Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-06-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
Jenn
United_States
Weight Loss with Aikido Training

Now that I've completed my beginner class, I am wondering if anyone has ever successfully lost weight with Aikido training?

I am currently carrying about 40-50 extra pounds from a pregnancy. Belech! I'm also nursing still, and for some reason my body is resistant to weight loss while nursing (this is my second child, so I've seen this pattern before.)

I have not lost any weight so far in the 8 week beginner class.Well, like 1 or 2 pounds maybe, but hardly discernable. Disappointing, considering my diet remained unchanged and I increased my activity level with Aikido 3 hours a week. I do however notice that now that I am in the all-levels class (which I've only gone to twoce now), that I am building up a sweat and such. Just curious if this bodes well for finally seeing some weight loss! Maybe it just won't kick in until my baby weans - either that or I need to take up running or something too.

Oh I should say for any lurkers.. even with the extra weight I've found Aikido to be one of the more enjoyable and facilitating physical activities I've tried. For those who read my Ukemi post.. I can now keep pace with the open class doing rolls down the mat from a standing position without any discomfort. (Pace, mind you, not quality!) I recommend it for anyone looking for an activity for those with some extra weight who feel intimidated at gyms! Lots of fun and the focus is on loftier things than how you look in a halter top.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:49 PM   #2
Erik
Re: Weight Loss with Aikido Training

Jenn,

weight loss is determined by a simple formula

Calories In - Calories Out

If you do enough to get that amount to a negative 3,500 you lose a pound.

Depending on the beginners class it's possible that you didn't burn all that many calories. For instance, a relatively paced beginner's class might burn you an extra 300 calories, or less, per class leading to the following math:

300 * 3 times/wk * 8 weeks = 7,200 calories burned, or, in other words, your 2 pounds. So, yes, you are burning weight right on schedule.

Any of the following will help you lose weight:

1) Up the class intensity.
2) Up the length of your classes
3) Attend more classes per week.
4) Add in weight training
5) And probably the most important, cut some calories from your diet.

In regards to #5, cutting 230 calories a day will take off nearly 2 pounds a month.

It's all math and it's all very clean.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai

I thought women tended to lose weight when they nursed.

Bummer.

Old 09-06-2005, 11:29 PM   #4
Janet Rosen

Also bear in mind that with aikido training you may be putting on some muscle--esp in legs--and muscle weighs quite a bit. So eat right, train, and see if you don't at least redistribute nicely over the longer run!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-07-2005, 12:54 AM   #5
Mark V. Smith

Dojo: Seikeikan

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
...and muscle weighs quite a bit...
Muscle also increases your metabolism 24/7 so it is your friend in fat-loss. I have found that the best workout from aikido is being uke, having to pick my carcass up off the mat over and over . More reps, more reps, more reps, less talk and correction. Just train.

Mark V. Smith
Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento
Chief mat inspector

Aikido Rocks! (Ukemi Rolls)
Old 09-07-2005, 04:40 AM   #6
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

Hi Jennifer,

I lost 40 pounds after I started aikido (3 years ago) and I have kept it off. I eat better than I did pre-aikido (thanks to my teachers who knew I was not eating as much as and what I should) and I go to class just about everyday.

Once you really get moving, you can't help but get in better shape. At least at my dojo, heh. All that up and down....and a sensei who is like the Energizer Bunny.

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 09-07-2005, 07:43 AM   #7
Erik

Quote:
Mark Smith wrote:
Muscle also increases your metabolism 24/7 so it is your friend in fat-loss..
This is true, sort of, but it's a trivial amount, far less than most people think, and probably well under 10 calories per pound of muscle per day. Fat, by the way, also increases your metabolism. It's also very unlikely that she gained any muscle from a beginners class.

Frankly, from someone who tracks this kind of thing, she lost exactly the amount of weight she would have been expected to lose.

Here's a link, from an author whose name I don't even know, but it seemed pretty solid on the topic.

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/news/cals.htm
Old 09-07-2005, 10:09 AM   #8
vjw
Dojo: Rochester Phoenix
United_States

Quote:
Erik Haselhofer wrote:
This is true, sort of, but it's a trivial amount, far less than most people think, and probably well under 10 calories per pound of muscle per day.
According to the American Council of Exercise (ACE), the figure is 35 - 50 calories per pound of muscle and 2 - 3 calories per pound of fat.
My own training and work as a trainer supports this.

Jennifer, try the ACE discussion board for advice from professional trainers (http://acefitness.infopop.net/3/OpenTopic) or contact a nutritionist. Professional advice is important to both you and your new baby.

