Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Yianie
United_States
Aikido maneuver manual

Hello, I'm starting to take lessons, but I can not be on the mat and still take notes. Is there a handbook of technics so I can refer when I'm off the mat? A great manual will be very helpful thank you.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Alic
Dojo: Sokushinkan Dojo, Vancouver
Canada
Re: Aikido maneuver manual

My, you're quite the keener eh?

There's a few books published by several high profile masters (Gozo Shioda, the Ueshiba clan, Koichi Tohei, Kenji Tomiki, etc), I'm in Yoshinkan and so the beginner's course and the master's course books are great, since they explain the 150 basic techniques and the advance variations and secret teachings well, with photos of the movements in detail. It's no substitute for training, but it's great as a self-improvement aid. Another one that would benefit all styles of Aikido is Dynamic Aikido and Total Aikido.

Now, I know that Ki Society and Aikikai has books, but I'm not too sure about Shodokan or Iwama-ryu. You can check online catalogues of several bookstores like Indigo Chapters and see. They will usually have Aikido in the name so it should be relatively easy.

You can also use youtube. There's instructional videos online for several techniques. Many schools also publish their own videos online for their students and the general public. Aikido as a style is actually very open about teaching their techniques. I know several schools of martial arts that is totally closed to non-students, and does not allow their students to train in public. This is real bad for growth, as it will make your art less and less well known. You should take advantage of Aikido's openness and search everywhere. There's stuff all over the place.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Try "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" by Westbrook and Ratti. Regardless of style, it is a valuable resource for most.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Try "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" by Westbrook and Ratti. Regardless of style, it is a valuable resource for most.
I agree. It is a very clear guide to a lot of different techniques. It is geared towards early ki-society training though (I think Ki Society has changed a bit since then, so correct me if I'm wrong), so it will be more or less useful depending on what style you do.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #5
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Aikido and the dynamic sphere did not appeal to me at all. Sure the drawings are nice but the information in the book is not that good (sometimes directly misleading).

I would suggest:
Effortless Combat Throws by Cartmell (not aikido but discuss proper throwing technique regardless of style with more explanations, details and clarity than all aikido books that I´ve read).
Total Aikido by Shioda (especially the first part regarding principles)
New Edition of Takemusu Aikido by Saito
Yurusu Budo by Nishio
Living Aikido.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #6
Hanna B
Sweden

Quote:
John Vasos wrote: View Post
Hello, I'm starting to take lessons, but I can not be on the mat and still take notes. Is there a handbook of technics so I can refer when I'm off the mat? A great manual will be very helpful thank you.
If you want books, get books that are as close to your dojo's and teacher's style of aikido as possible. Otherwise it will just get you confused.The "style-less" approach in the first book Peter mentions above sounds great too, but perhaps not what the beginner usually has in mind.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:24 AM   #7
robin_jet_alt
Australia

Quote:
Peter Gröndahl wrote: View Post
Aikido and the dynamic sphere did not appeal to me at all. Sure the drawings are nice but the information in the book is not that good (sometimes directly misleading).

I would suggest:
Effortless Combat Throws by Cartmell (not aikido but discuss proper throwing technique regardless of style with more explanations, details and clarity than all aikido books that I´ve read).
Total Aikido by Shioda (especially the first part regarding principles)
New Edition of Takemusu Aikido by Saito
Yurusu Budo by Nishio
Living Aikido.
If you aren't either doing Nishio aikido or you are already very experienced, I wouldn't recommend Yurusu Budo. A lot of what Nishio says is geared towards people who are already experienced, and it is quite different to many other styles. I got a lot out of this book, but only after training for 10 years and then training at a Nishio style dojo.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:31 AM   #8
crbateman

Ask your primary instructor for his suggestions. There are many paths up the same mountain, and your instructional material should coincide with your instructor. There is nothing wrong with exploring different slants, but wait to do that until you have a grasp on the fundamentals as they are being taught to you, so you will be able to recognize and understand the differences. Doing so too soon will only serve to confuse you.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:
Not a book, but perhaps give Aikido 3D a try as a reference.

Peace

Dalen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 03-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
Rob Watson
United_States

Write the manual yourself ... in your bones.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
Yianie
United_States

Quote:
Dalen Johnson wrote: View Post
Not a book, but perhaps give Aikido 3D a try as a reference.

Peace

Dalen
What is Aikido 3D?
Old 03-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
wouldn't that hurt, like alot?

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 03-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #13
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada

When you start doing aikido the movements feel unnatural. It takes 6 months to a year to get over it. There are so many techniques that trying to "remember" them is a chore. Aikido is not techniques, it is a way of movement. We learn the way of movement by practicing a LOT of techniques.

When I started, I asked my sensei about a book (it was "dynamic sphere"). He made a funny face and told me that the book was written by a 2 dan and a 3 dan (not very experienced). His advice: skip the books and come to the dojo. It needs to go into your body, not your brain, and it's going to take a while.

I am a total book lover and have always read books, but I still find that aikido books and videos are not very helpful. After all this time my aikido "library" is just a small handful of books, but training is still great. If you have a good teacher, just train. Youtube can be inspiring, but might not be that practically helpful and might actually make things more confusing.

