Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #26
"angry_father"
IP Hash: c3649da9
Anonymous User
Re: What would you do? (Older male teacher with young female student)

apologies for late response mr Hackett: I doubt there was anything ilegal when the person was under the legal age.

Mr Baba: Ok, you would call me a coward. Or you would call the first police officer you found, what is that you would have done? Say a 17 year old mooning over a mid 40s aikido yudansha in your class?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #27
kewms

17 year olds can legally consent in many states.

I agree that it's inappropriate for an instructor to get involved with a student, but a 40 year old dating a 17 year old is not necessarily a law enforcement matter.

Katherine
Old 03-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #28
Basia Halliop
Canada

The law depends on age but also on whether the older person is in a position of authority or trust.

But it's true, if you're disappointed no one else did 'something' (talk with her parents, discuss with police or other authorities and ask them for advice), the exact same question applies to you as to any other adult there. If there was something potentially harmful happening to a child every adult who suspected it but didn't do something - which of course includes you as much as anyone else - is jointly responsible.

Diffusion of responsibility is often a culprit when people need help and no one helps them despite multiple people seeing -- everyone assumes it's someone else's responsibility to 'do something'.

OTOH, if the young woman was an adult unless the relationship was abusive it's not really anyone else's business. I might find a 30 year age difference very off-putting but so what? It's her life, not mine or yours. We're all free to live our own lives as we choose.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #29
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
17 year olds can legally consent in many states.

I agree that it's inappropriate for an instructor to get involved with a student, but a 40 year old dating a 17 year old is not necessarily a law enforcement matter.

Katherine
Yeah, there are multiple issues intertwined here.

One is about sexual abuse of a minor.

The other is about age differences.

Sexual abuse of a minor is inexcusable and adults need to be proactive to protect kids. No excuses here. If that's the case then NagaBaba's rather bombastic post has a foundation.

Age differences, well, that's another "can of worms" as they say. I remember having dinner years ago with a friend who was upset about the whole "Monica Lewinsky/Bill Clinton" affair. As we enjoyed our pasta I came to realize the core of her anger came from seeing Clinton as, in her words, "abusing that poor girl through his power". Which I found unfair to Ms. Lewinsky. I agree that some men use their position/wealth/power as means of attracting women. But... An *adult* women also has free will, also has a brain, and also is allowed to live her life as she see's fit. OF COURSE, if the person in a position of authority/power and is using that authority to actually coerce, that is one thing and is clearly wrong. But if the woman is attracted to the guy because of that authority or perceived power, well, that's her thing. I may end up thinking less of both parties, but they're also both adults. Maybe the older one is taking advantage of their position while the younger one is shallowly attracted to the perceived (or real) power. The issue her is whether both parties are willing participants. In some cases they are (and I've read nothing that indicates that the Lewinsky/Clinton thing was anything other than a young woman willingly having a "relationship" with a powerful man). We may find their motivations crass and shallow, but in both cases it is their life to live.

So WRT Lewinsky I thought my friend's position that she was "abused" by the powerful man somewhat misguided. She was an adult at the time and decided to do what she decided to do. Implying she wasn't able to control herself or was somehow not able to refuse paints a rather insulting view of young women as weak creatures unable to control themselves. Frankly I felt the issue was between Clinton and Lewinsky or Clinton and Clinton. Consenting adults (and I'm leaving aside the discussion of Clinton lying about having the affair and the political firestorm that erupted). So fwiw I never saw any interview with Lewinsky that showed she was coerced in any fashion. Sure, maybe she was attracted to power and his charisma, but again, she is an adult and can make those decisions for herself.

As a tangent, I recently noticed a review of a book that argued that the increased number of single professional women in positions of power and authority is starting to change the "playing field" WRT sexual politics and relationships for some.

