Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-16-2005, 12:11 PM   #1
bennettdjr
Dojo: Aberdare Aikido Club
Wales
You know what would be really cool...

Hi,
Ive just had a really cool idea. How cool would it be for every member of AikiWeb to meet and hold a training session. Can you imagine how big a dojo you would need. Prehaps its not that much of a bad idea for people from different cultrues, religions, countires etc to meet when you all have something in common.
What does everyone else think?
Dave

Though there are many paths
At the foot of the mountain
All those who reach the top
See the same moon.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:48 PM   #2
malsmith
Dojo: Masters of Aikido in Fogelsville
United_States
Re: You know what would be really cool...

i think that is an amazing idea... but how would we ever agree on one place? and it would be really cool to meet the people that ive been reading for a while.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:53 PM   #3
Sue Hammerich
Dojo: Full Circle Aikido
United_States

PARTY AT DAVE'S!!!!!!!!!!! WEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Old 01-16-2005, 01:29 PM   #4
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Sue Hammerich wrote:
PARTY AT DAVE'S!!!!!!!!!!! WEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
It's been done, hasn't it? ...or was that aikido-L?...

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 01-16-2005, 07:17 PM   #5
DevinHammer

Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
United_States

Perhaps it would be workable to pick an already established seminar, like some major dojo's summer retreat, and get as many AikiWeb people there as possible. Then, we could meet at a prearranged location to get everybody familiar. That way, as I'm sure has happened in the past, we wouldn't all be drifting around the seminar, not realizing that we are training with people we already know.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:47 PM   #6
thomas_dixon
United_States

Quote:
David Bennett wrote:
Hi,
Ive just had a really cool idea. How cool would it be for every member of AikiWeb to meet and hold a training session. Can you imagine how big a dojo you would need. Prehaps its not that much of a bad idea for people from different cultrues, religions, countires etc to meet when you all have something in common.
What does everyone else think?
Dave
Good idea. I don't take AIkido, so could I still come?
Old 01-16-2005, 10:34 PM   #7
Keith_k
Dojo: Kim's Hapkido
United_States

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
Good idea. I don't take AIkido, so could I still come?
I second those sentiments...
Old 01-17-2005, 01:17 AM   #8
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote:
It's been done, hasn't it? ...or was that aikido-L?...
Doesn't Stan Pranin's Aiki Expo do the same?

rgds
Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 01-17-2005, 07:40 AM   #9
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
Doesn't Stan Pranin's Aiki Expo do the same?
Lets all meet at California State Uiniversity at Domiguez Hills (just south of Los Angeles, CA) May 27, 28, & 29, 2005. That is the Aiki Expo. Should be great.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-17-2005, 08:16 AM   #10
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

The aidkido e-mail list held annual seminars in the US and Europe, starting in 1998. Of about (Jun?) 600-800 subscribers, most of the sems will see about 70-100 folks show up.

US Seminars:
98, San Antonio, TX
99, Merrifield, VA (Wash DC)
00, Boulder, CO
01, Indianapolis, IN (my honeymoon seminar, BTW, wedding was Thursday, Sem started Friday)
02, Palo Alto, CA (missed that one, dammit)
03, Toronto, ON, Canada
Jun, did you guys do one in 04? What's the plan for 05? Anybody up for a Texas mini -sem in late March?

Europe:
00, Utrect, Netherlands
01, Windsor, England
02, Berlin Germany
03 didn't happen for a veriety of reasons
04 was slated for Istanbul, Turkey, but has shofted to 05 due to logistics and such

More details and photos at www.aikido-l.org, look under 'seminars' ...

Chuck

Old 01-17-2005, 08:21 AM   #11
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
Lets all meet at California State Uiniversity at Domiguez Hills (just south of Los Angeles, CA) May 27, 28, & 29, 2005. That is the Aiki Expo. Should be great.
Easy for you Californians, but for us Massachusetts natives it would take more time and money than I can afford to spend. I'm hoping to discover a long-lost maiden aunt who'll leave me her fortune. No luck so far on that front, so I'm hoping for a New England event someday.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:08 AM   #12
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Wendy Rowe wrote:
I'm hoping for a New England event someday.
Yeah, I won't be going until it's closer to the midwest.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 01-17-2005, 12:33 PM   #13
Keith_k
Dojo: Kim's Hapkido
United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
I would be willing to make it to this event, provided it is open to non-aikidoka like me. If others can't make it we could just have a mini-aikiweb gathering

edited for spelling
Old 01-18-2005, 03:48 PM   #14
bennettdjr
Dojo: Aberdare Aikido Club
Wales

Im totaly up for a party at my house but i dont think everyone will get in. Although the idea is nice i think it would be near imposible to do, as alot of europeans may not wish to travel to america and alot of americans may not wish to travel to europe. Although it is something to think about. Does any one know roughly how many members there are for Aikiweb? The airline company would love us if we did decide to meet somewhere.
Dave

Though there are many paths
At the foot of the mountain
All those who reach the top
See the same moon.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:18 PM   #15
akiy

Hi folks,

AikiWeb actually hosted its first "AikiWeb Workshop" in Greensboro, North Carolina last year with its instructors being Chuck Clark sensei, Dennis Hooker sensei, and Ellis Amdur sensei. All in all, we had a great time over the weekend. I'm now considering what to do as a follow-up!

