Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Allen Beebe
United_States
I had a dream!

I had a dream . . .

I had a dream today. Okay, I was sick and it was a fever dream, but it was cool none the less so I'd like to share it.

It was a rather large Aikido seminar. I was dressed all wrong, blue gi and blue hakama, with a kaku obi (I like that best!) and Howie was teaching (okay Daito Ryu . . . but it is all the same to me, okay?). I had forgotten my bokken, and Howie called for a shinken (What the h*ll was Howie calling for a shniken for anyway? He doesn't claim to do ken????) My mekugi had fallen out and my Ken was rendered inoperable. I was collecting the pieces in a plastic bag, YES, a plastic bag. Everything was for **** and I was ready to pack it in. I was wrapping up my stuff and some Japnaese guy walked by, he looked like somebody I knew from the side but that was just too improbable, after all it has been over 20 years. Then he turned, I looked and pointed in disbelief. It was Nakajima, and he hadn't changed a bit. He looked at me and I said in Japanese, "Its been a long time!" He looked at me and said (in English), I've been working on getting back your way . . we bowed to each other and I had that strange feeling of forcing 20+ years of emotion into a single bow. And we talked about Aikido. I looked around the dojo at some pretty weird (dream like stuff) and had to say (In Japanese) I think we we may be entering the final era of Aikido! Then his daughter appeared said, "Papa you said you promised you'd come!" She was pregnant, and I realized this was his daughter of 20+ years (actually I think he has a son in reality . . . but it's a dream!) and he had to go, but we would get together again . . . and I awoke in a sweat.

I know, I know, it was just a dream, but it was a GOOD dream! I can't express just how happy I was to see Nakajima after such a long time. And we were both Aikido nuts! Both had changed, but both remained the same. I know I said that it seemed we were entering the final era of Aikido, but my dream felt hopeful like the dawning of a new age.

Well, it was a dream, but as I said, it was a GOOD dream. Let's hear it for the dreamers of the world! I have the sneaking suspicion that they keep the "world" turning!!!

I for one, as testified by my dream, am truly grateful to those that were a bit crazy and tried to pass on their dream to me.

Thanks Nakajima!

Thanks fellow dreamers!!

(Thanks Jun for the venue in which to share )

~ Allen Beebe
Old 09-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Rabih Shanshiry

United_States
Re: I had a dream!

Pretty cool Allen. The power of dreams is amazing, isn't it?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
genin
United_States

I'm not a dreamologist, but I do recognize some common themes in your dream. Like at the beginning when your attire was all wrong and your sword was broken. I've had many dreams like that where things just weren't right and couldn't be fixed no matter what I did. I don't know what the purpose of that sense of inadequacy is, but I'm sure it's based on the brain's psychological processes.

It's nice that you used the dream world to reunite with someone you knew in reality. I have dreams so real and vivid about people I know, that I actually write it off as a genuine memory, as though it really happened. And why not? A dream is just a memory of a series of events, just like any other memories.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
Rabih Shanshiry wrote: View Post
Pretty cool Allen. The power of dreams is amazing, isn't it?
Yes it is. I know it sounds weird, but I've actually had Shirata sensei "visit" in my dreams a few times and teach me. Usually it is a pretty arduous affair with him telling me, "No, go back. Do it again." Usually this goes on over and over again until I think my head will explode, one of those dreams you can't escape from. Finally, when he thinks I, "might understand now" the dream will end. The cool part, which is why I don't ignore, and actually look forward to, this kind of dream, is when I try what I was "taught" via the dream in the dojo, it invariably works, and works all over the place.

Thanks Rabih,
Allen

~ Allen Beebe
Old 09-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
Roger Flatley wrote: View Post
I'm not a dreamologist, but I do recognize some common themes in your dream. Like at the beginning when your attire was all wrong and your sword was broken. I've had many dreams like that where things just weren't right and couldn't be fixed no matter what I did. I don't know what the purpose of that sense of inadequacy is, but I'm sure it's based on the brain's psychological processes.

It's nice that you used the dream world to reunite with someone you knew in reality. I have dreams so real and vivid about people I know, that I actually write it off as a genuine memory, as though it really happened. And why not? A dream is just a memory of a series of events, just like any other memories.
Thank you for the comments Roger. What you said about "the brain's psychological processes" certainly rings true in my experience. I am a school teacher and almost always have some kind of school anxiety dream at the end of summer/beginning of school year. I've talked to many other teachers and just about every one I've spoken with knows exactly what I''m talking about and experience the same phenomenon themselves.

Thanks again,
Allen

~ Allen Beebe
Old 09-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

I dream about aikido a lot. I tend to dream the most right before testing, during and after seminars and after an intense night of training. To me it is just more practice. And sometimes I'll be having a more usual dream and some aikido will happen in the middle of it

Just yesterday morning I woke up from an aikido dream and the last thing I remember of it was me saying, "I really like her, she is fun to bounce around." Not sure who "her" was.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
SeiserL

United_States

I can hear Freud giggling!!!

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Just yesterday morning I woke up from an aikido dream and the last thing I remember of it was me saying, "I really like her, she is fun to bounce around." Not sure who "her" was.
Coincidentally I had a dream last night about a kid (okay, young woman -- I guess I'm not a teenager any more myself) who used to assist me in my advanced kids class. She was in her early 20's. Lovely lady from Thailand, very smart, very quiet, very talented. She had become good enough at her ukemi that I could call her up without telling her a thing, have her attack, then move in to even advanced throws and she'd manage the ukemi. But I always knew when I surprised her -- she'd squeak when she took the fall. It was some sort of involuntary noise she'd make as she bounced through the ukemi.

Fortunately for her (and unfortunately for me) she managed to get in to a really prestigious art school out east. So she's no longer with us. But last night I had a dream. I was demonstrating some techniques and every time I'd throw someone they'd sound just like a dog squeak toy was being squeezed. I woke up and there was one of my dogs happily staring at me with his favorite squeak toy in his mouth.

Just kinda interesting... Dreams and all that.

For those of you with Netflix streaming accounts, there is a pretty good Nova documentary on Dreams on the streaming. Not too long and geared towards general audiences. Good stuff. Ah, heck, let me look it up... Hold on...

Okay, here's the exact title: What Are Dreams?: Nova

Old 09-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Oh, and another dream I had recently which I thought was just hilarious...

I had watched some tense, action/hostage drama movie as I cleaned up my workshop late that night. So I'm tired and I hit the sack.

Now the part I remember of the dream was that I was there with a bunch of people being held hostage. The one bad guy (who had a sort of dinosaur head -- I have no idea what that meant) was holding a tiny hand gun. The rest of us were standing there wondering what to do. Half of us were holding pump shotguns behind our backs (???). So as we discussed what to do some old Japanese fella stepped forward, shot the bad guy dead, shrugged and walked off leaving us standing there.