Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-01-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
bob_stra
Australia
Aikido as an alternative to judo kata?

Hello all - long time no see

Fate seems to have rekindled my interest in aikido. I posted this over at the judo forum but would also be keen to read your responses.

I've been practicing judo for 4-5yrs now. For the past 18months, I've been training at a 'competitive' club. My judo has become stronger and more sudden. Sadly (I think) it has also become 'too muscular'. Personally, I don't like this trend.

Judo has some very aikido-esque kata's in it. Primarily nage-no-kata. I had the good fortune of experiencing some kata training a while back. My most distinct memory was 'wow - this feels exactly like aikido'.

Sadly, I am no longer able to train judo katas (no kata partners).

Suppose I wanted to explore the benefits of such "kata practice" (eg: developing kuzushi, not muscling things etc).

In your opinion, would 1 day a week of aikido confer similar benefits?

Bear in mind that aikido is not judo - so perhaps it would be detrimental?

I'm taking this from the p.o.v. of a kata alternative, not necessarily as a method of learning aikido per se. Though, of course, I have interested in aikido.

Oh - and FWIW - I in trained yoseikan aikido for about 6months almost...what...3yrs ago, with a few more recent dabbles inbetween (ie: at judo seminars). My aikido experience is not that recent nor that great.

What do those who have done similar things think?
Old 06-01-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
bob_stra
Australia
Re: Aikido as an alternative to judo kata?

Sorry - silly me. For reference:

Nage no kata

Clips
http://home.tkhabc.com/~g.prinsen/

Overview:
http://www.judoinfo.com/katanage.htm

Last edited by bob_stra : 06-01-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

Bob,

I love judo so much. I miss randori free play with one partner. I hope to pick it up soon with a guy at our aikido club, when i'm healthier.

IMHO if you are muscling judo you will muscle aikido. Return to your ukemi - feel the joy of falling, totally relaxed. You can't have a shortage of people who will practice their throws on you!

Once you remember then branch to sacrifice throws and counters Only. Do not 'shoot' or initiate any movement at all. Visualize yourself as a small child with no strength, what will you do?

just my humble thoughts

dave
Old 06-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
DonMagee
United_States

Usually, if I'm successful at using my strength in judo it is because i'm not training with training partners with enough skill to challege me. That might not be your case, but I find that with more advanced partners my strenght means nothing.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 06-01-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
kaishaku

I think it would be beneficial. But also keep in mind that you may end up doing lots of practice involving, say, shomen uchi instead of collar and elbow clinch.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

I probably shouldn't reply because I have no real judo experience, but considering the similar natures of Aikido and Judo, it seems to me they would compliment each other quite nicely.
I was tossed around like a rag-doll by a former olympic-level judoka, and when he was saying I did the technique "better" (it was still pretty weak) Sensei said I was using too much muscle. I think the difference was that the judoka was looking for me to generate more force than I was in trying to move him, while Sensei was trying to get me to move him more easily. Of course, I personally have no real knowledge of who had the better advice, but by all accounts I've heard Sensei knows his stuff, so I'm inclined to think Aikido would be a good way of making one's coordination better while lessening the demand for muscle.

Last edited by mathewjgano : 06-01-2006 at 07:00 PM.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 06-02-2006, 02:35 AM   #7
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

Quote:
Bob Strahinjevich wrote:
Judo has some very aikido-esque kata's in it. Primarily nage-no-kata.
If you think that is aikido-esque, you should check out the Kime no Kata and the Goshin Jutsu no Kata!

I don't know if cross training in aikido might help your judo, but I'm sure it would be fun even if it doesn't.

Do you have any Shodokan within commuting distance? There are some kata in the syllabus that I think you'd enjoy.

Sean
x
Old 06-02-2006, 03:01 AM   #8
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

When I looked at the Kodokan Goshin-jutsu and Kime-no-kata syllabus, I thought I was looking at aikido.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:31 AM   #9
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

I'd second Sean's comment here. Check out your local Shodokan dojo (if you have them) and you'll probably enjoy it a lot.

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-02-2006, 07:33 AM   #10
billybob

Dojo: Academy of Warrior Spirit
United_States

Following Dr. Kano's principles of facing an opponent with 10 units of strength. If I unbalance him he has 4 units, and my 5 will overcome him. If I push or pull my 5 units against said opponent when he is in balance he feels like stone; if he's good he 'isn't there' and I go flying. good times!

If you can overpower someone in a fight - Do it! If the opponent is twice your strength what will you do? Let him try to overpower you, and you are not there - he goes flying.

Simple. (to say)

David
Old 06-02-2006, 08:07 AM   #11
JAMJTX
Dojo: Aikibudo Seishinkan
United_States

I have simultaneously trained in Judo and Aikido. The 2 arts blend together very nicely and are complimentary, given that they essentially work on the same principles.

The "aiki" feeling you describe doing kata is what Judo is supposed to be. The "muscle" feeling is the difference between American Judo and Japanese Judo. The idea in American Judo is to pick your opponent up and throw him down. In Japanese Judo, the idea is to break his balance first.

Doing Aikido once a week will probably give you back some of what you miss about Judo kata. It may also help you put some of the Ju back into your Judo.

Jim Mc Coy
Old 06-03-2006, 09:28 PM   #12
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

Kyuzo Mifune's judo kata were so aikido-like it amazed me to see films of him.

Try to find his film for some inspiration.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:15 AM   #13
Aristeia
New Zealand

Hey Bob, good to see you floating around Aikiweb again.
I trained judo and Aikido very briefly and personally found that the footwork got in the way of each other. Having said that I only did it for a few month and it may well have sorted itsefl out over time. Plenty of people do both successfully so that's my bet. The question really lies around whether once a week will do the job or just distract you. I'd say that'll come down to your individual learning style, and the particular styles of Aikido and Judo that you create. IOW only you can asnwer the question having tried it for a while.

Yes that means I have been no help whatsoever '-)

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 06-04-2006, 10:17 PM   #14
bob_stra
Australia

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote:
Hey Bob, good to see you floating around Aikiweb again.
I trained judo and Aikido very briefly and personally found that the footwork got in the way of each other. Having said that I only did it for a few month and it may well have sorted itsefl out over time. Plenty of people do both successfully so that's my bet. The question really lies around whether once a week will do the job or just distract you. I'd say that'll come down to your individual learning style, and the particular styles of Aikido and Judo that you create. IOW only you can asnwer the question having tried it for a while.

Yes that means I have been no help whatsoever '-)
LOL. Thanks Michael - long time no see

(and thanks all!)

I have some stuff to ponder over

Last edited by bob_stra : 06-04-2006 at 10:19 PM.