Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-02-2004, 04:07 PM   #1
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States
Sumiotoshi

I've heard this mentioned, but don't believe I've ever been formally taught it. I realize it's risky to try to learn techniques from computer screens, but perhaps someone could give me a link or technical description of what this throw is like?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2004, 04:27 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Sumiotoshi

Howdy, almost neighbor!
I don't have a link handy, but it is actually one of the easier things to describe.
From a basic grab: say, the attacking partner's right hand grabs the other's left wrist. The entry is to the attacking side: left foot slides in and to the left, with grabbed arm maintaining extension; free right hand stays at center ready to come into play so that when the right foot steps in to the attacker's left side, the right hand is at the attacker's elbow.
Basically, the feet do like ice skating to the attacking side, and the balance is taken laterally and back. Many variations possible.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-02-2004, 06:16 PM   #3
Paul Sanderson-Cimino
Dojo: Yoshokai; looking into judo
United_States

Ahhh. Thank you!
Old 07-02-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Hey folks,

Sumi otoshi is one of those techs that I love to experiment on.

Paul, another option (animated) can be found here - http://www.ttac.0catch.com/uki.htm .

On a related note, I've heard that there are technical debates as to which may be more effective - right foot or left foot being forward when executing the throw. Any views anyone?

Gambatte.

LC

Last edited by L. Camejo : 07-02-2004 at 07:18 PM.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 07-02-2004, 07:16 PM   #5
nothingness
United_States

Here is the link to a Judo's version. In reality, I think this technique is one of the hardest ones to be executed from grappling position. This technique is best executed to counter a strike since some of the aspect of the techniques is an element of surprise. Best of lucks!

http://judoclub.ca/mpegs/sumi.wmv
Old 07-03-2004, 01:30 PM   #6
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
Many variations possible.
Curious about the terminology. The version described here is the usual one, I think. But the folks I train with consider SUMI OTOSHI to enter from UKE's back; others might call it a KOKYU NAGE/HIJI NAGE, although it works at driving into the shoulder as well as the elbow.

How many others regard this as SUMI OTOSHI?

Thanks.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 07-03-2004, 07:35 PM   #7
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

We call the elbow driven version Sumi otoshi. I can see the drive towards the back corner in the first clip as one also tho. I like the second clip (the judo one) but would not have clicked to it being a corner drop without it being named that by Laurent.
Sweet throw from a close-up grip. My thought of sumi otoshi is with extension into the dead spot behind uke. Like they said many variants.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 07-03-2004, 08:34 PM   #8
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos

Anytime the elbow is used we call it hijiotoshi. If we are just leading the attack and it ends in use of shomitzu (shikaku) then we call it sumiotoshi.

Just our style.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 07-03-2004, 09:38 PM   #9
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Michael Ellefson wrote:
Anytime the elbow is used we call it hijiotoshi. If we are just leading the attack and it ends in use of shomitzu (shikaku) then we call it sumiotoshi.

Just our style.
"shomitzu " means the same as SHIKAKU? Haven't come across this term before.

Thanks.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 07-04-2004, 03:06 AM   #10
nothingness
United_States

I just think that learning Judo movements help us understand body mechanic better, which helps us understands the mechanic of Aikido, too. Once we understand the general principle of a specific throw, the grips, etc. are just details and are a subject of variations.

Remember that 10 Aikidokas will have 10 Aikidos.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:58 PM   #11
otto
Dojo: Independent
Venezuela

Hummmm... about the first technique in Larry's link , I've always been told this is "Tempi , Tenmi Nage" , anybody else? is this term correct?..

About the sumi otoshi , we refer to this as Kokyu Nage too , but plenty of waza is ofter called that , right?

Last edited by otto : 07-04-2004 at 02:00 PM.

"Perfection is a Process"
Old 07-04-2004, 02:20 PM   #12
akiy

Quote:
Ottoniel Ojeda wrote:
Hummmm... about the first technique in Larry's link , I've always been told this is "Tempi , Tenmi Nage" , anybody else? is this term correct?..
Probably "tenbin nage" with "tenbin" referring to a balance scale:

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 07-04-2004, 02:28 PM   #13
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos

Don,
Shomitzu is referred to as the "first big secret" in budo. If you move someone in the direction that both their heels are pointed, they will fall. So, it's probably a bit broader than shikaku.

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 07-04-2004, 03:07 PM   #14
otto
Venezuela

Thanks for clearing that up Jun , i had my doubts about the correct spelling on that one , have you heard the term before when referring to that technique?.

Mike , thats a pretty interesting term/concept...any other "budo secret" you may want to share ?

Old 07-04-2004, 04:11 PM   #15
L. Camejo

Canada

Quote:
Michael Ellefson wrote:
Don,
Shomitzu is referred to as the "first big secret" in budo. If you move someone in the direction that both their heels are pointed, they will fall. So, it's probably a bit broader than shikaku.
Hi folks,

From my learning in Shodokan we call this the "weak line concept", not sure what the Japanese is for it. It's part of understanding kuzushi. Basically we take any stance, draw a line to connect the heels and a perpendicular of that line represents the weakest line of any stance or attack. It is this line that we exploit to break balance or throw.

Sumi otoshi is based almost entirely on this concept as the idea is to drop Uke's weight onto the back corner (one part of the "weak line", the other being the opposite front corner).

The other concepts being applied in sumi otoshi are I Do Ryoku (power of body movement), else it becomes very muscle oriented and difficult to do; and To Itsu Ryoku (focus of power) to place Uke's weight exactly where Tori needs to disrupt balance and throw, between his heels.

On another note, the 3rd technique on the link I gave (Hiki Otoshi) follows a similar principle to Sumi Otoshi, but breaks balance to the opposite side of the weak line, the front inner corner, and Tori moves backward instead of forwards.

Just my 2 cents.
LC

Last edited by L. Camejo : 07-04-2004 at 04:19 PM.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
Old 07-04-2004, 05:34 PM   #16
otto
Venezuela

Mike and Larry..

Something like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weak lines jpg.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	192  

Old 07-04-2004, 07:34 PM   #17
L. Camejo

Canada
Thumbs down Re: Sumiotoshi

Quote:
Ottoniel Ojeda wrote:
Mike and Larry..

Something like this?
Almost Otto,

A bit more like this though, the arrow should be perpendicularly dissecting the strong line of the attacker's stance. Force is also applied effectively in both directions along the weak line as a push/pull, irimi or tenkan to cause kuzushi and then technique.

LC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weak lines2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	193  

Last edited by L. Camejo : 07-04-2004 at 07:36 PM.

Old 07-05-2004, 01:21 AM   #18
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Ottoniel Ojeda wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up Jun , i had my doubts about the correct spelling on that one , have you heard the term before when referring to that technique?.
When I first started Aikido, we called this Mae Otoshi. Later when we moved associations, the new one called it Tenbin Nage. After I moved to Japan, it went back to Mae Otoshi, I asked my sensei there about tenbin, he said that either term was OK.

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 07-05-2004, 10:28 AM   #19
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

Like the diagram.

I think this is the best technique (along with ikkyo on the other side) for showing his. Although as a practical technique it doesn't work as uke will naturally move their feet and turn to face nage. Of course you can make atemi or whatever to conter this and it satrts to look more like tenchi-nage. IMHO and all that.

Mark
x