Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States
"Internal training, Aiki, and empowering Aikido" Seminar w/Dan Harden

Event:
" Internal training, Aiki, and empowering Aikido"
A private workshop for teachers only with Dan Harden
Date: Tentative --summer 2009
Location: Massachusetts (several locations in central Mass are being considered and will be finalized by mid April).

This seminar is a continuation of the workshops already taking place at Dan's Dojo with advance level aikido students and teachers from New England. This will be the first time Dan is making his research into the Japanese arts and the resultant training practices of his private dojo available on a national level. He is reserving his first national event as an opportunity for teachers to begin training privately. The goal is to offer a workshop for professionals in a neutral environment, with an emphasis on learning and understanding internal power and aiki in a global sense, while undertaking the difficult task of taking that first step into personal training and integration of the concepts into your own art.

The work shop will cover introductory basics of the system Dan has developed and used successfully with hundreds of students and teachers from a wide range of martial arts. Dan will outline the training in such a way as to make the relevancy to martial movement immediate, clear and accessible. Included will be:
• A presentation of how the martial arts take advantage of natural and common postural failures and methods for building a bujutsu body that moves antithetical to the "principles" most martial arts use as their foundation for defeating the common body frame.
• How the trained body can begin to take care of itself automatically while delivery non-dedicated force to create openings in a live environment.
• An emphasis on specific training tools (solo and paired) to develop internal power, and specifically how it relates to aiki connections in a martial context.
• Creating and maintaining a structure supported on all sides and how to strengthen it with breath training exercises.
Study guides and teaching materials will be provided to participants for further study at home The material covered; while benefiting aikido greatly will not be "specific" to just the aiki arts like Aikido and Daito ryu, but any grappling or striking art, so teachers from other disciplines are welcome.

This will be a closed seminar with no pictures, video, or visitors allowed. Participants are required to fill out an application (available by e-mailing Dan @ homeoffice@charter.net ) for further details and to be considered for a spot. People may or may not be accepted by Dan's sole discretion.
Seminar fee is $180.00 for both days (no partial attendance or single days) and will include fresh fruit and beverages during training. Local hotel discounts will be offered.
Teachers who have practiced under Akuzawa, Mike Sigman or Dan in the past and wish to attend will be offered a discount.
Dan will be available for private lessons on Monday for those interested.

*This will be the first of three seminars Dan will be hosting this year. Others will be offered that are not reserved for teachers.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
thisisnotreal

Re: "Internal training, Aiki, and empowering Aikido" Seminar

This is unbelievable.

Wonderful!

This is gonna get innnerestin'....
Old 03-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
gdandscompserv

United_States
Thumbs up Re: "Internal training, Aiki, and empowering Aikido" Seminar

Go Dan!
I'll stay tuned for the beginner level seminars.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

Can the title of this be changed to have "with Dan Harden" added to it?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
DH
United_States

Maybe
Seminar with Dan Harden-"Internal training, Aiki, and empowering Aikido"
If I have a choice
Thanks
Dan
Old 03-27-2009, 06:27 AM   #6
Mark Jakabcsin
Dojo: Charlotte Systema, Charlotte, NC
United_States
Re: "Internal training, Aiki, and empowering Aikido" Seminar w/Dan Harden

Dan,
Great idea. I am sure it will be a blast and eye opening. Best of luck.

Take care,

Mark J.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

why go for teachers? those folks don't need no internal stuffs other than a good dimsum buffet? besides, they have been trained with lots of bad habits, and would take too long to de-program, if even at all possible.

now us beginners on the hand, whichever other hand, have not accumulated bad habits so it would be easier for us. so for us nobs we can stuff internal stuffs in, whereas, teachers have to stuff the internal stuffs out. i think i just confused meself.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

forgot to ask, will there be "internal training for dummies" seminar? I would like to sign up for that. I am sure Ricky would want that as well.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
forgot to ask, will there be "internal training for dummies" seminar? I would like to sign up for that. I am sure Ricky would want that as well.
YES! That is exactly what I'm looking for.
"internal training for dummies"
Brilliant!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #10
DH
United_States

