Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > "Off-The-Mat"

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-19-2017, 04:56 AM   #1
Ellis Amdur

The Coordinator: A New Book from Ellis Amdur

I'm very proud to announce the release of my latest book: The Coordinator: Managing High-Risk High-Consequence Social Interactions in an Unfamiliar Environment http://edgeworkbooks.com/the-coordinator/

My contribution is, essentially, an application of gokui from classical Japanese martial traditions, applied to situations where misjudgment or improper communication tactics could result in alienation from potential adversaries or even violence. Some people might assert that the koryu, the classical martial traditions of Japan have little relevance to modern times, other than preserving archaic knowledge and activities. I'm really glad to establish, in this collaboration with Robert Hubal, that principals from one some people regard as living antiques are directly relevant to the needs of the modern world.

DETAILS:
This book embodies the core principles that imbue all my work in crisis intervention. I have been fortunate to engage in a true collaboration with Robert Hubal, a cognitive scientist, who works on the leading edge of the study of communication in high-risk, high-consequence situations. We met through our participation in a project funded by DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency), entitled "The Good Stranger Project." I was brought in as a kind of ‘outlier subject-matter expert' (something for which DARPA is renowned, enabling them to include ‘outside the box' ideas in their endeavors). What I offered was a combination of several decades front-line work in crisis intervention informed by core principles derived from classical Japanese combative arts. Within these archaic traditions lie profound teachings on applied psychology within dangerous situations—how do you influence someone who is either actively trying to kill you, bears that intention, or at minimum, regards you with hate, fear or mistrust?

Together, Robert and I have created a unique work. The book is geared for trainers in very specific roles, but the content goes far beyond that. It is written in plain language and accessible imagery, and will be valuable to anyone: from warfighters in another people's land or police officers in a tough neighborhood to those working in emergency medicine, social services, businesses or schools.
  • Ways of communicating that both research and experience have shown are most reliable in establishing respect and rapport, while maintaining tactical strength with others, even those from very different cultures or environments.
  • Core elements and concepts that are a necessity in any potentially adversarial environment.
  • Maintaining an effective stance and self-control throughout the interaction, no matter how difficult it is.
  • Key techniques for ensuring that the dialog goes smoothly, and ways to recover when it goes sideways.
  • The Coordinator maintains a focus on tactics, doing everything possible to enhance the safety of all people involved in the encounter. Simultaneously, the Coordinator strives to achieve a level of trust, engaging others with professionalism and respect. The Coordinator crafts the communication to form a working relationship to share in achieving the aims of the mission.
  • This book is dedicated, in particular, to those at all stages and levels in law enforcement and the military who are, as current trends continue, going to be placed into more and more situations where their Coordinator skills will be absolutely critical to the other person's survival—and their own.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
gezznz
Dojo: Kyu Shin Do Aikido/Auckland
New Zealand
Re: The Coordinator: A New Book from Ellis Amdur

Important work that I am sure will benefit from your book. Increasingly, "difficult" civil situations involve people who have been abused, and who are psychologically upset. In New Zealand, where there is an armed offender stand-off, efforts are made to establish communication and rapport, in respectful ways. Quite often, "mates" and relatives are brought in to entice the person to surrender. In police phone communication that was publicly released a few years ago, the officer was saying things like, "bro, we want you to be safe. Your family wants you back. Come out, bro, and we will make sure you are safe." The offender surrendered and the officer was hailed as a hero. The main thing is he gave the armed offender respect, and he responded.

Best regards,
Gerald
---
www.mindbodyaikido.com
Old 06-24-2019, 10:07 PM   #3
Ellis Amdur

Re: The Coordinator: A New Book from Ellis Amdur

Gerald - thank you very much. I will be releasing a second, revised edition of this book later this year. Essentially, Robert Hubal and I have rewritten much of it to make it more succinct and have edited the "gokui' section (which had five modes of interaction, based on the 'gogyo' five elements theory of Chinese Taoism to a more basic fire/water mode. Our critical readers have found this more workable. Also, we've written a second book, The Accord Agent, which is geared to the business environment, using the same principles. Both of these books will be out in the late fall.
Ellis Amdur