Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #76
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Best karate style for aikido?

Ushiro Sensei was at the Expos and did a great job of showing how aiki karate could be.

I would suggest any style of karate that teaches you to punch realistically so we can train better.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 03-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #77
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Ushiro Sensei was at the Expos and did a great job of showing how aiki karate could be.

I would suggest any style of karate that teaches you to punch realistically so we can train better.
For those who can do so, Ushiro Sensei will be in the US two times this year. There are still spaces available for his seminar at my school on May 15 & 16. For more information please go to my events page on my website.

I apologize in advance for this shameless promotional post

Marc Abrams
Old 03-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #78
WilliB
Dojo: Minato Aikikai
Japan

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
gotta admit, I was expecting to barf, but hey, that was pretty good. I'd really hate to fight that guy. I like how he applauded the student at the end when the student got something right. Not my chosen path, but dude was balanced, smooth, fast, powerfull. And some of the tai sabaki was surprisingly familiar.

Best,
Ron
I am not into the Kyokushin family of full-contact karate styles, but I must say Ashihara demonstrations look pretty cool. Especially when Yuka Kobayashi is doing them. :-)

Last edited by WilliB : 03-08-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: correction of typo
Old 03-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #79
Russ Q
Dojo: Shohei Juku Aikido Gibsons
Canada

Hey Ron,

I usually feel like throwing up too, when I see most of those kinds of vids, but this guy is impressive.

Russ
Old 03-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #80
bob_stra
Australia

Hmmm...wasn't there a style of karate that was developed by a mid-ranking dan grade aikidoka in the early 1970's in Japan? Emphasis is one avoidance ('irimi and tenkan'). What was it called...Seibukan? Tsubokan?

I believe there was also a well known aikido instructor who was a amateur boxer. Fun to watch him slip, jab and cross before throwing from that one youtube clip I saw yonks ago

There is of course Daido Juku, Yoseikan Budo etc...but those may beyond the scope of the original question

Last edited by bob_stra : 03-09-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #81
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
I believe there was also a well known aikido instructor who was a amateur boxer. Fun to watch him slip, jab and cross before throwing from that one youtube clip I saw yonks ago
Koroiwa Sensei I believe. Unfortunately, he has passed. See Ellis Amdur's excellent tribute article on this very site.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 03-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #82
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
I apologize in advance for this shameless promotional post
There is no shame in providing a quality training experience.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #83
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Bob Strahinjevich wrote: View Post
Hmmm...wasn't there a style of karate that was developed by a mid-ranking dan grade aikidoka in the early 1970's in Japan? Emphasis is one avoidance ('irimi and tenkan'). What was it called...Seibukan? Tsubokan?
Hi Bob,

Don't know about that but there is a karate school that was heavy influenced by Morihei Ueshiba in the early 1930's. The time when he was still teaching Daito-ryu aikijutsu. The founder of the school was Yasushiro Konishi and at that time he called his style Shindo Jinen-Ryu Karate-jutsu. Today, the organization he started is called Japan Karate-do Ryobu-kai.

Regards

David Y
Old 03-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #84
mah927

In my humble opinion I would say Goju Ryu. Obviously, I have to admit I am biased since that is what I have been training, until I relocated. It is amazing, as you put in the hours in Goju Ryu it seem to fuse with Aikido, especially the "Ju" part. All I can say it would be a wonderful compliment to Aikido. I am getting old, so moving away from "Go" and focusing on "Ju" and Aikido.

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life there.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 AM   #85
Chris Evans
United_States

Seido Juku Karate-do.

I feel like our Seido people might have an all-too common mindset of many in Aikido: Considerate, compliant, and earnest with strong emphasis in safety, but not enough focus on practical karate.

Last edited by Chris Evans : 03-22-2011 at 10:00 AM.

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Old 03-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #86
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

I would suggest that Shotokai would be a good choice for Aikidoka. Master Harada is a wonderful example of a karate exponent/karate teacher.
Joe.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:19 AM   #87
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Why does one seek karate training if they are training in aikido?

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 03-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #88
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
Why does one seek karate training if they are training in aikido?
To complement a serious lack of skill due to a (traditionally) flawed transmission.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:16 AM   #89
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

The in the case of the op; apparantly because he finds it rewarding enough on itīs own.

Is there some kind of rule against enjoing other activities if you train aikido?
Old 03-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #90
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
I would suggest that Shotokai would be a good choice for Aikidoka. Master Harada is a wonderful example of a karate exponent/karate teacher.
Joe.
I totally agree.

In 1963 Kenshiro Abbe Sensei invited Mitsusuke Harada Sensei to Britain. Harada Sensei was a direct student of Gichin Funakoshi Sensei....Harada Sensei was given mat space at the Hut Dojo to help him get established, I trained personally with him as there were no students in the beginning, Harada Sensei took a keen interest in Aikido, I would teach him some Aikido and he in turn would teach me Karate, he actually applied some Aikido into his Karate, developing his own style of " ShotoKai Karate "...Harada Sensei had been a bodyguard to the Emperor

Henry Ellis
British Aikido History
www.british-aikido.com
Old 04-21-2011, 02:02 AM   #91
David Yap
Malaysia

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
...Harada Sensei had been a bodyguard to the Emperor.
This is new to me

One time I watched Ueshiba Sensei's Aikido, his real result was throwing someone without touching, so I doubted it but at the same time I was surprised. When I asked Mr.Egami about this, he said what I saw was very real. So I asked Egami -- "If someone attacked me with full power and I came in at the right time with oizuki; would it possible for me to make them fall over without physically touching them?" Egami replied, that he thought it was possible and agitated me to practise and research until I could successfully achieve such a result. His words got me thinking and I remembered what in Yoshitaka's case, he did, when blackbelts attacked him. from Harada sensei's interview.

The full interview is here http://www.karatedoshotokai.com/view...ticle=6&page=1

It is interesting to know that Shigeru Egami, the late chief instructor of Shotokai Japan had also trained with Noriaki Inoue, O Sensei's nephew (Aikido's forgotten pioneer).
Old 04-21-2011, 02:25 AM   #92
David Yap
Malaysia

More, the influence of aikido in Shotokai karate:

http://www.karatedoshotokai.com/view...ticle=5&page=3
Old 04-21-2011, 05:46 AM   #93
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
David Yap wrote: View Post
This is new to me

One time I watched Ueshiba Sensei's Aikido, his real result was throwing someone without touching, so I doubted it but at the same time I was surprised. When I asked Mr.Egami about this, he said what I saw was very real. So I asked Egami -- "If someone attacked me with full power and I came in at the right time with oizuki; would it possible for me to make them fall over without physically touching them?" Egami replied, that he thought it was possible and agitated me to practise and research until I could successfully achieve such a result. His words got me thinking and I remembered what in Yoshitaka's case, he did, when blackbelts attacked him. from Harada sensei's interview.

The full interview is here http://www.karatedoshotokai.com/view...ticle=6&page=1

It is interesting to know that Shigeru Egami, the late chief instructor of Shotokai Japan had also trained with Noriaki Inoue, O Sensei's nephew (Aikido's forgotten pioneer).
David

I am not sure how to add a photo here

I have added the photo of Harada Sensei riding as a bodyguard on the Japanese Emperors car..The photo can now be seen top of page at.

Aikido Articleshttp://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/

Henry Ellis
Aikido in MMA
http://rik-ellis.blogspot.com/
Old 04-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #94
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

I also feel that goju ryu would be a good alternative to as they have grappling techniques similar to aikido.
I think that aikido has elements of all martial arts as they are all fundamentally the same...