Anyway, predatory behavior with minors is never permissible. That is a given. But that's quite different from an older person who has a relationship with a younger adult (as contrasted with *child*). I may think less of the people involved as I may think they're acting on base, crude or shallow instincts, but as adults, well, that's what they get to do.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #30
NagaBaba

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
The law depends on age but also on whether the older person is in a position of authority or trust.

But it's true, if you're disappointed no one else did 'something' (talk with her parents, discuss with police or other authorities and ask them for advice), the exact same question applies to you as to any other adult there. If there was something potentially harmful happening to a child every adult who suspected it but didn't do something - which of course includes you as much as anyone else - is jointly responsible.

Diffusion of responsibility is often a culprit when people need help and no one helps them despite multiple people seeing -- everyone assumes it's someone else's responsibility to 'do something'.

OTOH, if the young woman was an adult unless the relationship was abusive it's not really anyone else's business. I might find a 30 year age difference very off-putting but so what? It's her life, not mine or yours. We're all free to live our own lives as we choose.
Good post Basia!

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 03-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #31
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

I just reread my post and felt I really should add something. I do think that some will get in to relationships for all the wrong reasons sometimes. Sometimes it's the appeal of experience/age/power/wealth/whatever. But that said people fall in love because they, well, fall in love, and it can be really complicated. In which case it just is what it is. Whether they're both 35 or whether one is 60 and the other 25. And even in cases where others on the sideline look sideways at a couple thinking they're in it for all the wrong reasons, I'm just happy that someone found another soul who loves them back. And hope for the best for everyone.

Kids -- watch and protect.

Adults -- live and let live.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #32
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

Quote:
Ashley Hemsath wrote: View Post
Well, primarily I have to ask if his attention was inappropriate ON the mat. Off the mat is no one's business but their own. If they intended to pursue a romantic relationship, I feel that speaking to the Dojo Cho would have been the respectful thing to do since he was teaching a class. It sounds like they have a steady relationship that has been ongoing for awhile and this wasn't some sort of fling designed to make him feel better about himself at the expense of the girl's self esteem. Plus, as a woman, I generally only date men 8-12 years older than me as a rule. I've found that the way my life has gone, I work better in a relationship with a man with more life experience.

On a side note, you do realize you will despise all of your daughter's boyfriends, right? If it isn't an age issue, there will be multiple other reasons for you to decide he's not good enough for your little girl. Keeping her out of Aikido for fear she will meet an older man may seem rational to you right now, but I assure you the teenage boys she goes to school with who will inevitably ask her out will be just as distasteful to you.

--Ashley
Thank you, Ashley, I love your answer. Now, I would like to add something:
Angry Father, let's talk about your daughter.
She's a teenager, and it might be time to talk to her about boys and men. You cannot raise her in a fortress, and if you want her to be a responsible and independent adult one day, you need to start teaching her now.
Wherever you will take her, or let her go, she will be in danger of attracting some pedophile's attention. You will not be able to follow her step by step wherever she will go, and she needs to be informed about the dangers out there. Not to mention the fact that preventing her to have some activities outside of her school is not recommended and will backfire one day.
So look for another dojo, if you feel that it will make you more comfortable, but we have a saying here that says: you know what you are leaving behind, but you do not know what you will find ahead.
You want to keep your little girl safe, your wife and you need to talk to her.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #33
David Maidment
United Nations

I have to say that I read the original post and felt a certain level of disgust.

What business is it of yours if a teacher someone pursues a student outside of the 'classroom'? I am friends with my sensei outside of training, and during class I'm fairly certain they extend a certain level of preferential treatment and attention to me; it's not necessarily fair, but it's human nature. Should he ignore someone he's got close to in 'real life', just because you have an irrational knee-jerk belief that there is something inherently wrong with an older man who is involved with a younger girl (by your own admission, nothing 'illegal' was taking place)?

And now they're in a happy, enduring relationship? How awful, sir. How truly awful. Lock up your daughter now, before she gets ensnared by someone who will stick by her for years.

