Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-12-2000, 08:59 AM   #26
SmilingNage
United_States
Quote:
akiy wrote:
Quote:
rch wrote:
OK, from the way I was reading things from the start of this thread, it sounded like something different. I got the impression that people were being treated poorly, simply because they weren't a certain rank.
Oh, this happens, of course. I think I wrote somewhere that when I've attended seminars without a hakama and wearing a white belt, quite a lot of people (mostly mudansha) seemingly spend a lot less care during training towards me (ie not focusing on me while they're uke, ignoring the fact that I bowed to them at the beginning of a technique). I can't say it's the norm, but it happens.

-- Jun
i think this happens alot no matter where u go. many seniors just wanna practise at a certain level and dont wanna deal with the newbies. btw i dont support this view. often i force myself upon them and seek them out when a senior ignores. then i let him feel how a "newbies throws" or reverses their technique. all while just simply smiling at them
Old 10-12-2000, 09:46 AM   #27
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I think it is difficult when you only have a short training session with a new group and you are wearing a white belt. However Aikido is great because the contact is so intimate that you soon learn how good someone is when you train with them. You just have to make sure you train with the higher grades to get recognised (a bit of a philosophical quandry in there somewhere).

Hakamas are useful on courses, as it allows you to tell instantly who the better Aikidokas should be and try and grab them. However there is nothing worse than a crap dan grade, which tends to lower your opinion of the whole club.
Old 10-12-2000, 11:43 AM   #28
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
hakama's at my dojo

Hakama wearing varies from dojo to dojo, so one really needs to judge what hakama wearing means within the context of their own dojo.

In my dojo, men must wait till they reach shodan to wear the hakama and the women may choose to wear the hakama after passing their 5th kyu test.

I'm a hakama wearing 5th kyu female. I really don't think that my wearing a hakama makes me better than the male 5th kyus. Please do not think that just because I have a hakama on means I'm good. I just means I passed my 5th kyu test.

Anne Marie

Old 10-19-2000, 06:46 PM   #29
SmilingNage
United_States
Smile

actually my first experiences with owning a hakama are quite funny. after testing i received the right to wear one in my dojo. well my iwata hakama hadnt come in yet and i borrowed a friends old one. well my friend as a few inches taller than i am. so the next day before practice was to begin, my friend and i as we usually had a pre-practice an hr before class. well i let him run thru a series of throws and what not. my biggest fear of course was to fall or trip in the hakama which thankfully didnt happen. but something worse for my poor friend. it was my turn to be nage, and it seemed all that came to mind were iriminage throws. well in came the attack and everything went nicely until i had to step in and throw my foot got stuck in the folds of the hakama and i sent uke crashing to ground with me on top of him. well i said i was sorry and received the dirty look for pile driving him into the mat. so again he attacks and again we fall into the mat as my foot lodges in the folds. crash we go. i aplogize and he just gives me another dirty look. well the next attack comes in and to my horror my foot again got caught up in the hakama. my friend got up and said " dude whats a matter with u." and got slowly off the mat. it was funny then and now we laugh about it more so.
but worse then tripping in your hakama is learning how to fold that devilish pile of cloth. i was shown once and that was it. had to learn by watching because no one would help. it took me forever to learn how to fold it. always that last one off the mat.