Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Introductions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
vonryan

Dojo: Dublin Tomiki Aikido
Ireland
Greetings!

I was great to discover the AikiWeb forum a few years ago shortly after beginning my Aiki journey, I've read with great interest many an article by notables within the Aiki world that have been inspiring and insightful.

....I suspect that the AikiWeb platform employs some very sophisticated AI functionality that "detects" when an account registrant has reached some minimum level of understanding before their account can be activated.... to my great surprise I received notification yesterday.

Thank you AikiWeb

Regards and Respect,

Von Ryan

The home of Sport Aikido in Ireland

W: www.tomikiaikido.ie
F: /dublintomikiaikido
Old 03-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Re: Greetings!

Welcome. I just think Jun only has time to update the web page and confirm new members once or twice a week

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 03-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Hello. Welcome to AikiWeb.

I suspect that AikiWeb is like other web forums such as E-Budo. The 'sophisticated AI functionality' there is not particularly A, since the administrator is the one who manually checks IP addresses and user names and then decides whether to accept or reject. We made these changes to avoid spammers.

Incidentally, I practice aikido, but have very fond memories of a Tomiki club in Brighton (UK), which I used to frequent when I was a student. It was run by a man named Wells, but we all called him Tolly. My teachers were Aikikai and were Japanese, but training there was sometimes a welcome change. Later, after I came to live here, I learned much more about the history of aikido and studied Kenji Tomiki's interesting life and activities. I knew two of his direct students: one named Shigenobu Okumura, in the Aikikai, and another named Fumiaki Shishida, in the Tomiki organization in Japan.

Do you have any contact with any Aikikai dojos in Dublin?

Best wishes,

Peter Goldsbury

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 03-17-2018 at 07:03 PM.

P A Goldsbury
Old 03-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #4
akiy

Hi Von,

Welcome to AikiWeb! Sorry for the delay in processing your registration.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
vonryan

Ireland

Quote:
Peter Goldsbury wrote: View Post

I suspect that AikiWeb is like other web forums such as E-Budo. The 'sophisticated AI functionality' there is not particularly A, since the administrator is the one who manually checks IP addresses and user names and then decides whether to accept or reject. We made these changes to avoid spammers.

Incidentally, I practice aikido, but have very fond memories of a Tomiki club in Brighton (UK), which I used to frequent when I was a student. It was run by a man named Wells, but we all called him Tolly. My teachers were Aikikai and were Japanese, but training there was sometimes a welcome change. Later, after I came to live here, I learned much more about the history of aikido and studied Kenji Tomiki's interesting life and activities. I knew two of his direct students: one named Shigenobu Okumura, in the Aikikai, and another named Fumiaki Shishida, in the Tomiki organization in Japan.

Best wishes,

Peter Goldsbury
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the message.

I started my journey briefly within an Aikikai school (which moved). Although now a "Tomiki" man and I do go off reservation every so often to the Dublin Aikikai to maintain contact with that community and widen my Aiki vocabulary.

I have listened to many of your online interviews and read a number of your very insightful articles. I think that you would be a very interesting person to chat to even briefly. I would be interested privately in your analysis of Nariyama Tetsuro as well as of Fumiaki Shishida from an Aikido development perspective (both of whom are at loggerheads as shihan / president of their own association.)

What was your impression of the Tomiki way at the time? ..what is it now?

Jeremiah

Old 09-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #6
vonryan

Ireland

Quote:
Peter Goldsbury wrote: View Post

Best wishes,

Peter Goldsbury
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the message.

I started my journey briefly within an Aikikai school (which moved). Although now a "Tomiki" man and I do go off reservation every so often to the Dublin Aikikai to maintain contact with that community and widen my Aiki vocabulary.

I have listened to many of your online interviews and read a number of your very insightful articles. I think that you would be a very interesting person to chat to even briefly. I would be interested privately in your analysis of Nariyama Tetsuro as well as of Fumiaki Shishida from an Aikido development perspective (both of whom are at loggerheads as shihan / president of their own association.)

What was your impression of the Tomiki way at the time? ..have you had any recent contact ....has it changed in any way?

Jeremiah

Old 09-19-2018, 09:42 AM   #7
dps

Smile Re: Greetings!

Quote:
Von Ryan wrote: View Post
I was great to discover the AikiWeb forum a few years ago shortly after beginning my Aiki journey, I've read with great interest many an article by notables within the Aiki world that have been inspiring and insightful.

....I suspect that the AikiWeb platform employs some very sophisticated AI functionality that "detects" when an account registrant has reached some minimum level of understanding before their account can be activated.... to my great surprise I received notification yesterday.

Thank you AikiWeb

Regards and Respect,

Von Ryan
Welcome.

I started in Aikikai and and later trained in Tomiki style. Since my Aikikai training was much longer than the Tomiki I would often slip into the Aikikai style of the technique. Totally confused uke.

dps

Last edited by dps : 09-19-2018 at 09:44 AM.

Go ahead, tread on me.