Unless you have actual proof that something illegal transpired, I sincerely hope that you have kept these opinions to yourself; what you are implying (rather baselessly, from what you have said so far) can be extremely damaging to a person's reputation, career and personal relationships.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #34
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

Another thing, Angry Father. What worries me is not so much your reaction to the events that you witnessed but rather your attitude toward your daughter. Beware of the danger of over protecting her. And, also, since you are so worried about her safety - like any responsible parent should be -, Aikido might teach her a thing or two about fending off unwanted attention.
So what do you say?
Old 03-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #35
"danger run"
IP Hash: 938a6f98
Anonymous User

Quote:
Anonymous User wrote: View Post
Around the time of my shodan test my home dojo was joined by a returning aikidoist, a middle aged gentleman some decades years out of training, from a certain very proud lineage different. This is killing me; I love the art, but the culture that accepts and enables this repels me. What would you do?
Hard and fast reality check, no beating arond the bush. What is with the comprise mom? Any good parent would not question what to do. You sound like a good parent. How can a parent even make a choice between their child's welfare and a recreational activity. A 40 YEAR OLD MAN has no business with teenagers. This is an emotional and personal issue for me too. As a father who does aikido I would not hesitate to leave that dojo instantly.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #36
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Hard and fast reality check, no beating arond the bush. What is with the comprise mom? Any good parent would not question what to do. You sound like a good parent. How can a parent even make a choice between their child's welfare and a recreational activity. A 40 YEAR OLD MAN has no business with teenagers. This is an emotional and personal issue for me too. As a father who does aikido I would not hesitate to leave that dojo instantly.
Hi,
While I agree that grooming or behaviour of a sexual nature is clearly out of order if the girl in question is underage , if the girl in question is over the age of consent and both parties are happy to be together in a relationship built on a sound foundation, pray , make I ask , what has age got to do with it?People are human, what may well attract one person may well repel someone else. Older women , some quite famous, now marry much younger men.My own view is this, if two people care and respect each other and are of legal age what business is it of anyone else? A father or mother may well have reservations but in the end its the man/ woman who makes the decision.If the relationship is sound it will survive if not both parties will split up.This of course is quite normal in couples where the age difference is not so great.
Cheers, Joe
Cheers, Joe.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #37
lbb
United_States

Quote:
David Maidment wrote: View Post
I have to say that I read the original post and felt a certain level of disgust.

What business is it of yours if a teacher someone pursues a student outside of the 'classroom'?
Well, unfortunately, the answer to that isn't cut and dried. At the risk of oversimplifying, I think there are two issues -- speaking in the general case, not specific to this one.

The first is whether the student is being harmed. Let's leave age of consent out of it for the moment, and suppose the student was an adult. If you knew someone who was in a relationship and you believed that relationship to be abusive, what would you do? Possibly nothing. But possibly you would do something -- talk to the person that you believe is being abused, express concern, listen carefully to the answers, offer information on resources. You wouldn't be obligated to do any of that, and to some people, that would make it "none of your business". Other people see it differently.

The second is whether the student is under the age of consent, which varies a lot from state to state. In some cases, it's low enough that being below the age of consent virtually guarantees that the person's judgment is not mature enough for a sexual relationship. In others, it's high enough that by the time you can legally consent to sex, you can also join the military. You can see, therefore, that the age of consent doesn't tell you whether someone actually is capable of giving informed consent -- but as Zonker Harris once said, "It may or may not be wrong, but it sure is against the law." If one partner is below the age of consent, the adult partner is risking a world of legal hurt. Even if you think the relationship is fine and dandy and are favorably disposed towards the parties involved, you might drop a word to the wise and help them avoid a lot of trouble.

Quote:
I am friends with my sensei outside of training, and during class I'm fairly certain they extend a certain level of preferential treatment and attention to me; it's not necessarily fair, but it's human nature.
Eh. I understand what you're saying, but what if your sensei's preferential treatment makes other students unhappy? It's "not their business" to tell your sensei not to be friends with you, but the atmosphere in the dojo and the way that they are treated most certainly is their business. If your sensei takes a "not your business" attitude towards that, why would any other students stay?

