Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-21-2004, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: Do you think Morihei Ueshiba intended aikido for everyone?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of November 21, 2004:

Do you think Morihei Ueshiba intended aikido for everyone?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:12 AM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Poll: Do you think Morihei Ueshiba intended aikido for everyone?

Everyone but hoodlums.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-21-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
MM45
United Kingdom

Yes, and with great respect, even the hoodlums, so that they may see the error of there ways and become better human beings.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:21 PM   #4
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

I believe he reconciled himself to aikido for everyone. Before his son dumped these entrance requirements, the founder demanded prospective students be expert in another martial art and have two personal letters of reference from high placed people with whom the founder had a relationship.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 11-21-2004, 01:44 PM   #5
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

[b]I think the old man, OSensei, was a bit of a stiff (conservative), but his son Kisshomaru, threw wide the floodgates. Now Aikido has a real chance to become something.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:03 PM   #6
Angeles
Dojo: Aikido Ueshiba
Mexico

Morihei Ueshiba was the first one to answer YES to this question.
After he die
Old 11-22-2004, 09:09 AM   #7
roninja

Dojo: UCO Budo Society/ Eye of the Storm
United_States

hmmm... I don't know if any of you have seen the Ueshiba and Aikido videos... or at least I think that's what they are called, I would have to travel to the fourth floor to find them, and I don't really feel like getting up to check a name right now. Anyway, Ueshiba states in these movies that Aikido is for the whole world. I'm not saying that this refutes or re-enforces anyone's statements. Just interesting I think.

僕わ Joseph Dunkin
"Compassion is pure kindness
Wisdom is knowing the truth of dependent origin"
- Ven. Hsing Yun
Old 11-25-2004, 04:21 PM   #8
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Having said that between my original training in Aikido in the '80s and the last 8 months at Finger Lakes Aikido, I know a heck of a lot less than most people here, I have these two print sources:

Quote:
In 1942, the name "Aikido" was formally adopted for Morihei's art, and his son Kisshomaru was appointed head instructor of the Tokyo dojo. Morihei told Kisshomaru, "I will leave it up to you to promote Aikido in society; I want to devote the rest of my life to further training."
--Ueshiba, Moriteru, THE AIKIDO MASTER COURSE -- BEST AIKIDO 2, Kodansha International Ltd 2003, p. 205.

So while Kisshomaru may have "opened the flood gates," his father had told him to "promote" Aikido. If O Sensei thought his son had gone too far, it isn't in any print source I've found yet.

Quote:
On April 15 (1969), Morihei (Ueshiba's) condition became critical; as his many disciples and friends made their final calls, he gave his last instructions: "Aikido is for the entire world. Train not for selfish reasons, but for all people everywhere."
-- Stevens, John, Under the Direction of Shirata Rinjiro, AIKIDO: THE WAY OF HARMONY, Shamballa Pulbications, 1984, p. 13

Again, if he meant for Aikido to be restricted or under wraps, he may have changed his mind just as he was dying. But everything I've read on Aikido bcks up the view that after World War 2, O Sensei wanted Aikido spread, not restircted.

So I voted "Yes."
Old 11-25-2004, 04:31 PM   #9
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
[b]I think the old man, OSensei, was a bit of a stiff (conservative), but his son Kisshomaru, threw wide the floodgates. Now Aikido has a real chance to become something.
Y'think? I mean, the best guestimate is that there are only a trifling 1.5 million Aikidoka worldwide. Think it's got a chance to spread?

In contrast, the Indonesian art of Pentjak Silat Serak was kept totally secret until relatively recently; Maha Guru Victor de Thouars had to break with members of his own family to teach it publicly, and AFAIK, those wounds have never healed. And even with all he's done since 1994 to promote Serak, with his web site, books, DVDs, distance learning programs, web cam classes, seminars, and nurturing groups like the one I'm in, the number of individual who have the whole system can be counted without running out of fingers (plus a toe or two), and they're all old men in their 60s or 70s. Pembantu Andy Astle, whom Pak Vic has allowed to teach Serak, once called it a "dying art."

Aikido has 1.5 million adherants worldwide.

Gee, y' think Aikido can finally become something!?

Ugh.