Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-30-2004, 05:03 AM   #1
ermpson
Dojo: Pärnu Singitai Aikido
Estonia
Research on Japanese swords

Hi!
I had to make a new thread because I was advised not to write just about wooden sword(bokken), because it is very difficult to outsiders.
So I will write about japanese sword. I have not yet started full net search - I haven't had time yet. I went to capital city Tallinn to get some books though. There is almost nothing in estonian(just 1 article) and very little in english(at least not in Estonia). I don't know - maybe I just need to know the right person. but anyway, I found one very helpful book: "The Connpisseur's book of japanese swords" by Kokan Nagayama.
IF YOU HAVE HELPFUL MATERIALS, PLEASE CONTACT ME (mufik003@hotmail.com) or paste links etc here. thank you very much!
Old 11-01-2004, 07:59 AM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Research on Japanese swords

Go to Bugei sword forum. Very informative.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-01-2004, 08:22 AM   #3
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Oh my. If they think the bokuto/bokken is complex, wait till you get your teeth into the sword.

I'd advise you to look hard at what you intend to convey with your paper and focus on one specific aspect of the sword for your discussion ...

Chuck

Old 11-14-2004, 01:13 PM   #4
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States

Anybody have an opinion on whose katana is best? Cold Steel, Paul Chen, etc? Most of the reviews I have read talk more about the handle and fittings than cutting ability.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:05 PM   #5
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

"The Connoisseur's Book of Japanese Swords" is a well respected work. I would search for contact information on Michael Bell and Thomas McGuane III. Michael Bell worked in a sword refurbishing shop for fifteen+ years (in Japan) and is now considered the foremost western traditional swordsmith (not just by me). Thomas McGuane III is a direct student of Yoshihara sensei (one of the ten national treasure swordsmiths) and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Japanese blades.
On the issue of Cold Steel, Paul Chen, Bugei, etc.:
The sword retailers you mentioned, as well as Bugei, are sword manufacturers, not swordsmiths. Their weapons are not forged to shape, the steel is not hand made, and the finish work is done in a factory environment. That does not make the swords less valuable training tools, and does not mean that they do not cut, but always be sure to check that a sword has a real, almost holographic looking hamon, is not stainless steel of any kind, and has a full tang before you ever lay your money down. These are VERY important safety considerations and go a long way toward determining if what you are looking at is a katana, an iaito, or a novelty item. To the best of my knowledge, the only place one can purchase sword made to exhibit all of the traits you would expect from a genuine katana is the private shop of a well trained and practiced smith. In addition, remember that authentic swordsmiths almost always sell their blades in shirosaya form rather than with all the regular fittings. In Japan, each element that went into a katana's fabrication, habaki, tsuba, tsuka, saya, blade, other fittings, and the final construction, were each a separate art, and you would never ever find a swordsmith who did all of those arts and sold finished weapons. Indeed different styles of fittings came in and out of fashion regularly before the restoration, and trendy warriors would often regularly change the fittings on centuries old family blades. Wealthy warriors would own many blades all stored as shirosaya because blades were timeless, fittings were not. The blade is the true core of the weapon, and the only part which is irreplaceable. To a bladesmith, making and selling a complete weapon is like creating an unbelievable fresco in tribute to all that is glorious about humanity, then having everyone in it wearing bell-bottoms.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:19 PM   #6
Bill Danosky

United_States

Thanks, but I don't know when I'd have the $$$s to buy a "real" katana. I should've put a $1,000-and-under qualifier on it. It looks like people are making a distinction between a using sword and a museum piece. I'm thinking whichever ones the tameshigiri practitioners are using has to be pretty good.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:41 PM   #7
bkedelen

United_States

Obata sensei and his shinkendo folks often use hand made swords for their cut testing. He even mentions a reputable stateside smith in his book "Shinkendo" (the smith's name escapes me). They probably cost more than $1,000.00, however. Not only will a "museum piece" cut much better than a factory blade, it will last much longer (and already has). Nevertheless, selecting a blade is always a trade-off. You can spend literally any amount of money on a real weapon. There is no need for the average practitioner to get an ancient sword, but there are very real advantages to getting a sword hand made from a high carbon steel, forged to shape, differentially tempered with an active hamon, well proportioned (almost half as thick as it is wide), with a full tang, and beveled appropriately (katana are NOT sharp, they have a chopping edge similar to that of a wood splitting maul). These elements can be had for a reasonable price with some research and patience, and will have an clear effect on the weapon's lasting value, cutting ability, fortitude, and authenticity. If you are going to practice a traditional and sacred art, why do it with something pooped out of a CNC machine?
Old 11-14-2004, 04:30 PM   #8
Bill Danosky

United_States

How do you like a Cold Steel Chisa Katana, if I had to stay in that price range? I also like the P.C. Orchid Katana, which is apparently made of powdered steel, machine forged and folded, differentially tempered, etc. but I thought I should get some expert opinions before I made a decision.

I'd love to have an ancient one, and I liked what you said about it already having lasted. But I don't have the money or expertise to get the right one for the right price yet. Plus I know how guilty I'd feel if I somehow damaged it.

Opinions??
Old 11-14-2004, 04:41 PM   #9
bkedelen

United_States

For a line on a good chopper, ask Alvarez sensei. He has been known to teach tameshigiri at Boulder Aikikai's summercamp in the rockies. He probably has experience with a full range of weapons in his own and his students hands.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:48 PM   #10
Bill Danosky

United_States

I'll try to find out and post what he says.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:56 PM   #11
Bill Danosky

United_States

Sensei Alvarez has advised us (very wisely) that one should seek individual, professional advice when selecting a katana for martial arts. His opinion is that serious danger abounds when novices are swinging a yard of razor-sharpness around, especially when chopping things. Although he did mention liking Paul Chen and Last Legend katanas in the $600 to $1,000 range, he stated that one should take some good training and have their instructor recommend the specific length, weight and balance, then buy accordingly.

Thanks again, Sensei! That was great advice!
Old 12-19-2004, 09:43 PM   #12
Bill Danosky

United_States

But when you do decide, here's a great website I found: http://www.swordstore.com/cgi-bin/ht...99159610072456

Last edited by Bill Danosky : 12-19-2004 at 09:45 PM. Reason: fixed link