Quote:
Unless you have actual proof that something illegal transpired, I sincerely hope that you have kept these opinions to yourself; what you are implying (rather baselessly, from what you have said so far) can be extremely damaging to a person's reputation, career and personal relationships.
Damaged how? OP posted anonymously, gave no hints and named no names.

You don't have to have proof to be convinced in your own mind that something is wrong, and just because it's not legally actionable doesn't mean there's nothing you can do, if the situation strikes you as wrong. At the most basic level, every person has the right to say, "I don't want to be around this" and walk away.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:33 AM   #38
David Maidment
United Nations

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
If you knew someone who was in a relationship and you believed that relationship to be abusive, what would you do? Possibly nothing. But possibly you would do something -- talk to the person that you believe is being abused, express concern, listen carefully to the answers, offer information on resources. You wouldn't be obligated to do any of that, and to some people, that would make it "none of your business". Other people see it differently.
This is a huge problem; the leap between 'older man and younger girl' to 'abuse' of some kind. I know you're not necessarily implying it, but we could infer abuse from any relationship that we don't approve of; I don't see any relevance for that being raised here.

The OP has told us both that nothing illegal transpired and that they are now still in an enduring (and from his disgusted description of the couple, happy) relationship. He has said nothing whatsoever to suggest that the sensei in question was ever anything other than decent.

And with regards to age of consent, Jesus... I don't even want to get started on that one. I agree; young people can't make informed decisions, but then most people don't really reach the level where they can until they're well into their thirties, at the very least. But it's also true that, when a child makes a decision, they know damned well what they're doing (if not being able to realise the full repercussions of their actions) -- we're far too comfortable as a society to strip children of any responsibility for their actions. So that issue is probably best left untouched, if no 'age of consent' laws were broken.

Quote:
Damaged how? OP posted anonymously, gave no hints and named no names.
I'm more worried about him saying or hinting at these things not-so-anonymously in the local community or even around peers, students or sempai of the sensei in question. He seems extremely angry and under those circumstances it is very easy to let slip with an off-hand remark.

If he has a genuine concern, he should speak to the police and provide them with evidence that something illegal has transpired. If not, he should let other people get on with their lives and just accept that people will willingly make decisions that he may consider bad ones.

Quote:
At the most basic level, every person has the right to say, "I don't want to be around this" and walk away.
What bothers me is that he has went beyond doing this, to say "My older daughter now entering her teenage asked me when she could join Aikido; my face fell. This is killing me; I love the art, but the culture that accepts and enables this repels me."

Why has no one taken issue with this? I could be wrong (and please correct me if I am), but it does not seem the case that he has considered finding a dojo for his daughter where people that he approves of teach, but rather that he's associating what he considers predatory and somehow-immoral behaviour with the Aikido community as a whole.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #39
"danger run"
IP Hash: 6cefebc2
Anonymous User

Many laws of consent are out dated. The antiquated thought of womenhood was based on primative ignorance of a woman's body and her identity was sorely abused. when a female child started menstration that deemed her marriage ready. Women where generally considered breeding chattel. Simply property of men of 20-50+ years old starring at the time of menstration. Completely disregarding what the girl may have felt. It seems reminents of such barbarian thought still hangs on. In these modern times it isn't acceptable.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #40
kewms

Quote:
Many laws of consent are out dated. The antiquated thought of womenhood was based on primative ignorance of a woman's body and her identity was sorely abused. when a female child started menstration that deemed her marriage ready. Women where generally considered breeding chattel. Simply property of men of 20-50+ years old starring at the time of menstration. Completely disregarding what the girl may have felt. It seems reminents of such barbarian thought still hangs on. In these modern times it isn't acceptable.
I'm not sure what your point is... Since modern law recognizes a right to bodily integrity -- ie, the right not to be raped -- non-consensual sex is always illegal. That's not what's at issue here.

