Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Seminars

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #101
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States
Re: California Aikiweb meet-up!?

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Oh, looking for insider information, eh?

only if you can find within your heart to lead your intent to share it!
Old 09-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #102
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

I would also like to give a big thanks to Rick Rowell for the use of the Dojo, his time, patience and great stories! Also, thanks to Bruce for setting the whole thing up, and to all who make it out!

Nothing big Phi. It's just that when you get people together and start talking, in person, sensibly you can start to see that what seemed like a large difference in understanding isn't so great.

Everyone there was pretty cool, and having another meet up is, in my opinion a great idea.

I'd like to offer my Dojo up for the next California Aikiweb meet up. How about May-ish?

Old 09-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #103
BWells
Dojo: ADV
United_States

Well I definitely enjoyed meeting everyone and the training. I would support doing it again. Note that Rick said he had a good time too and hoped that what he went over Sat morning, was in line with what everyone wanted.

May-ish at Chris's works for as of now.

I also agree that in talking and asking more detailed followup questions, we found that mostly we were all in sync. Worked on structure, ground paths, relaxation, connection. All the buzz words

Was fun and got to go out with a few folks at the end and drink some beer. Always a good ending
Old 09-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #104
Janet Rosen

Phi, since Ric, Bruce and I had all been at the Seattle Aiki seminar just a few wks earlier, we oriented our stuff to that. In the afternoon session I started by talking about explorations I have been doing (prompted not just by seminar but also arguing on Aikiweb w/ Graham about "hips") with the difference between anatomical hips (where femur meets bottom of pelvis) and what most people call hips (upper lateral pelvis) and the how differently and separately they can move and open and stabilize. From that I had us play w/ some of Toby's exercises for finding stability in structure and pulling one leg vs pushing the other, then I handed it over to Bruce...I'll let him describe what he did...then he handed it over to Chris...I'll let him describe what he did. Big fun. May in Central Valley theoretically works for me: I expect there to be trips to/from SFO for my mom, assuming her health holds, so coordinating with that would rock.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #105
BWells
United_States

Well lets see, what did I do. Hum memory may be going

I continued some of the structure exercises from Toby that Janet started, mainly working on keeping structure as people put pressure on you from different angles or move around you. I also showed an exercise on turning from your waist rather than hips (oops sorry Janet, not hips, pelvis) that Howard Popkin showed me at the Seattle Aiki Seminar. Didn't do too much, showed the above and let people practice. Then turned it over to Chris.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #106
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Hey guys,
I'd like to offer up my Dojo for an aikiweb meet-up in the spring- April or May. We are located in Fresno, which is pretty central, and there are lot's of good places to eat/hang out around where the dojo is located (Fresno's Tower district). Our school is 3,300 sqft, with over half that being mat space. If anyone needs a place to crash they are welcome to stay the night in the Dojo. We could do a Saturday and Sunday, or just a one day event.

The last meet up was fun, let's do it again.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #107
BWells
United_States

I'm up for it and so far the timing looks good!

thanks
Bruce
Old 01-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #108
Janet Rosen

I will likely be tied up with family stuff end of April but if I have to get my mom to SFO in May that puts me partway to Fresno so keeping options open.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield