Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-01-2002, 08:20 AM   #26
SeiserL

United_States
IMHO, you must learn to enjoy the journey (the training) because there really is not destination. It just keeps evolving, and so do I (if I let myself enter and blend with it).

People tend to motivate "towards" a goal, or "away" from a punishment. What will you lose if you don't continue? What will you gain if you do? What is important to you in life? Does Aikido fall within that. How do you feel about yourself when you train? How do you feel about yourself when you don't? What are you avoiding by not training that you have been avoiding perhaps your whole life?

Don't ask questions unless you really want the answers. OTOH, drop the question and just show up and train.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-01-2002, 08:41 AM   #27
mike lee
abreviations

I have a lot of questions.

What happened to jaxonbrown in this thread?

What is IMHO, OTOH, MFT, JKD, AND KWATZ?
Old 07-01-2002, 10:36 AM   #28
jaxonbrown
wow. lots of replies over the weekend. i usually don't browse the net on saturday and sunday. i appreciate everyone's responses here.
Other things that I seem to think about (that make me think about discontinuing training) are the techniques that i'm learning now aren't really that practical. I know my ikkyos and nikkyos and sankyos very much but some of the elaborate moves like a three-stage kaitenage just don't seem worth the frustration of learning. I'd think a mugger would fall to his knees or stumble while you were trying to lead him around in your tenkan. Muggers do not know ukemi. I think that I would know what to do when grabbed a few different ways or punched at or sliced at: dodge - grab - ikkyo (depending on the situation). I believe that techniques must be simple and devastating and some of the more 'flowery' tech I'm learing now is good for exercise but not practical at all.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:52 AM   #29
SeiserL

United_States
Re: abreviations

Quote:
Originally posted by mike lee
What is IMHO, OTOH, MFT, JKD, AND KWATZ?
IMHO: In my humble opinion.

OTOH: On the other hand

MFT: Mariage and family psychotherapist

JKD: Jeet Kune Do (Way of the intercepting fist, Bruce Lee)

KWATZ: A loud shout that startles you to awareness in the here and now and out of your head philosophizing.

Until again,

Lynn

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 07-01-2002, 01:20 PM   #30
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Ah! The Real Reasons

Quote:
Originally posted by jaxonbrown
wow. lots of replies over the weekend. i usually don't browse the net on saturday and sunday. i appreciate everyone's responses here.
Other things that I seem to think about (that make me think about discontinuing training) are the techniques that i'm learning now aren't really that practical. I know my ikkyos and nikkyos and sankyos very much but some of the elaborate moves like a three-stage kaitenage just don't seem worth the frustration of learning. I'd think a mugger would fall to his knees or stumble while you were trying to lead him around in your tenkan. Muggers do not know ukemi. I think that I would know what to do when grabbed a few different ways or punched at or sliced at: dodge - grab - ikkyo (depending on the situation). I believe that techniques must be simple and devastating and some of the more 'flowery' tech I'm learing now is good for exercise but not practical at all.
Ok, now we have something to work with. You are mostly interested in practical martial arts. So either a) Aikido might be for you but you are training with a teacher who does not focus on this aspect of the art and can't explain to you how techniques like kaitenage are done in a martial context or b) Aikido simply isn't for you and you should be doing some practical self defense style rather than a traditional martial art.

If you are only interested in applied technique I would say that you are not in the right art. If you can't take joy in the movement for its own sake, if investigating the fine details of connection between two people isn't inherently interesting to you, then Aikido isn't for you. I have had students leave Aikido and go off to kick boxing schools where everything was full contact, there was no philosophy, and everything seemed quite practical. Visiting the local kick boxing school I found that the atmosphere of such a place is quite different from the Aikido dojos I encountered. I would say that most people would not find both to their liking.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 07-01-2002, 01:58 PM   #31
jaxonbrown
I originally wanted to learn raw jiu-jitsu but there were no schools nearby (Im in Memphis, TN). There was one guy who taught it but other dojo owners told me he was fake. The closest thing to it was Aikido. I have enjoyed it so far but it's getting kinda old.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!