Katherine
Old 03-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #41
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
I'm not sure what your point is... Since modern law recognizes a right to bodily integrity -- ie, the right not to be raped -- non-consensual sex is always illegal. That's not what's at issue here.

Katherine
Agreed...In fact there is no real issue here...The only thing I can see is that this man has an issue with his own morality and he thinks this particular Dojo and Dojo-Cho shares some of the "blame".

While the some laws (and minds) still need to be changed to address the equality of woman in our Society The facts are this person has no "case" here and is just wondering why his version of morality is not the norm.

I know allot of men and woman in relationships that share a 10 to 30 year age difference between partners. Who am I to judge? I myself am 51 and have been single a long time. I still wish to have a family. Do the Math. Thank God I live in a Society that allows for a normal healthy relationship to develop between two people regardless of age, race, or creed.

William Hazen
Old 03-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #42
LinTal
Dojo: Aikido Terrey Hills
Australia

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
The only thing I can see is that this man has an issue with his own morality and he thinks this particular Dojo and Dojo-Cho shares some of the "blame".

I know allot of men and woman in relationships that share a 10 to 30 year age difference between partners. Who am I to judge?
Age difference becomes a much more pertinant issue in youth; the question here isn't essentially (in my opinion) legality, but a reconciliation of headspace. A gap of 10-20 years at, say, the 18y.o. mark would be more more significant than one at the age of 30-40.

It's not about judging, as in placing an emotional quality on the situation. It's about judging to try our best to assess the merit and mutual benefit of a scenario or state as best we can.

As for the rest... I believe this thread has become largely speculative, hence the silence from many responders. Maybe some clarity by the o.p. on the issues raised could be shed. Otherwise, what's the point in going on as we've been? People being taken advantage of is clearly abhorrent, but the extent to which that has happened is questionable, and has been clearly questioned.

Last edited by LinTal : 03-25-2012 at 01:11 PM.

The world changes when you do.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #43
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

I see 2 different issues here.

1. You blaming your leaving Aikido on someone elses behavior.
2. A dojo feeling unsafe because of a predatory older male.

My thoughts on # 1: I would not feel comfortable practicing in that dojo. I would find another.
My thoughts on # 2: I would tell the leader of the first dojo why I was leaving.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 03-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #44
lbb
United_States

Quote:
This is a huge problem; the leap between 'older man and younger girl' to 'abuse' of some kind. I know you're not necessarily implying it, but we could infer abuse from any relationship that we don't approve of; I don't see any relevance for that being raised here.
I wasn't making the leap. If it wasn't crystal clear, I was pointing out that IF you suspect abuse, then you may feel you should do something, whether the victim is of the age of consent or not.

Quote:
The OP has told us both that nothing illegal transpired and that they are now still in an enduring (and from his disgusted description of the couple, happy) relationship. He has said nothing whatsoever to suggest that the sensei in question was ever anything other than decent.
Well, see, legal and decent are two different things, and clearly he didn't think it was decent. Whether you and I would agree is kind of beside the point.

Quote:
And with regards to age of consent, Jesus... I don't even want to get started on that one. I agree; young people can't make informed decisions, but then most people don't really reach the level where they can until they're well into their thirties, at the very least. But it's also true that, when a child makes a decision, they know damned well what they're doing (if not being able to realise the full repercussions of their actions) -- we're far too comfortable as a society to strip children of any responsibility for their actions. So that issue is probably best left untouched, if no 'age of consent' laws were broken.
I'm not in favor of treating adolescents as infants until they reach the magic age of majority, but there is also growing evidence of developmental (physiological?) differences that make younger people less capable of making a reasoned judgment -- not due to lack of information or even the means to process it, but due to a stronger (or perhaps less governed) tendency towards impulsiveness.