Good luck with your Aikido, fitness and diet,
Vic
Old 09-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #9
Erik

Quote:
Victor Williams wrote:
According to the American Council of Exercise (ACE), the figure is 35 - 50 calories per pound of muscle and 2 - 3 calories per pound of fat.
My own training and work as a trainer supports this.
Unfortunately, I don't agree, but I don't have time right this second to enter into a lengthy debate on it.

Jennifer, you should run, and run far, if someone's tosses their ACE certification at you as a badge of excellence. It's the absolute bare, bare minimum someone should have in this industry, nothing more. This, by the way, is from someone who used to be ACE certified. Stick to NSCA or ACSM certifications.

And Jennifer, welcome to the wonderful world of fitness where everyone has an opinion, everyone has a study, and a lot of it is wrong.

Last edited by Erik : 09-07-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
Erik

From the ACSM site:

Quote:
Weight Lifting Exercise: Some fitness enthusiasts have promoted the idea that because regular weight lifting can increase skeletal muscle mass, such exercise will dramatically increase RMR. However, it is estimated that each pound of muscle burns about five-10 calories per day while at rest, so you would have to bulk up quite a bit to increase your RMR. Most people who lift weights for health rather than for body building will not increase their muscle mass enough to have a major effect on RMR.
http://www.acsm.org/health+fitness/p...fitsoc0704.pdf

I'll keep looking for the technical data while I hijack this thread all to hell.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:18 PM   #11
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States

I've experienced rapid weight loss while aikido training -- almost all of it was water, however... Slippery uke's are harder to pin

My best advice is to work on your training, and concentrate on a proper, committed attack -- guaranteed to raise your heart rate, and improve your ability to take ukemi. (That'll distract you from you concerns about your figure, if nothing else does.)

Weight loss will happen if energy output is consistently greater than energy input. Do not extraordinarily step up your fitness regime to try to force a rapid loss -- this stuff takes time. Keep your meals small and regular - 4-5 times per day, just like the baby (okay, maybe not as often, at first - some of these little ones like feeding every hour) -- and you should be well on your way to normal in a couple of months.

And remember -- it took 9 months to acquire what you have -- carry it with pride!

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 03-15-2011, 03:31 AM   #12
rmorrison100
Dojo: FL
United_States

Quote:
Jeanne Shepard wrote: View Post
I thought women tended to lose weight when they nursed.

Bummer.

I also thought about that. But anyway, I think just continue your aikido training plus with your proper diet. Surely you will get back again with your ideal weight.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:11 AM   #13
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

High intensity workouts in short bursts lasting at least half an hour up to an hour!!! At least 3 times a week or every other day regular... short rests in between 30 seconds max.....
Cut down on refined carbs, eat plenty of vegetables and fruit, pulses. Eat proteins such as nuts, chicken, fish, eggs, a little red meat.
Anti oxidants such as red berriies, grapes, etc etc and believe it or not dark chocolate (75% stuff) in small doses.
Don't exceed 2300 calories a day for men and 1900 a day for women,
Drink plenty of water, cut out alcohol..... works for most....
Old 03-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #14
raul rodrigo
Philippines

In the run-up to my shodan exam, I lost over 25 lbs training 5 or 6 times a week. Went from 177 to 151 in about four months. I was actually able to drive it down to 147 a little later, but at that point, I was beginning look gaunt. So I eased off. I can't train 5 times a week now. But the weight has stayed off.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #15
dps

Reduce carbohydrates such as bread, rice, pasta and starchy veggies such as potatoes.

dps

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #16
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium

Hi,

I doubt that aikido makes you thinner.
When looking at the bellies many (male!) aikidoka carry around it looks rather as if it had the opposite effect.
I even think I added weight since starting aikido, but then maybe there is one or more muscle getting stronger.

But I'm an engineer, not a health/ fitness/ medicine expert...just an observation for what it's worth.

Best regards,

Eva
Old 03-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #17
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Weight Loss comes from calorie deficit over a extended period. If you eat enough, you can run a marathon (or two) every day and dont lose weight.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #18
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Reduce carbohydrates such as bread, rice, pasta and starchy veggies such as potatoes.

dps
Yes that's good advice, works for me
Much depends on one's make up....
http://www.mens-total-fitness.com/ec...mesomorph.html
Old 03-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #19
dps

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
High intensity workouts in short bursts lasting at least half an hour up to an hour!!! At least 3 times a week or every other day regular... short rests in between 30 seconds max.....
Tony your above quote and Kieth's post about milk reminded me about the 1950's weight lifter Paul Anderson.

http://www.cbass.com/ANDERSON.HTM

"In an excellent chapter on Paul's training and diet, Randy Strossen writes that Anderson recognized early on that "the legs and back were the key to one's strength." As mentioned above, his early training was devoted mainly to the squat. "Paul combined short, intense workouts throughout the day, with periods of rest," Strossen writes. For example, he would do 10 reps in the squat with 600, rest for about 30 minutes, and then do a second set of 10. After another 30 minutes rest, he would increase the weight to 825 and do three reps, rest again and do two more reps with 845. Then he would rest again and conclude by doing half squats with 1200 for 2 or 3 reps and quarter squats with 1800. The whole routine took three hours or more. He would sip milk during the rest periods, consuming a gallon or more throughout the course of the day."