As with the past two times, I'll be at this year's Aiki Expo. AikiWeb had a table the first year, but since I was too busy training, I didn't have any time to be there so I didn't do so last year.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 01-19-2005, 03:42 AM   #16
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

Quote:
David Bennett wrote:
...alot of europeans may not wish to travel to america and alot of americans may not wish to travel to europe. ...
Europeans to America: Good travel deal right now with the US dollar in the toilet.

Americans to Europe: You can still find decent deals to get here, though the strong Euro makes staying here pricey. However, Eastern Europe is still affordable and very interesting.

As for sems, Emily and I have talked about doing a European Wood and Steel but logistics have eluded us so far.

Chuck

Old 01-19-2005, 06:52 AM   #17
TheWonderKid
Dojo: Memorial University Aikido Club
Canada

Though I'm not really a regular here, as I read much much more than I post, I would enjoy a gathering like that,

Cept I'm in Newfoundland Canada where I'm a university student, thus I can go no where for such a meeting, unless everyone wanted to come here.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:42 AM   #18
Grant

Dojo: Aikidaily International Academy
Canada
Thumbs down Re: You know what would be really cool...

Quote:
Owen Matchim wrote:
Though I'm not really a regular here, as I read much much more than I post, I would enjoy a gathering like that,

Cept I'm in Newfoundland Canada where I'm a university student, thus I can go no where for such a meeting, unless everyone wanted to come here.
I hear Newfoundland will be hosting it's first ever Atlantic Summer Camp August 8 to 12, 2005. Maybe we could all meet there to inaugurate the event.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:19 AM   #19
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

So it sounds like there may be a lot of regional Aikiweb meetings for seminars until we can work out the best way that everyone can get into the same place it seems (e.g. US East Coast, West Coast, Central, Europe and Asia having their own mini seminars).

I am still in Orange Beach, Alabama for the Gulf Coast Martial Arts Winter Camp (which was over the weekend). Mark Barlow who I met here on Aikiweb is the main organiser of this event and one of the seminar instructors. Also got to meet Robert Carver of Budoseek.net who was also a seminar instructor. So in a sense we had a mini web forum link up for training here in Alabama this week. So another option for link ups with Aikiweb folks may be via Camps, Workshops and Seminars held by dojos for other reasons as well. Btw the camp was cool, some very good instruction - it was interesting to see the common principles and applications shared among Jujutsu, Aikido, Hapkido and Kali at that camp.

These workshops are great for the widening of one's understanding in martial arts and making links and friendships with people in ways that can evolve beyond the common thread of martial arts training imo. Soon I'll be returning to Maryland to cross train in some Aikido dojos. After I return to Trinidad I'll be off again to Barbados to meet a couple more Aikiweb folks at Rocky Izumi's dojo. It will be great however if a lot of us can meet up in one place to train and share ideas.

If anyone wants to have a seminar in the Caribbean let me know .

LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 01-19-2005, 09:37 PM   #20
Janet Rosen

Well, for any folks in the SF Bay Area, longtime aikido-l member and former contributor to aikiweb columns Chuck Clark is going to be in San Jose in February and several aikido-l folks from various affiliations are coming out for that--it is listed in the seminars section of aikiweb. Strongly recommended.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 01-20-2005, 06:11 AM   #21
TheWonderKid
Dojo: Memorial University Aikido Club
Canada

Quote:
Grant Babin wrote:
I hear Newfoundland will be hosting it's first ever Atlantic Summer Camp August 8 to 12, 2005. Maybe we could all meet there to inaugurate the event.

Yes that event is being put together by our dojo actually (yet it's on the opposite side of the island, figure that one out?)

Right now I'm planning on staying in for summer school and it happens that exam week is that week. So I'm hoping to be able to work something out with my profs to let me go, since I should only have one or two exams (with luck). But unfortunately I won't know until then.

If I can go, I was planning to put up a notice on here and see if anyone else from here was going as well. It'd be nice to put some faces with the names.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:30 PM   #22
Bradence
Bhutan

There will be a seminar in June at the university of Victoria in British Columbia this year with Doshu and Kawahara Sensei. I was planning on going to that one, might be fun for people on the west coast.

Brad
Old 01-23-2005, 01:38 PM   #23
SeiserL

United_States

There will be a social meeting on Friday evening of the Expo.
For those who can attend, lets plan on meeting.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 01-24-2005, 03:45 AM   #24
ruthmc
Dojo: Wokingham Aikido
United Kingdom

Quote:
Chuck Gordon wrote:
Europe:
00, Utrect, Netherlands
01, Windsor, England
02, Berlin Germany
03 didn't happen for a veriety of reasons
04 was slated for Istanbul, Turkey, but has shofted to 05 due to logistics and such
Hey Chuck,

Europe 03 was in Bristol, England. Did happen - I was there

Ruth