Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
MRQuad
Need Help in 8th Kyu Techniques (Yoshinkan)

guys, i am only a 9th Kyu and wants to learn in advance some techniques of an 8th Kyu.. i know the other basics and found some video clip on youtube, but the one i have listed here, are the ones that i can't find video to learn from.. can anyone lead me or send me a link doing the following techniques?

below are the techniques..

Katate mochi, shiho nage ichi -One wrist grasp, all direction pin #1
Katate mochi, shiho nage ni -One wrist grasp, all direction pin #2
Shomen uchi, ikkajo osae ichi -Front strike, first control pin #1
Shomen uchi, ikkajo osae ni -Front strike, first control pin #2

thanks in advance guys.. appreciated it very much.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti
Wink Re: needs help..

Ok, so you are young and impatient. We've all been like that.
Why do you want to learn in advance the next kyu's program? Are you sure that you have mastered your own program? Have you discussed this with Sensei?
There is a reason why some things need to be learned before others: it's because they are the foundation of everything that will come later. If you try to learn something without being comfortable with the basics, you will struggle a lot. It's like trying to build a house on sand.
You will find those techniques that you are looking for if that's what you want to do. There are books, the internet, etc... But are you sure that trying to skip stones will help you in your training?
I suggest that you honestly talk about this to your Sensei. A healthy student/instructor relation relies on trust. Don't do anything behind his back. I mean, anything related to your training, of course. He will not appreciate it, and you can end up skewing his efforts more than anything else.
Now, go train.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
MRQuad
Re: needs help..

Quote:
Marie Noelle Fequiere wrote: View Post
Ok, so you are young and impatient. We've all been like that.
Why do you want to learn in advance the next kyu's program? Are you sure that you have mastered your own program? Have you discussed this with Sensei?
There is a reason why some things need to be learned before others: it's because they are the foundation of everything that will come later. If you try to learn something without being comfortable with the basics, you will struggle a lot. It's like trying to build a house on sand.
You will find those techniques that you are looking for if that's what you want to do. There are books, the internet, etc... But are you sure that trying to skip stones will help you in your training?
I suggest that you honestly talk about this to your Sensei. A healthy student/instructor relation relies on trust. Don't do anything behind his back. I mean, anything related to your training, of course. He will not appreciate it, and you can end up skewing his efforts more than anything else.
Now, go train.
thank you so much for your honest reply, i appreciate it.. the reason why i want to do it in advance is because i want to be ready when i am on the mat, i only attained the class every saturday, because i am working in the afternoon the whole week for a min. of 40hrs to a max. of 60hrs.

this is what i did before i took the 9th Kyu, learn from the video and apply, and practice it the whole week in the house.. and so far, i did pass the test. as far as the 9th Kyu basics techniques is concern, i mastered all of them and had no problems with it. (i think)

below are the following:

Migi hanmi no kamae -Right Basic Stance
Hidari hanmi no kamae -Left Basic Stance
Seiza ho -Kneeling
Shikko ho -Knee Walking
Tai no henko ichi -Cross Step and Body Change
Tai no henko ni -95 Degree Pivot
Hiriki no yosei ichi -Elbow Power #1
Hiriki no yosei ni -Elbow Power #2
Shumatsu Dosa ichi -Fixing Movement #1
Shumatsu Dosa ni -Fixing Movement #2

if i can't find it, and no one will provide me, i guess my best bet is to ask the senior to show me how to do this, and that.. but, it would be better if i can practice it at home and be ready for the next test, if there's any..

please, help me out. thanks again..
Old 11-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti
Wink Re: needs help..

I'm sorry I spanked your fingers like that. If you passed your first exam, you are indeed qualified to learn the next curriculum. What you are doing is not the perfect way to learn, but if this is what you can manage because of your job, go for it.
But I still insist that you seek support from your dojo. Each school has their own variations for some techniques. You can communicate with some willing sempais by e mail, or ask them to recommend books or videos. It's so easy these days to make a short film of oneself with a cell phone (with the help of somebody else, of course) and send it via e mail.
Ask inside the dojo, you might be surprised to what extent some sempais are willing to help.
Welcome to Aikido, and good luck with your training.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Need Help in 8th Kyu Techniques (Yoshinkan)

Hi Marvin,

Where do you train? I train at a yoshinkan dojo as well, so I recognize all of the waza you mention. I think the best use of your home keiko is **after** getting instruction at the dojo, but of course opinions often vary on things like that. If you search on the name of the waza on e-budo or aikidojournal's web forums, you may find some interesting discussions on them.

