Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-03-2004, 11:50 PM   #1
phenixinflight
United_States
i need help finding a book

Hi! I'm new to this site, and I was not sure where exactly to post this thread. Since the topic of the book I am trying to find is the spiritual side of aikido, I thought I'd start here. Several years ago I taught begininng aikido to college students. I focused quite a bit on the everyday applications that reached far beyond the mat and I had a great book that illustrated how to take the principles of aikido into life- relationships, conflict resolution, etc... I lent that book to one of my students.... Anyway, as life is drawing me back to practice (I had to take time away due to my own schooling and jobs), I have thought of the wisdom in that book. I have had great difficulty however locating it! I have checked several websites, and none of the books listed look familiar, so I'm hoping someone can help me. When I had it, it was in paperback. The cover was gray, with some white, and if memory is serving me correctly, it may have had a sumi brushed circle on it. I thought it was called The Aikido Way, but I may be wrong since any of the other books by that titile do not match what I remember the book looking like. The main focus in the book was how to use aikido in dealing with others- such as when there is conflict, how to use the others energy into resolving the problem. The book I am describing sounds very similiar to many of the popular books out there, but like I stated before- I looked at many sites that had exhaustive lists of aikido books, but I did not seem to find this one. Perhaps I had an older edition, and that is why I am not recognizing it? If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated. (the discription of the cover sounds a lot like G.Homma Sensei's "Aikido for Life", but that is not it...)
Thanks! Peace! Amy
Old 08-04-2004, 01:24 AM   #2
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Re: i need help finding a book

Three books that deal with relationships and Aikido don't seem to fit your physical description. The first is Aikido in Everyday Life: Giving in to Get Your Way Terry Dobson, Victor Miller, ~ North Atlantic Books 01 January, 1993 ~ ISBN: 155643151. The second is The Way of Aikido: Life Lessons from an American Sensei George Leonard, ~ Dutton Books 01 May, 1999 ~ ISBN: 0525944133. The third is Magic of Conflict Thomas Crum, ~ Touchstone 01 January, 1988 ~ ISBN: 0671668366.

A book that seems close to your physical description of the sumi circle cover is Aikido and the Harmony of Nature Mitsugi Saotome, ~ Shambhala 1993 ~ ISBN 0-87773-855-6. But that book has a cream color cover and deals more with the nature of Aikido.

Perhaps if you could give a closer description. Was it paperback or hardback. Was the author American or Japanese? Besides relationships, what specifically did the chapters cover? Do you know when it might have been published? Do you know someone who might have seen you with the book and could tell you the title?

Good luck with your hunt.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 08-04-2004, 11:30 PM   #3
phenixinflight
United_States

Thanks for your help. I have considered those books, but I don't think that they are it. The one that fits the content the closest is the book by Dobson. I actually thought that that was it, but the cover doesn't match. Unfortunately, most of those I practiced with have moved on, so I don't think anyone from my dojo would remember...this was about 4-5 years ago.
From what I remember, each chapter went into lengthy discussions about the paralells between the physical practice of aikido and how it works for "everyday living". For example, in a situation where two people are butting heads, you could stay locked in that situation indefinately. But by doing a mental tenchi nagi (sorry for spelling?) the conflict can be resolved in a win win end. The book goes on with several examples and ways to practice this. I could swear the book cover was gray and had no people on it. Old edition? I also believe there were no or few pictures on the inside. It was a very straight forward and reflective book.
Thanx again! Peace,
Amy
Old 08-05-2004, 09:23 AM   #4
Charles Hill
Dojo: Numazu Aikikai/Aikikai Honbu Dojo

Hi Amy,

The Terry Dobson book has had at least two editions with different covers on each.

Charles Hill
Old 08-05-2004, 10:58 AM   #5
Creature_of_the_id

Dojo: Alnwick aikido club (UKAU)
England

could it be 'aikido in every day life' by Koichi Tohei? (sp?)

I cant find my copy right now, but when I do I post the isbn etc

Old 08-05-2004, 11:12 AM   #6
tony cameron

The Art of Peace maybe? I think the cover has a painted caligraphy that looks like enso 'the circle of Zen' or a sumi. i can't look though because you know what, i lent mine out too! books just come and go don't they? The Unfettered Mind by Takuan Soho is also very inspirational and filled with timeless wisdom (if you can find a copy). you can borrow mine if you want

tony1
Old 09-11-2004, 04:05 PM   #7
Aikidoiain
Abu Dhabi

If you are looking for a truly Spiritual book, I'd recommend, "The Principles of Effortless Power" by Peter Ralston. In it he describes his search for enlightenment through meditation and Martial Arts.

He founded a school called "CHENG HSIN". The book I have was released on "North Atlantic Books", Berkley, California in 1999. It's the kind of book that'll take a lifetime to absorb. He leads you through his personal experiences which led towards enlightenment.

I hope you find the book you're looking for, but check this one out too.

Iain.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:14 PM   #8
rschoele
Dojo: UC Irvine
United_States
Do symbol Re: i need help finding a book

another interesting read which can provide some spiritual/historical background to the eventual zen influence on the japanese martial arts is

"The Bodhisattva Warriors: The Origin, Inner Philosophy, History and Symbolism of the Buddhist Martial Art Within India and China"

it mainly focuses on the the buddhist influence on the warrior classes of india it's spread to the chinese chaun fa (spelling?) or kung fu, which obviously influenced and cross cultured with the jujutsu of japan. Basically I see it as getting a deeper understanding of the asian culture of which Ueshiba was heir to and possible influences on aikido.
ryan
Old 09-13-2004, 10:32 AM   #9
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States

Please try William Gleason Sensei's The Spiritual Foundations of Aikido.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:43 AM   #10
Sue Trinidad
Dojo: Island Aikido
United_States

Is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
Old 09-21-2004, 10:55 AM   #11
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

#1 book in my mind for spiritual is "Ki In Daily Life" by Koichi Tohei Sensei. In my opinion, the best. Alot of people just pass it off as a "ki exercises" book, but it's basicly a nonstop spiritual lecture by Tohei Sensei.

Best of luck

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 09-22-2004, 07:56 AM   #12
Mike James
Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States
Ai symbol Re: i need help finding a book

Hi!
I think the book you are looking for is titled:
The Way of Aikido (Life Lessons of an American Sensei) by
George Leonard. It's listed as a Plume Book, which is a member of and published by Penguin Putnam Inc.
ISBN 0-452-27972-0 is the paperback number.

www.penguinputnam.com

I hope this helps!
Old 09-22-2004, 09:00 AM   #13
Jonathan Thielen

Dojo: Greensboro Kodokan Aikido Dojo

Sounds like you're getting plenty of help, Amy! But whether or not one of the following are the books you're looking for, I would recommend them both (they almost fit your description):

Aikido and the Harmony of Nature by Mitsugi Saotome

The Art of Peace by Morihei Ueshiba (collection of sayings & writings, edited by John Stevens)

Good luck and happy reading!
Jonathan
Old 09-22-2004, 01:15 PM   #14
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

Sounds like Dobson's book.
It is so close to what you have described that it is worth owning regardless.