Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-27-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
AikiWeb System
Article: The Nature of Ukemi by George S. Ledyard

Discuss the article, "The Nature of Ukemi" by George S. Ledyard here.

Article URL: http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/gledyard/2004_10.html
Old 11-09-2004, 10:42 PM   #2
willy_lee
Dojo: City Aikido
Re: Article: The Nature of Ukemi by George S. Ledyard

I love this bit:
Quote:
If uke is adjusting constantly to nage's energy and nage is adjusting to uke's energy, who controls the interaction? This is the essential koan of Aikido.
This sounds like so much fun....

and this:
Quote:
Ukemi is quite a bit like surfing. As one perceives the energy of the technique one moves with it, never resisting.
I came up with a theory once that every pleasurable, wonderful thing in life has something of this feel of which I think surfing provides the best analogy -- which is why I really want to learn how to surf! Too bad about the cold water around here though, and the sharks, can't forget those.

=wl

Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:42 AM   #3
jss
Netherlands

Quote:
Willy Lee wrote:
I came up with a theory once that every pleasurable, wonderful thing in life has something of this feel of which I think surfing provides the best analogy -- which is why I really want to learn how to surf! Too bad about the cold water around here though, and the sharks, can't forget those.
=wl
So if we can get a thread started about aikido on sharks, you're halfway there!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
tokabison
Dojo: Wethersfield, CT
United_States
Thumbs up Re: Article: The Nature of Ukemi by George S. Ledyard

Great article! It happened to apply to a conversation I was having with a Hapkido teacher. He didn't understand that ukemi was not only rolling. Thanks for posting it.
Dr. B
p.s. a sempai of mine has switched to surfing these days!
Old 02-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

Quote:
If uke is adjusting constantly to nage's energy and nage is adjusting to uke's energy, who controls the interaction? This is the essential koan of Aikido.
The moment nage and uke connect their energies combine and the interaction becomes simply action. In the absence of control the action is allowed to unfold naturally to its logical conclusion.

Ron
Old 03-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
The other 50% of ukemi is the ability to receive the technique which results from the interaction between the uke and the nage.... No one goes into a fight thinking he is uke.
Right again, George:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6d6_1300111637
Old 03-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Dan Hover
Dojo: Bond Street Dojo/Aikido of Greater Milwaukee
United_States

The article fails to mention what i think is one of the more obvious flaws in Aikido training. Ledyard Sensei goes on at great length about the importance of Uke's role, and yet I am willing to go out on a limb and say that in the overwhelming majority of dojo in the US. The primary Uke for taijutsu waza is the junior of the pair. Contrast that to Koryu arts, where the senior is the Uke. This is a mentality that we need to shift back into.

Allowing the lead Uke to be the sempai in the relationship in order to provide the context that allows the kohai the advantage of learning with a committed "true" attack, and all the benefits that Ledyard Sensei mentioned. This to me, allows a greater sacrifice of the sempai's time and energy, but fosters a more caring attitude towards the learning process, vs. Sempai throws kohai around, and kohai still struggles with their repetitions. That relationship that one sees in Koryu arts, to me should be re imported back into Aikido training.

Dan Hover

of course that's my opinion, I could be wrong