Guys
I am going to do another seminar shortly. Please don't use phrases like dummies. I see no difference between students or teachers who are learning unfamiliar material, or tuning material they already know or what have you.
The only difference in teaching teachers is that they are in a position to effect change in a greater capacity. As a business or information dissemination model, it makes perfect sense. Reach a greater number of people to effect change.
Teachers can return to their dojos and start "practicing the material" as part of regular dojo time at their discretion. It has been my experience that these people return and openly tell their students they are "working on some new stuff" and also tell them with who. Again from my experience it has been a rather open discussion.
So I would ask you-what are your goals?
Lets review the posts on aikiweb. Students have been writing in here for a few years now talking about the frustrations of not being able to practice this new training when they wanted to. Some even quit or took a break from Aikido to get this.
"Fair enough." I said.
How about if I can help fix that?
How about teaching the teachers who control those classes. Could I get them interested enough, so that students could actually train aiki in an aikido dojo? Well, I have been quietly testing that out for a few years now. I took a chance that really might have blown up in my face. We could be talking about some real negative experiences here couldn't we?
Good news
It is working out rather well. The teachers love it-many of whom have been searching for this kind of material most of their careers and not getting it. The students are enjoying the fact that there teachers are letting them practice it and I can say I helped.
Hey, I'm just trying to do the best I can manage with time allowed.
I can't wait to meet some of the guys who have been writing me. I think we will have a great time sweating together and raising a few later.
Cheers
Dan
Old 03-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Maybe
Seminar with Dan Harden-"Internal training, Aiki, empowering Aikido, and Kaboodle pizza "
If I have a choice
Thanks
Dan
Fixed.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:20 AM   #12
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Talking Re: "Internal training, Aiki, and empowering Aikido" Seminar w/Dan Harden

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
now us beginners on the hand, whichever other hand, have not accumulated bad habits so it would be easier for us. so for us nobs we can stuff internal stuffs in, whereas, teachers have to stuff the internal stuffs out. i think i just confused meself.
Don't worry Phi, you have enough bad habits to qualify as an instructor....

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 03-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
MM
United_States

For what it's worth ...

Of the people training with Dan, I think I'm the only one doing it long distance. With that in mind, if anyone has any questions about long distance training in regards to what Dan's teaching, you are more than welcome to ask me about my experiences. I don't log into Aikiweb very often anymore, so it's best to send an email to "markmurray" at "ma.rr.com". Remove the quotes.

Mark
Old 03-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #14
DH
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
Well I get the what and why of what you're trying to do Mr Hardin just perfectly... and I am going to do my best to get there (unemployed and broke or not)...

I would love to share my experiance of it with all the West Coast Shoji Nishio Adherents and since I feel it will make our Aikido better for having been exposed to it perhaps it will lead to bigger and better things in the future like getting one of your senior students or you out here someday.

William Hazen
Hey!!!!
When did I become "Mr. Harden" to you!!
Well the economy is affecting my business worse than I have seen in my adult life. If it keeps going this bad I might have time to make it there myself this year!! After watching Nishio's movement for years...particulalry for things he is noted for...yes I think that might prove to be interesting for both.
I hope to offer you some interesting perspectives if you can make it here as well. Then what is sure to prove to be interesting discussions after.
Cheers
Dan
Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #15
DH
United_States

Update
I am narrowing in on dates. It appears July may be out. There are too many conflicts with everyone's schedules and some just cannot swing it. Jun and Aug are still open. For those who have not sent in their available weekends yet please do so soon. We are trying to settle on a date by mid April.

It might be worth noting that the on-going work here with aikido teachers who run and manage active dojo's is an on-going collaborative specifically addressing incorporating this training into relevant martial movement within their aikido. To which they are reporting demonstrable improvement; both publicly and behind the scenes with their own students and fellow teachers in the art. Which according to the responses I am receiving- was more widely known than I had realized!
I am going to cap this at 20 people in order to get more hands-on work done.
Cheers
Dan
Old 04-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #16
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Hey!!!!
When did I become "Mr. Harden" to you!!
Well the economy is affecting my business worse than I have seen in my adult life. If it keeps going this bad I might have time to make it there myself this year!! After watching Nishio's movement for years...particulalry for things he is noted for...yes I think that might prove to be interesting for both.
I hope to offer you some interesting perspectives if you can make it here as well. Then what is sure to prove to be interesting discussions after.
Cheers
Dan
So there is a silver lining after all. Sorry about your business Dan, but if it gets you out here to Southern California, what can I say?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #17
DH
United_States

Update:
I have only three spots left. If you're are interested- now is the time. This filled up much faster than I ever expected.