I think also that we in the United States have to struggle against a strong identification of impulsive behaviors as gratifying behaviors. It's been a strong part of product marketing for a long time, the sort of "hey, what the hell, if it feels good do it" approach, creating positive associations with impulsive behaviors: they're fun, they're how we reward ourselves, they indicate a free and adventurous and spontaneous character, etc. We don't have a culture that encourages the development of restraint (not to be confused with repressiveness). People like to dismiss our age of consent laws as a puritanical holdover, but I wonder if it's not also a recognition that we don't foster self-governing characters as much as we could/should.

Quote:
What bothers me is that he has went beyond doing this, to say "My older daughter now entering her teenage asked me when she could join Aikido; my face fell. This is killing me; I love the art, but the culture that accepts and enables this repels me."

Why has no one taken issue with this? I could be wrong (and please correct me if I am), but it does not seem the case that he has considered finding a dojo for his daughter where people that he approves of teach, but rather that he's associating what he considers predatory and somehow-immoral behaviour with the Aikido community as a whole.
Well, what's the point of taking issue? Anytime someone starts painting with that broad a brush, it's clearly not rational, so why would you bother to address it with a rational argument? "All suchandsuch are thusandso" is so obviously flawed, why even bother to address it? It's not like the person who made the statement is going to say, "Hmm, you know, you're right! The aikido community is NOT immoral and predatory as a whole!"
Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #45
chubbycubbysmash
Dojo: Long Island Aikikai (Bay Shore)
United_States

*slowly raises hand...*

Um, can I just say that my fiance is 12 years older than me, was and is still my Aikido teacher, met when I was 20, dating when I was 21, been together for two years and we're now about to waltz into our happily ever after with our wedding just a month away, and not once did I feel like I was coerced or interested in his "power?" In fact, we ended up liking each other OFF the mat (because he's pretty much strict and professional and has the emotional capacity of a rock on the mat) so the whole teacher-student thing, especially to two consenting adults, pretty much means zilch to me, although one or two people did express the thought that it was "indecent."

Although I wonder if it's a cultural thing as my parents were actually quite supportive of it. Those people quickly changed their minds though, after getting to know me better, seeing us together, and what our relationship was able to bring out so we effectively have everyone's blessings.

I do think 17 is a bit young, but there are quite a few mature 17 year old out there who can handle older relationships. Like a previous poster, I had and have trouble connecting with boys my age and tend to prefer older company for more intellectual pursuits. Try convincing a typical 23 year old boy to indulge with you into the teachings of the Dalai Lama and you'd get quite a few blank stares.

Now, that's not to say there aren't strange and creepy and predatory people in ANY community, no matter which one you go to (I can't think of one that isn't, except maybe the deceased), that may prey on the weak and naive and defenseless--but at a certain point you have to say: I've given my child enough skills for him/her to know the signs, and to make informed decisions. I cannot protect him/her from all the evils of the world, so I need to trust that he/she will know what is best for himself/herself.

I think it depends on the age and maturity level of the child in question though, but requires the parent to truly know their child's capabilities, and not dismissing or downplaying it. I know all parents would be horrified if their children made a choice they don't agree with, regardless of age, but that the choice may not be "wrong." Just different.

If my child chose a path I disagreed with, and if it was not illegal to do so, I would express my displeasure but I would not stop them (unless of course it results in health or life-threatening situations) as long as they were not living under my roof. My house, my rules. Don't like it, you may leave and support yourself and be the adult you wish to be.

I do find the blanket statements about age and maturity (although often correlated, does not hold true all the time) a bit off putting, particularly because to many people, my age would afford the the respect of a "child." But my life experiences and responsibilities (multiple home-owner, multiple business owner, having been primary caretakers of hospitalized and aging grandparents and an immature younger sister when my own parents had other duties to attend to) would place me into the category of someone who is considerably older.

I also know of several people who are well into their late 30's and those well into their 70's who, although adult in a physical sense, are considerably childish in their emotional capacity and ability to deal with different situations.

