Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-10-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States
Shomen Uchi Ikkyo (aikikai style)

Recently I was practicing shomen uchi ikkyo with a person considerably taller than me (around a 8 inches - a foot).

During the first part of the technique (catching the cut at it's apex) I was having a lot of trouble getting my hand high enough to get the wrist or forearm. Are there any people out there who have had this problem? I was considering jumping but thought it better not to.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 11-10-2004, 01:49 PM   #2
Todd Worobey

Dojo: Sowakan Dojo, Maple Ridge
Canada
Re: Shomen Uchi Ikkyo (aikikai style)

Wouldn't you want to utilize your lower center of gravity to your advantage? let Uke come to you & over extend himself to your advantage? I have noticed because of my size (5'11", 220lbs) that I must alter all of my Budo to what works for me, I may not be nimble, but my size has many advantages, as does yours. One of the blackbelts in my dojo is also a big bruiser and showed me that I must embrace my body type & adapt "my aikido" to it & vise versa.

Last edited by Todd Worobey : 11-10-2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:55 PM   #3
akiy

Hi Nathan,

Perhaps you can ask your instructor how s/he would do hanmi handachi shomenuchi ikkyo?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 11-10-2004, 01:57 PM   #4
Janet Rosen

I agree w/ Todd, that, ideally, as a small person (which I am) it makes more sense to let the attack come to me. As we know, though, many times instructors want all students doing the technique as shown. One suggestion is: for the entering form of ikkyo, where the ideal is to enter with your shomen blend rising as uke's attack is actually rising, to go to an earlier timing, where uke's arm is just starting to rise, therefore lower/closer, and start your entry and blending there as early as possible.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-10-2004, 02:54 PM   #5
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Another option might be to not try and contact the wrist or forearm of uke but to contact the upper arm with both hand(blade)s and then slide along the arm to where you want to be.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 11-10-2004, 03:13 PM   #6
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
Perhaps you can ask your instructor how s/he would do hanmi handachi shomenuchi ikkyo?
ooh I SHOULD have thought of that, since one of my instructors always goes down into hamni handachi whenever he wants to show me how a short person might solve a particular aikipuzzle!

Janet Rosen
Old 11-10-2004, 03:24 PM   #7
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
ooh I SHOULD have thought of that, since one of my instructors always goes down into hamni handachi whenever he wants to show me how a short person might solve a particular aikipuzzle!

That's what I have to do a lot.

Old 11-10-2004, 04:47 PM   #8
aikido_luver
New Zealand

he he he. I know the feeling, im a bit of a shorty and im constantly being remided of that at the dojo but to me its kind of an advantage (mind you there are some really tall or big people who do aikido)... you need to catch the arm before it really comes down (catch isnt the best word since ur not catching it) push out so that it turns the body and it actually lowers them a bit too....a little trick one of the senseis taught me... being short (or having a tall partner) has its advantages for shihonage especially (both uke and nage ways lol). But i know what you mean, sometimes being short or having a tall partner is not helpful in a technique, just change the technique if you find that. It can be really frustrating when that happens. Basically im saying is the same as Janets but mayby slightly different to how im meaning.
Anyway best of luck, if not talk to ur senseis, they are in the best position to help you.

Ayla
Old 11-10-2004, 05:05 PM   #9
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Craig Hocker wrote:
That's what I have to do a lot.
Next time we are at a seminar together, we shall have to partner for shihonage http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/newrep...reply&p=86357#
Smilie

Janet Rosen
Old 11-10-2004, 05:05 PM   #10
Janet Rosen

how the hell do you get that smilie thing into a message?!

Janet Rosen
Old 11-10-2004, 05:11 PM   #11
ChristianBoddum

Dojo: Aarhus AiKiKai

Try the post reply button !
Old 11-10-2004, 06:10 PM   #12
Aristeia
New Zealand

The elbow hand is the important one, as long as you can reach the elbow your fine. use your other tegatana to get as high up the arm as is comfortable, even if it's just above the elbow. Once you start cutting the elbow over and their body adjusts you'll be able to slide down to the wrist.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 11-11-2004, 02:49 AM   #13
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Michael beat me to it but I also agree with Jun.

Being 6ft 2in I don`t usually have this particular problem (although it manifests problems elsewhere e.g koshinage). I also use hanmi handachi to demonstrate to help out you shorties .

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 11-11-2004, 04:48 AM   #14
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote:
Once you start cutting the elbow over and their body adjusts you'll be able to slide down to the wrist.
This is what I meant, Michael said it more clearly though.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 11-11-2004, 07:19 AM   #15
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

a) one of the most important functions of hanmi handachi is to give people experience dealing with an attacker who is taller than they are

b) never reach up to the attacker as you will take yourself off of your own base; your arms raise only as far as is comfortable for you which is usually about the forehead

c) from your description of the technique you ar almost certainly putting too much effort into the elbow; don't grab the elbow until the very end of the technique. The function of the elbow hand is to rest your body weight on top of the partner. Instead use the other hand to lead the partner as if you were doing a draw and cut with a sword; try cuttin the partner down to the ground without touching the elbow at all and you'll get the right feel for the lead hand. The elbow hand merely follows and you shouldn't feel much pressure there at all.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com