If you go here: http://www.doshinkan-aikido.org/media/waza/ you can find some representative techniques. It may be early for you to put out this kind of money yet, but if you go to the hombu dojo website you should be able to find a dvd that has all 150 or so basic waza. I found it very instructive (actually, it's about time for me to review it again).

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 11-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Ah, thought so...

go to google and put in the japanese name of the waza. you'll find this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAVP7F89cpU

and others.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 11-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

if you can do shumatsu dosa ichi and ni, then you already have most of what you need to perform the 8th kyu techniques. I suggest mastering the kihon dosa. Everything else will fall into place in time.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:58 AM   #8
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England

Well said Steven!

If you cannot wait until your inro in the dojo, check out his DVD set. It is prey good!

http://www.shindokanbooks.com/yoshinkan.shtml

I remember (just) how I wanted to know all the techniques through to the Yudansha test when I started!!!

Osu!
Old 11-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #9
MRQuad

thank you guys for the response, i appreciate it very much.. i am so surprise when i went to our dojo and do some practice.. (i wasn't able to attend some practice for like 3 weeks..)and our sensei mentioned about the test this tuesday, i was like &^$%^%$#%$#$#@&

guys, i have only 3 days to prepare.. i pretty much know how the technique goes, but haven't mastered it yet.. even though i am wayyy behind, as in waaaaayyyyy behind (sorry about that, this is true) i still have my name listed as one of those students that will take the test.

sorry about that long introduction.. what's the best way to mastered those techniques that i am not 100% confident of? what i meant is, is there a video clip that do this technique so that for me to review of? guys, i need help.. sorry for all of this, but this is the only site where i can ask some information..

by the way guys, the techniques that i want to familiarize are:

Katate mochi, shiho nage ichi -One wrist grasp, all direction pin #1
Katate mochi, shiho nage ni -One wrist grasp, all direction pin #2
Shomen uchi, ikkajo osae ichi -Front strike, first control pin #1
Shomen uchi, ikkajo osae ni -Front strike, first control pin #2

guys, please flame me later for this post, but i just really need your help..

thanks in advance!

marvin
Old 11-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #10
MRQuad

after i post the message above, i came across to this website about the dvd, that could help me through someday, without bothering someone with my questions:

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...roductid=16189

what do you guys think about this dvd, is this will fit to my needs? i am planning this after the test this tuesday.. i don't care spending this much, what do you think guys?

marvin
Old 12-01-2008, 08:34 AM   #11
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Excellent DVD, highly recommended.

Don't worry about your test...I failed at least one...I just trained harder and took it again. No biggie.

Best,
Ron (just keep training)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 12-02-2008, 11:55 PM   #12
MRQuad

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Excellent DVD, highly recommended.

Don't worry about your test...I failed at least one...I just trained harder and took it again. No biggie.

Best,
Ron (just keep training)
thanks alot for the response.. i will get that one next week.. so that i will be able to familiarize myself of the techniques..

update: i did took the test though, but i am not sure if i did the right thing.. i hope i did.. i am not sure when is the result, but hopefully i pass..

one thing guys, right after performing the test, i took off.. as in have to go, because i have to go to work.. do you think that my sensei are ok with what i did? i ask permission though, before the class starts..

i am praying they pass me..
Old 12-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #13
Ron Tisdale
United_States

I think if you asked and they realize it is work, you should have no issue.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 09-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
tenshoibuki
Dojo: Yoshinkan Aikido Malaysia
Malaysia

Agree with most of you.
The 8th kyu technique is the most important technique in yoshinkan aikido.Your sensei will telling u tht cause it include all of the basic move in yoshinkan aikido.
You can practice the move in sumatsu dosa ichi n ni.These technique required strong basic. Believe me,mastering these technique mean mastering yoshinkan aikido
I am 1st kyu n still practicing it so no need hurry. u will need alot of practice on this techniques. Most importantly, video cant teach u the tecniques.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #15
Adam Huss

United_States

Marvin,

Please don't feel in a hurry to test! I know your probably very enthusiastic about your training, but you have the rest of your life for tests. As was mentioned earlier, kihon dosa is super important. Especially practicing sotai dosa basic movements. Good luck, and I'm sorry you have such limitations to your training time. Oh, and don't forget to study the ukemi for each technique. Some techniques, such as shihonage, have important things to remember as far as what uke should do to stay safe!
Osu!

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!