfy aiki-koshiita and the women's cut option to get rid of the pointy look. It fits so well that I actually prefer to practice in my hakama rather than in just a dogi because of the lower back support. I didn't feel that way about my last one.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:59 AM   #6
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

It's bit heavier than a straight polyester one, but lays nicer than an all cotton one IMO. Also they are virtually maintenance free and the fabric is VERY durable. Not to mention a lot less expensive. I also happen to prefer the standard koshiita as I've found the aiki one doesn't work very well for iaido.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 11-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted some more recent feedback. I am considering asking for a stitch pleated hakama, but I just don't quite know about it. No one in my dojo has one and I want to make sure that they don't drape funky. I want that pretty look to it. Meh... maybe I shouldn't ask for one. Feedback anyone?

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Victoria Pitt
Dojo: Shinjinkai, Chicago, IL
United_States

I JUST started Iaido this week so just put in my order for my hakama... (at least my pants will stay up during Iaido... I will have to wait a long time for this to happen in Aikido). I got it from http://www.budo-aoi.com/ because they have a good deal right now (includes embroidery). I'll let you know what its like though its not stitched.

~Do one thing each day that scares you...~
Old 11-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Quote:
Victoria Pitt wrote: View Post
I JUST started Iaido this week so just put in my order for my hakama... (at least my pants will stay up during Iaido....
ummm

last night....

lol

My hakima nearly fell off....

yeah.

Pants stayed put though.

It seems learning how to properly tie them is yet another art.

If you get one of those stitched ones let us know how you like it. Some day I may be wanting to order myself a new one.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
ninjaqutie

United_States

Hakama are easy to tame once you learn how. Do you tie the front or the back himo first? I do the front ones first and I have found that tying those as tight as is comfortable keeps it up. I then tie the back himo a bit looser. I have to leave the back himo looser to accomodate my bokken and saya for iaito. I'm sure if you are wearing yours in aikido that you could tie them tighter as well. Also, take a look how you are tying them. There are lots of ways. Some people merely wrap around their hips, others take the himo and put them through their belt, which helps keep it in place even more.

~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
Janet Rosen

If you are ordering an all cotton one, the stitching does preserve the pleats after its washed. However, even easier, is a tetron hak ...

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #12
ninjaqutie

United_States

Thanks Janet. I am a bit concerned about the pleats after cleaning. I could really care less about stitching making the folding easier as I learned folding one without stitching and it isn't a big deal to me.

I guess my major concern is how it looks wearing it. I don't want everyone to look at me and go "What is wrong with her hakama? Her pleats are pointy and don't hang right..." I guess what I am asking is does it wear/hang like a non-stiched hakama does.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #13
Janet Rosen

If the stitching is on the "outside" pleats, there will be a slight but noticeable difference. If the stitching is only on the "inside" pleats, nothing will be visible. I'm guessing the stitching is on both. If it makes life easier, why does it matter if it is noticeable?

Janet Rosen
Old 11-24-2009, 01:01 AM   #14
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Hi
Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
... I'm guessing the stitching is on both. If it makes life easier, why does it matter if it is noticeable?
This is an interesting debatte. ;-)
I am practicing for over 15 years now an I have never seen a stitched Hakama. I didn't even know such thing exists.
(If I get the word "stitched" right: I means that the pleats are sewed up so they can't get "lost", does it?)

Well I think one reason of wearing hakama ist to dress kind of "authentically". Another reason is to dress a way, it looks nice. It's also about focussing the center and moving more consciuous. And so on.
Shouldn't we "respect" the difficulties of wearing and handling this piece oh clothing the way it's meant do be?

In some DVDs of Endo Sensei one of his andvanced students and also interpreter to english even wears a hakama with patches on the knees. It looks very good ...

Greetings,
Carsten
Old 11-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #15
mari
Dojo: Green Bay Aikikai
United_States

I've worn stitched pleats hakama for the past 5 years and I love it it does look a bit different but there are so many different hakamas these days and they all look different due to material, color, koshita, some are cut specifically for women... i have yet to have someone come to me and point and laugh at my stitched pleats but i've had people comment on how easier it must be to fold and they are right, it is easy, specially for someone like me who has two left hands.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #16
ninjaqutie

United_States

The one I have been looking at are just the inside pleats. The outside one's are left open.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #17
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
(If I get the word "stitched" right: I means that the pleats are sewed up so they can't get "lost", does it?)
Yes, they are edgestitched right along the pleat.

I have no compunction about altering any garment to make it more useful so long it continues to meet basic group standard (it isn't a green dogi or a striped hakama...)

Janet Rosen
Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #18
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I have no compunction about altering any garment to make it more useful so long it continues to meet basic group standard (it isn't a green dogi or a striped hakama...)
Have you Mr. F. Rowell (http://www.advdojo.org/) and his 'famous' camoflauge hak? I could not tell if it was stitched or not ...

I want to have my hak stitched but I'm not sure how far down the pleat does the stitch go? I suppose all the way .... seems like the hem at the bottom would go all weird.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.