Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Peter Boylan
United_States
How much do you trust your partners in the dojo?

In the dojo we have to trust our partners with our health and safety. How much do you trust them, and why? My blog post about this is at http://budobum.blogspot.com/2013/08/trust-in-dojo.html

Peter Boylan
Mugendo Budogu LLC
Budo Books, Videos, Equipment from Japan
http://www.budogu.com
Old 08-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: How much do you trust your partners in the dojo?

Lovely post.
What I have always found interesting is that when you remove talking and social status and the other things that people tend to gauge another's "trustworthiness" and you just have in-the-body to go by, you can develop a deep level of trust and appreciation for a person who you otherwise know virtually nothing about.
Via meeting people on the mat over the years, there are people around the world I count as friends and would literally trust my life with OFF as well as on the mat yet have significant world-view differences with - because we trust each other, we respect each other and can agree to disagree.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Rob Watson
United_States

Sweat forms bonds that words can never approach.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
Sweat forms bonds that words can never approach.
So very true, and well said.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
OwlMatt

Dojo: Milwaukee Aikikai
United_States

I really liked this, but wouldn't this thread be better suited to the External Aikido Blog Posts forum?

Old 08-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
Peter Boylan
United_States

I considered the external blogs area, but that seems to be dominated by a guy who numbers his posts and is working to drive people away from the section. I thought this area would generate a more interesting discussion thread.

Peter Boylan
Mugendo Budogu LLC
Budo Books, Videos, Equipment from Japan
http://www.budogu.com
Old 08-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Cady Goldfield
United_States

Quote:
Peter Boylan wrote: View Post
I considered the external blogs area, but that seems to be dominated by a guy who numbers his posts and is working to drive people away from the section. I thought this area would generate a more interesting discussion thread.
"Two Hundred and Thirty-Seven"
I don't believe there is any intention of driving people away; more that the poster is simply unaware of the effect this approach is having.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Xanth

Dojo: Henderson Aikido, Henderson Nevada
United_States

I trust my partners only as far as I can throw them.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
ChrisMikk

Dojo: Mugenjuku
United_States

I trust one of my instructors in the Yoshinkan Kenshusei Program completely because his throws are always spot-on and strong, and yet he also has concern for our physical wellbeing tries to avoid having get injured.

Another instructor is very good but I am concerned that he is slightly sadistic.

Payet-sensei has never thrown me. I have seen him throw other people very hard when they weren't expecting it. BUT, he has so much control, I would let him do anything and assume he would adjust his throw to my level of ukemi.

The other students I don't trust so much because of their lack of consistent performance.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
Basia Halliop
Canada

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Lovely post.
What I have always found interesting is that when you remove talking and social status and the other things that people tend to gauge another's "trustworthiness" and you just have in-the-body to go by, you can develop a deep level of trust and appreciation for a person who you otherwise know virtually nothing about.
Via meeting people on the mat over the years, there are people around the world I count as friends and would literally trust my life with OFF as well as on the mat yet have significant world-view differences with - because we trust each other, we respect each other and can agree to disagree.
The way I often think of this is 'actions speak louder than words'. You can have long conversations with people and still only know who they want you to think they are, or even if they're honest, who they think they are. In the case of trustworthiness, someone may tell you they're trustworthy, but those are the kinds of words that are meaningless. On the mat you can see for yourself who's trustworthy (and who's NOT!). You also get to know people a different way -- again, you see more how they actually act and react to things.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
IvLabush
Czech_Republic

IMHO trust derives from few skills. One it's ukemi to make sure that training partner can take technique without serious injuries. Another one is a skill to create "aggressive attack" that include not only physical but mental skills also. Border line of trust lies down near by skill to control "aggressive attack". If one create full speed and full mental attack mostly "all than one can" and able to stop attack to prevent some damage it must be the best training partner. Usually it's more qualified student. Sometimes anyway we receive attacks and shows our good ukemi

Old 08-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

"The truth always comes out on the mat."
Rafael Martinez sensei

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 08-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #13
lbb
United_States

Trust depends on (at a minimum) intentions and capabilities: the intention to train safely, and the capability of doing so. I've been blindsided twice in training by someone whose intentions were good, but whose capabilities were less than what they needed to be. Either time, it could have ended very badly.