After reviewing the schedules sent in, I am narrowing it down to the last two weekends in Jun or the first two weekends in August. This helps the majority of those interested.
I am finalizing the date by 4/22/09.
See you there
Dan
Old 04-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #18
dbotari
Canada

Dan,

Any update on the final date? Will you post the date here or only contact the attendees with the information?

Thanks,
Dan Botari
Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 AM   #19
DH
United_States

Quote:
Dan Botari wrote: View Post
Dan,

Any update on the final date? Will you post the date here or only contact the attendees with the information?

Thanks,
Dan Botari
Hello Dan
I lost internet and Cable for a while there. I'm back up and sending replies. It looks like we are narrowing down to the first two weekends in August.
I will post it here and contact everyone by email this week.
There are a still a few spots left and thats going to be it.
Cheers
Dan
Old 04-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #20
David Orange
Dojo: Aozora Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Hello Dan
I lost internet and Cable for a while there. I'm back up and sending replies. It looks like we are narrowing down to the first two weekends in August.
I will post it here and contact everyone by email this week.
There are a still a few spots left and thats going to be it.
Cheers
Dan
Oh, I want to be in that number!

Looking forward to it!

David

"That which has no substance can enter where there is no room."
Lao Tzu

"Eternity forever!"

www.esotericorange.com
Old 04-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #21
dbotari
Canada

Dan,

Thanks for the update. I look forward to hearing more.

Cheers,
Dan
Old 05-08-2009, 08:58 AM   #22
DH
United_States

Update
I am pleased to announce we have finalized the event date and site. I did my best to accomodate the teachers busy schedules. I realize some won't be able to make it but it seems the best for the majority.
The event will take place on August 1st -2nd
It will take place at the
Sturbridge Host
Hotel & Conference Center on Cedar Lake

Link Here
This is a lovely lodge style conference center with lake-front and indoor and outdoor amenities. It is almost across the street from old Sturbridge Village; One of the country's largest living history museums, and a national landmark preservation site
Link Here
Discount room rates are available for $109 dollars (doube occupancy), but there are many cheap digs in the area from $50 and up. All within a mile or so away.
Link Here

Schedule
Sat, 9 to 12
Lunch 12 - 2p.m.
Afternoon session 2:30 to 6 p.m
Same for Sunday

There has been much discussion about the exhaustion level and concern for knees and such. My approach is mentally and physically exhausting but anyone can do it and when and IF someone gets a little tired, nothing is missed by sitting out and listening and taking notes. The goal is to provide a training platform, materials and an overall understanding of basics to take home and work on with your students.
Many of the local teachers have asked to attend as well. So those new to the work will get to talk with, feel and brain storm with their peers from 4th to 6th dan in Aikido (and other arts as well) and how they are incorporating thsi training back into their aikido.
That said we have quite a bit of fun with much laughter at our get togethers while getting a lot of work done. It is my goal to have people walk away with a clear view of the material, its purpose and goals in solo training, and a clear understanding of its use in live and very martially effective, platform ot empower their Aikido.

With the nature of some of the recent discussions here I think it will be enlightening to be face to face with 5 and 6th dan teachers with decades of experience with the top shihan in the world and hear THEIR opnions on just how relevant this training is to Aikido. Then hear them clearly state why they believe thiis IS aikido and more's the point, the best power they have felt.

Due to the local teachers offering to help -and me finding a larger space-I have extended registration and will hold a few more spaces open. I will be sending out PDF registration forms and payment requirements all weekend.
Hope to see you there
Dan

Last edited by DH : 05-08-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:48 AM   #23
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Dan, if I can make it I will try and come. I cannot predict my schedule out that far yet.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #24
DH
United_States

Update
I was delayed in sending the registration information due to a small glich on the Hotel/ conference center side. The resolution has worked out well for us in the long run.
We are on for August 1 and 2nd and we have a large air-conditioned space overlooking Cedar lake, fresh sliced fruit, with an attached tavern and full bar at night and hotel rooms for $109 double occupancy. with swimming, boating, Sturbridge village and some good budo people.
They are offering us a catered dinner at deeply discounted rates right on the conference center grounds. I will contact people privately and see if there is a consensus for that
Stay tuned

I will begin emailing tonight.
Cheers
Dan
Old 05-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #25
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Yaaaahoooooo!

William Hazen