I know many people love learning from multimedia, but it's my experience that it can be a bit of a red herring. Just relax, train, and enjoy the process. It will be a great feeling when things start to "click" eventually!

Last edited by Conrad Gus : 03-09-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
What is Aikido 3D?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v3vas8ofg8
Old 03-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
wouldn't that hurt, like alot?
Yeah - getting to the bones and then grinding it in with a Dremel.. Ouch

messy, too...
Old 03-10-2012, 01:55 AM   #16
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:
Conrad Gustafson wrote: View Post
When you start doing aikido the movements feel unnatural. It takes 6 months to a year to get over it.
Indeed...

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 03-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #17
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Clark Bateman wrote: View Post
Ask your primary instructor for his suggestions.
IMHO, Ditto!

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #18
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Conrad Gustafson wrote: View Post
When you start doing aikido the movements feel unnatural. It takes 6 months to a year to get over it. There are so many techniques that trying to "remember" them is a chore. Aikido is not techniques, it is a way of movement. We learn the way of movement by practicing a LOT of techniques.

When I started, I asked my sensei about a book (it was "dynamic sphere"). He made a funny face and told me that the book was written by a 2 dan and a 3 dan (not very experienced). His advice: skip the books and come to the dojo. It needs to go into your body, not your brain, and it's going to take a while.

I am a total book lover and have always read books, but I still find that aikido books and videos are not very helpful. After all this time my aikido "library" is just a small handful of books, but training is still great. If you have a good teacher, just train. Youtube can be inspiring, but might not be that practically helpful and might actually make things more confusing.

I know many people love learning from multimedia, but it's my experience that it can be a bit of a red herring. Just relax, train, and enjoy the process. It will be a great feeling when things start to "click" eventually!
Dear Conrad,
May I point out to you and others that when the book ie Aikido an the dynamic sphere ' was written any person who had a second /third dan was in these days looked upon as practically a god? Today we have
seventh/eighth Dans /Shihan [some self promoted] springing up two a penny everywhere. Has your teacher written a book,if so , good , if not why be critical of a book[ which was useful reading material for someone looking for info ]and apparently shows little respect for both the authors of said book. Cheers, Joe
Old 03-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #19
jackie adams

A surprise to me no one yet has mentioned Budo Training in Aikido by the founder? I guess, I am the first!
Old 03-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #20
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States

Quote:
Jackie Adams wrote: View Post
A surprise to me no one yet has mentioned Budo Training in Aikido by the founder? I guess, I am the first!
I just ordered that from Amazon, and should be getting it Tuesday. Our schools have a list of recommended reading, so I'm picking up a few books a month off of the list. My problem with the books is that I am not experienced enough to understand some of what they are saying. I've read Aikido and the Harmony of Nature a few times, and I'm still not *getting* several chapters of it. So, I think the books are good to have when you are alone, but regular practice in a dojo is more useful. Plus having a teacher that is patient enough to explain parts of those books to you is also a nice thing to be able to rely on.

--Ashley
Old 03-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #21
Autrelle Holland

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
AGREE
Old 03-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #22
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Conrad,
May I point out to you and others that when the book ie Aikido an the dynamic sphere ' was written any person who had a second /third dan was in these days looked upon as practically a god? Today we have
seventh/eighth Dans /Shihan [some self promoted] springing up two a penny everywhere. Has your teacher written a book,if so , good , if not why be critical of a book[ which was useful reading material for someone looking for info ]and apparently shows little respect for both the authors of said book. Cheers, Joe
Haha, good point. I was one of the lucky ones to be taught from day one by a shihan -- not everybody gets that. I never did read the book, so I don't have a personal opinion. The authors of that book are probably pretty wicked teachers by now.

Also, point taken about useful reading material. Sometimes it's nice to have a reference work to just be able to identify names of techniques and stuff when you are just getting into aikido. Technical details would probably go over a beginner's head anyway.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #23
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Iv'e gotten a pretty good collection of books on aikido and martial arts that have given me all kinds of useful insights but only two that listed techniques and one of those with illustrations.

Ultimate Aikido by Yamada sensei was given to me by a friend when I started. Not even the same style as what I practice but it proved extremely helpful to me in identifying the names of what we had done in class that night.

And Aikido the Peaceful martial Art by Stefan Stenudd has a really good aikido glossary in it and is also a really nice read for those just starting out. The glossary is also available on his website for free.http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/aikido-glossary.htm Most helpful in learning the right terminology.

But really the best way to learn aikido is to do aikido.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #24
Yianie
United_States

Does anyone like or dislike AKIDO3D?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #25
AiGuiAustin
United_States

I really like the idea of aikido 3D. I'm glad to see the price come down and might consider buying it soon. In the mean time however may i suggest another book? I've read all the books so far suggested on this page but have found this one to be ever more helpful. The writer has built from "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" and taken it to a farther, more comprehensive level. Just give it a try.
http://www.amazon.com/Aiki-Secrets-S...ev_itm_title_1