So I guess my question is: who sets the standard for what counts as moral or immoral, decent or indecent, adult or child, when no laws have been broken?

I'm not brave or smart or particularly generous, but I'll take my values and live by them--and that is my standard measurement of strength.

Visit Us!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #46
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
.....My own view is this, if two people care and respect each other and are of legal age what business is it of anyone else? A father or mother may well have reservations but in the end its the man/ woman who makes the decision. If the relationship is sound it will survive if not both parties will split up. This of course is quite normal in couples where the age difference is not so great.
I couldn't agree more with you Joe and you will see why once I finish my story after this other quote....

Quote:
Josephine Fan wrote: View Post
Um, can I just say that my fiancé is 12 years older than me, was and is still my Aikido teacher, met when I was 20, dating when I was 21, been together for two years and we're now about to waltz into our happily ever after with our wedding just a month away, and not once did I feel like I was coerced or interested in his "power?"
I am along for the ride here with you. I met my husband in a dojo when I was in 9th grade- don't be alarmed yet!!! He was more or less just another person in the dojo and I paid him no mind for the longest time. In fact, many of those years, I had boyfriends my age. It wasn't until I was 20 that I became attracted to him. An unusual set of circumstances that I was going through had my world falling apart and he became a great friend to me and that friendship slowly grew into something more.
At that time, he was an instructor of mine (he was not an instructor of mine until about a year before that) and was teaching me tai chi and aikido. My main martial arts instructor had a big issue with it because he was in a position of authority over me.... and then there is the age difference. He is older than my parents.... He was in his early 50's when I met him. Disturbing to some.... disgusting to others. To us, it was love.

We were able to keep things professional on the mat. In fact, if anything, he kept more distance away from me in an attempt to not give me preferential treatment and he also wasn't the main teacher, so things worked out fine. That was back in 2005.... now we are going on almost four years of happily wedded marriage and we are still practicing martial arts together. I have found it surprising that among my seminar travels that we are not the only huge age gap couple in the aikido community (I'm talking 20 years plus). Nor are we a rarity that a teacher and a student ended up happily married.....

I'm not saying what we did is right for everyone, but it was right for us. It could have been right for the couple in your dojo too IF she was of legal age at the time. Some states also have really tricky legal consent age things. Like Delaware (I think) is 17, but the other person also has to be within five years age wise… so if anything sexual was going on, then that relationship is still considered illegal. Once they are of age though, then that five year rule goes out the window. Or at least that is what the law used to be… could have changed by now…

BOTTOM LINE: If your daughter wants to do aikido, let her. Find her a dojo you are happy with. The past is the past. You can't change what you did or didn't do.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #47
chubbycubbysmash
Dojo: Long Island Aikikai (Bay Shore)
United_States

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
...I am along for the ride here with you. I met my husband in a dojo when I was in 9th grade- don't be alarmed yet!!! He was more or less just another person in the dojo and I paid him no mind for the longest time. In fact, many of those years, I had boyfriends my age. It wasn't until I was 20 that I became attracted to him. An unusual set of circumstances that I was going through had my world falling apart and he became a great friend to me and that friendship slowly grew into something more.

At that time, he was an instructor of mine (he was not an instructor of mine until about a year before that) and was teaching me tai chi and aikido. My main martial arts instructor had a big issue with it because he was in a position of authority over me.... and then there is the age difference. He is older than my parents.... He was in his early 50's when I met him. Disturbing to some.... disgusting to others. To us, it was love.
Yes yes, precisely! I thought he was just another person, and quite an unremarkable person at that because he's introverted and I didn't notice him at all, except for the fact that I took his classes. Also count me in for the unusual set of circumstances (although it was he that was going through it at the time) and we ended up being good friends that developed into something more.

Even to some of my peers it was strange, but you can't help who you love, right?

I'm not brave or smart or particularly generous, but I'll take my values and live by them--and that is my standard measurement of strength.

Visit Us!