"He eventually squatted 1160 before reputable witnesses at Muscle Beach and again on The Ed Sullivan Show before a national television audience."

The weights are in pounds.

Dave the Endomorph

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #20
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

In most disciplines, you won't lose much weight in the beginner's class. Now that you have graduated to the all level class, you should sweat more, and see more results.
And don't forget, muscle is heavier than fat. Your clothes, your mirror and your husband will do a better job at telling you how much weight you have lost than your scale.
Also, if you keep up with the fun, your fitness level will gradually increase, and you will be able to exercise longer and more often.
And, finally, don't obsess about your weight. Even if you do not get back you your pre-teen weight, the exercise will make you healthier and happier.
So just go train and have fun!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #21
Janet Rosen

Just a reminder to those actually replying to the OP...this thread is over 5 years old... :-)
carry on....

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #22
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Tony your above quote and Kieth's post about milk reminded me about the 1950's weight lifter Paul Anderson.

http://www.cbass.com/ANDERSON.HTM

"In an excellent chapter on Paul's training and diet, Randy Strossen writes that Anderson recognized early on that "the legs and back were the key to one's strength." As mentioned above, his early training was devoted mainly to the squat. "Paul combined short, intense workouts throughout the day, with periods of rest," Strossen writes. For example, he would do 10 reps in the squat with 600, rest for about 30 minutes, and then do a second set of 10. After another 30 minutes rest, he would increase the weight to 825 and do three reps, rest again and do two more reps with 845. Then he would rest again and conclude by doing half squats with 1200 for 2 or 3 reps and quarter squats with 1800. The whole routine took three hours or more. He would sip milk during the rest periods, consuming a gallon or more throughout the course of the day."

"He eventually squatted 1160 before reputable witnesses at Muscle Beach and again on The Ed Sullivan Show before a national television audience."

The weights are in pounds.

Dave the Endomorph
Tiny the gorilla endomorph (according to my daughter) I eat bananas to ooo ooo

I just do 100 squats per day, just slowly rather than quick, sometimes I'll do 50 slow then 50 fast, but most days slow.... all the way down and all the way up Isometric/Isotonic, 30 sec rest then isometric sit against a wall till failure.....
Press ups in sets of 20 to 30 done slowly up to 100 with 15 - 20 sec (Henry Sensei's type on the back of the wrists) rest in between sets. Trunk ab curls in sets of 20 holding at the apex for 5 secs, last one for ten x two sets.... sometimes I'll miss a day and do suburi outside, usually around a 1000....
Isometrics one can do anywhere and will give one a boost if feeling lethargic....
Somedays I'll do a fast 2 mile walk... I hate running....
Keeps the mucles guessing
Old 03-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #23
Susan Dalton
Dojo: Greensboro Kodokan

Hi Jennifer,
I've been doing aikido a while, and it does a great job keeping me in relatively good shape, but I need additional exercise to lose weight. (I'm currently trying to do just that and have lost 14 pounds.) I was on bedrest during both my pregnancies and the last time did me in. When I came back to aikido, my sensei advised me to do abdominal exercises and that irritated me and I did not. Now that I'm doing Pilates, I wish I'd taken his advice years ago. (My youngest is almost 18--I'm a slow, sometimes stubborn, learner.) Strengthening my core has helped my back issues, too.

I have lost weight doing aikido, but that was training at a higher rate than I normally do, like doing 50 falls after every class while working toward my nidan.

I wish you the joy that aikido has given me, whether you lose weight or not.
Susan
Old 03-16-2011, 02:03 AM   #24
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

It is finally becoming clear to me that fitness is truly a lifestyle. It took me getting older and being tied down to a chair for a greater portion of my days to understand this.

Regular exercise is not the same as being active.

You can exercise for an hour every day of the week, but if you are otherwise sedentary and eat a poor diet, genetics aside, you will not be fit.

Far too many of us do not stand and walk enough. And we tend not to appreciate the difference that non-exercise activity levels have on our overall health.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki