Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
jacksharp73
Dojo: one world aikido lakecity seattle washington
United_States
Grr! the hakama,why cant we all get along?

i love aikido,i just wish that we could all come together and stop the insanity of training in your underwear!!!! the black belt should be enough people,it is in all the other MAs the hakama is a part of OUR AIKIDO suit so why in hells damnation can't those of us with overgrown hyperinflated selfabsorbed egos just get over it and let everyone wear the proper uniform for our training,both physically and spiritually?i say again that i love aikido i do not like at,the rudeness in our aikido family!!!!!!!

Old 02-07-2008, 02:45 AM   #2
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: the hakama,why cant we all get along?

at least by restricting hakama to yudansha newbies don't have to fork out for one until they know they're serious.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 02-07-2008, 03:08 AM   #3
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

Quote:
training in your underwear
  1. Internet fable #10 - A dogi is not bloody underwear, please, let's kill this one once and for all
  2. hakama's suck big time and the only reson anyone ever wants to wear it is either "it looks cool, see me flow" or "I look like I know what I'm doing and look at the respect I'm getting"
Fellow aikidoka, become free and burn your hakama with me. Let us remove the cullots which hamper our liberty and martial effectiveness and joyfully hit each other in the face, ribs and groin the way it's meant to be.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:08 AM   #4
petra
Dojo: samourais,Eindhoven

Wearing a hakama (usually in our dojo after grading 4th kyu, and at seminars after grading 2nd kyu) means you can take care of yourself during a technique. You know what is going to happen and you know how to break your falls. I am always much more careful with people without a hakama (that I don't know from the dojo's I train at) because they may not know what's coming.
Furthermore, hakama's are expensive if you are, for instance, a student on a very small income. So better make sure you are serious about aikido before buying one.
But I can also understand some of the confusion about wearing hakama's at different dojo's in different countries. Some wear them from day 1, others after 2nd kyu, some after 1st kyu, some after black belt... and my personal favorite, different rules for men and women (I really don't get that one)
I also noted some confusion about wearing a black belt after grading shodan (or higher), some do others don't and I know of 1 guy who's belt colour depends on what's in the laundry.
Anyone, any thoughts on that?

Petra

I haven't failed, I have found 10.000 ways that won't work.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:55 AM   #5
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Petra Aarts wrote: View Post
Wearing a hakama (usually in our dojo after grading 4th kyu, and at seminars after grading 2nd kyu) means you can take care of yourself during a technique.
Anyone, any thoughts on that?
I always believed tori's mission was to take care of uke, regardeless of rank or clothes they're wearing.

On topic:

I think there is some people who show too much attachment to transient things like grades, hakama wearing , keikogi fabric/label/colour... however, if these things make them happier, i'm happy too.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:33 AM   #6
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Ian Hurst wrote: View Post
  1. Internet fable #10 - A dogi is not bloody underwear, please, let's kill this one once and for all
  2. hakama's suck big time and the only reson anyone ever wants to wear it is either "it looks cool, see me flow" or "I look like I know what I'm doing and look at the respect I'm getting"
Fellow aikidoka, become free and burn your hakama with me. Let us remove the cullots which hamper our liberty and martial effectiveness and joyfully hit each other in the face, ribs and groin the way it's meant to be.
Hear, hear!
Old 02-07-2008, 06:33 AM   #7
lbb
United_States

Quote:
hakama's suck big time and the only reson anyone ever wants to wear it is either "it looks cool, see me flow" or "I look like I know what I'm doing and look at the respect I'm getting"
Hear, hear. I got my fill of hakama in jodo. They're a big PITA, and I'm hoping to never have to wear one in aikido.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 AM   #8
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

you folks are missing the major point with the hakama. you know how we use parachute to decrease terminal velocity? same thing with the hakama. middle ranking folks (sort of like middle managers) tend to spend fair amount of time air borne and axed at the same time.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:27 AM   #9
gdandscompserv

United_States

But I look soo sexy in one.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:49 AM   #10
DonMagee
United_States

I will never wear a hakama. Too much effort to wear and fold. Never going to happen.

As a side effect, if my aikido teacher ever decides to grade me (not likely as we have an verbal agreement), he can never grade me to brown belt as his rules require a hakama, and that means I could not come to class.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 02-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #11
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States

Fashion.

I like practicing Aikido, I'd do it in a pair of tighty-whiteys.
Who cares whether they're wearing the "fancy" pants or not?

If my technique is so smoking hot that I can't for the life of me figure out how to progress any further in that area, then, maybe I will really start to focus on improving my martial fashion sense.

However, if my Sensei were to request I wear a Hakama, I'd do it, His House, His rules.

W.

p.s. - I'm sure it happens, but, I rarely here about a similar controversy from students of other arts. I have a pal who practices Ninpo, I have never heard him say anything along the lines of: "Oh man, I can't wait till I'm allowed to wear the fancy toe seperating ninja socks (tabi)!!!!!"

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 02-07-2008, 09:04 AM   #12
Ketsan
Dojo: Zanshin Kai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Hear, hear. I got my fill of hakama in jodo. They're a big PITA, and I'm hoping to never have to wear one in aikido.
My relationship with my hakama degenerated to the point that it tried to murder me in Iaido.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #13
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote: View Post
My relationship with my hakama degenerated to the point that it tried to murder me in Iaido.
funny
Old 02-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #14
CarrieP

United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
you folks are missing the major point with the hakama. you know how we use parachute to decrease terminal velocity? same thing with the hakama. middle ranking folks (sort of like middle managers) tend to spend fair amount of time air borne and axed at the same time.
Hee! Got a chuckle out uof that one. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:21 PM   #15
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

One of the funnest things is watching a new shodan, wearing his Hakama for the first time, starting zemp Ukemi (rolls) and discovering he has to relearn it. I still remember the shock, almost a decade after.

I have seen more Shodans tryig to wiggle out of wearing Hakama, then beginers wishin to wear one.

The only thing Hakama is good for, is Iai practice. Oh, and don't forget getting your feet and others stuck in the middle of movement\roll.

Amir
Old 02-07-2008, 03:56 PM   #16
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
you folks are missing the major point with the hakama. you know how we use parachute to decrease terminal velocity? same thing with the hakama.
I've read in another forum the tale of a guy surviving a motorbike accident because the parachute effect of his hakama... seriously, i swear.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #17
SentWest
Dojo: East County Budokai
United_States

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote: View Post
at least by restricting hakama to yudansha newbies don't have to fork out for one until they know they're serious.
Hallelujah, more money for weapons.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:20 PM   #18
Nelson Bricker

United_States

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
I've read in another forum the tale of a guy surviving a motorbike accident because the parachute effect of his hakama... seriously, i swear.
But did he fly off the bike because of the same reason??

Now my hakama and me have a love hate relationship depending on the week, but it definitely gives you a new feel at times and if you actually take the time to tie it tight it feels really good and together. My dojo lets you get a hakama after you pass your first test and prove you can take ukemi well enough though so I can't comment on the big egos, but I also don't test often.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:45 PM   #19
eric_lecaptain

United_States

i dont wear one as i am new but from my prospective, they look really cool.
however, from a practical stand point, they are completely useless.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #20
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

After 20 Years I still don't know how to fold one and other than perhaps learning how to someday LOL I never give my Hakama another thought.

It's just another pair of pants.

WIlliam Hazen
Old 02-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #21
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
William Hazen wrote: View Post
After 20 Years I still don't know how to fold one
"How to fold a hakama (Japanese technique)"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spMuo...eature=related
Old 02-18-2008, 02:32 AM   #22
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

I don't fold it.

The time time my yudansha partners spend folding theirs I spend telling the kyudansha how much are they progressing, answering their waza related questions (if i know the answer, of course) and encouraging them to train. Then I throw the magic pants in the bag so they learn themselves how to blend with the keikogi.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 AM   #23
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

My hakama folds itself...

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 02-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #24
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
[*] hakama's suck big time and the only reson anyone ever wants to wear it is either "it looks cool, see me flow" or "I look like I know what I'm doing and look at the respect I'm getting"
nuh uh! I look cool all by myself, my mom said so ! And if I burn my Hakama what excuse will I have when I trip over my own two feet?!
...er, not that this happens to me...I have this...uh...friend, though.
On a less serious note though, I do enjoy the little meditative moment at the end of each training session in which I fold my hakama.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #25
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Uniforms, traditions, customs and courtesies.

They are both good and bad.

They establish heritage, order and discipline, that is necessary for the sustainment of an organization.

At the same time, they can inhibit growth and learning, and become the central focus.

Moderation as in anything is key.