Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Chris Evans
United_States
Question MMA training: disciplines and hours per week

I assume most decent MMA amateur players are physically fit and already have a "base" in at least one martial art or discipline.

I wonder how many disciplines [kickboxing (International or muay Thai), BJJ, etc.] MMA competitors train in and how frequently?

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Old 09-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: MMA training: disciplines and hours per week

You'd have to define "competitor". A professional will train alot more than an amateur. It depends.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Chris Evans
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
You'd have to define "competitor". A professional will train alot more than an amateur. It depends.
a person with a full-time job, outside of a gym/dojo, that competes in UFC or other MMA events, for fun.

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Old 09-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Well UFC is tough to get into, and there is an long vetting process, hence when you say UFC, youtalking a fulltime job on par with other professional athletes. When u say "for fun"....that is another issue. Guys that do it for fun may train to peak right before an event, and then not train much at all. I'd say an amateur doing it for fun probably puts in 10 to 15 hours per week including running, lifting, mat work etc, all while going to work.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
cloudshapes
Dojo: Oak Park

....you asked about hours of MMA training. Because I prioritize Aikido in my schedule, I have reduced my MMA training down to 1 or 2 hours a week. (I practice MMA for conditioning only not competitively) However, our MMA center does have a Competition Team and the comp. team fighters train with the rest of us in the advance class, in addition to their comp. team only practices. Our MMA center is grounded/based in Jeet Kune Do, Bruce Lee's martial art. The key to Jeet Kune Do, is that Bruce Lee emphasized formlessness. He emphasized using various techniques and doing what was necessary in battle. In his words, "Be water." Striking Thoughts is a book based on Bruce Lee's thoughts...I recommend it if you are interested in researching some of the founding thoughts of MMA. Our MMA training consists of conditioning and technique. The MMA techniques in our MMA Center range from Jeet Kune Do, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling, Western Boxing and our core striking art of Muay Thai Kick Boxing. Conditioning ranges from sit ups, flipping tractor tires, planks, push ups, working the bags, running, pulling fire hose etc. Comp. team fighters train 3+ hours a week, 5+ days a week. Keep in mind that some folks join the comp. team simply to train with the competitive fighters and get the highest level of MMA training...while others on the comp. team actually train in preparation for an official fight. Most competitive fighters train for a long time before ever entering the cage for an official fight. The Captain of our competition team and other trainers know who is ready for an official fight and when. They use the same insight in moving folks from beginning to advance MMA classes. Yes, most of us at our MMA Center (including the comp. team fighters) do have a back ground in other martial arts and yes, there is a general level of fitness in our classes...however, the comp. team fighters that actually enter the cage have the ultimate level of physical fitness...Most of the Comp. Team Fighters in our MMA Center do seem to work full time also. Hope this helps. Peace and Light, Marium